FiiO Hybrid IEMs Discussion & Impressions Thread
Nov 21, 2020 at 8:49 AM Post #736 of 2,767
You need a better amp not a better dac. You wont hear any differences with a more expensive dac.

And it isnt about volume either.
Thanks, I have never dealt with this so I don't know anything. So sorry in advance for some stupid questions.

So any recommendations for 80% listening on a MacBook and 20% on iPhone for under 100/150$?

When I'm watching movies I'm connected to the Denon AVR-X1600H, do I need something here?

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2020 at 8:59 AM Post #737 of 2,767
Thanks, I have never dealt with this so I don't know anything. So sorry in advance for some stupid questions.

So any recommendations for 80% listening on a MacBook and 20% on iPhone for under 100/150$?

When I'm watching movies I'm connected to the Denon AVR-X1600H, do I need something here?
No need to change anything with the denon I think.

You could go with a bluetooth dac/amp like the Fiio BTR5, Earstudio ES100 or the qudelix 5K.

Otherwise I would go the Ifi Hip-dac or the XDUOO XD-05 basic. You could probably get a separate adapter from usb c to lightning for your iphone and maybe your mac if it doesnt have a usb-c port.

EDIT: I do recommend that you get a good source because that means that you can forget about it for a long time and just focus on the transducer instead.

Especially since this happened: https://www.prosoundnetwork.com/business/akm-factory-fire-shakes-up-pro-audio-industry

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2020 at 9:02 AM Post #738 of 2,767
Little bit off topic here but do I really need a DAC when my source is to 80% a MacBook? It's driving my IEMs very good (just listening on level 1 to 3 of 16).

Maybe for my iPhone I'm considering to buy one of those small Headphone Amp dongles.
Well I think the Macbook will drive them just fine but as I said, you will get the best of them with a decent amp, Its not only a matter of volume. You can get decent amps for 100 or less and they would improve the sound of all your IEMs (Fiio btr5 is my recommendation for his price-quality)

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2020 at 9:18 AM Post #739 of 2,767
Thanks, this is great help. Gonna read some reviews now.

Last stupid question: How do I connect a headphone amp to my Macbook (2 USB C ports and headphone jack) when I don‘t use bluetooth?
Because the USB C ports on my Macbook don‘t work with audio when I connect my IEMs with a dongle. Have to use the headphone jack.

Nov 21, 2020 at 9:21 AM Post #740 of 2,767

Last stupid question: How do I connect a headphone amp to my Macbook (2 USB C ports and headphone jack) when I don‘t use bluetooth?
Because the USB C ports on my Macbook don‘t work with audio when I connect my IEMs with a dongle. Have to use the headphone jack.
I am afraid that I cant help you with apple products. It should just be as simple as connecting it to the usb-c port.

Nov 21, 2020 at 10:02 AM Post #741 of 2,767

Use a USB C to what ever USB connector is your headphone amp input happens to be.

Here is one amp worth investigating: https://www.fiio.com/q3

Nov 21, 2020 at 10:22 AM Post #742 of 2,767
Use a USB C to what ever USB connector is your headphone amp input happens to be.

Here is one amp worth investigating: https://www.fiio.com/q3
I didn't mention the q3 because it has high output impedance (2 ohms) and low output power (300mw) relative to the others in that price range.

Nov 21, 2020 at 11:52 AM Post #744 of 2,767
Ifi hip dac works well with the FH3 as well as many other iems/headphones. It will also fully unfold MQA if you use Tidal - something you are not getting from your Mac or any Bluetooth unit.

Connect it with usb c directly and enjoy. I also use a few Dragonfly products, and for the amount of crap some give them, they sound good and are extremely convenient and portable. No balanced outputs or physical volume adjustment (which is very nice) like the hip dac, but full 24 bit processing.

I notice a big difference when using an outboard dac/amp vs my Mac, and if you plan on expanding your collection to some harder to drive headphones, it will be a must. Good luck!

Nov 21, 2020 at 12:20 PM Post #745 of 2,767
I didn't mention the q3 because it has high output impedance (2 ohms) and low output power (300mw) relative to the others in that price range.

I'm an Apple user and have found that FiiO is quite Apple-friendly. I was mainly going by my experience with FiiO and Apple products, not with specifications. You bring up good points.

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2020 at 12:55 PM Post #746 of 2,767
Forgot to mention another DAC AMP which is often overlooked because of the brand and its advertised as gaming product, the Sound Blaster Xg6. For me its better sounding and more versatile than loads of 200+ dac amps, plus its lightweight. It has insane amount of power, can easily drive all the cans you throw at them, and It's capable of 32 bit 384 khz. You can get it under 100 on black friday and for that price it's such a steal.

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2020 at 1:23 PM Post #747 of 2,767
Forgot to mention another DAC AMP which is often overlooked because of the brand and its advertised as gaming product, the Sound Blaster Xg6. For me its better sounding and more versatile than loads of 200+ dac amps, plus its lightweight. It has insane amount of power, can easily drive all the cans you throw at them, and It's capable of 32 bit 384 khz. You can get it under 100 on black friday and for that price it's such a steal.

It isn't really Apple-friendly. Nicely spec'd, though.

I think FiiO or Lotoo PAW S1 would be top choices, given the requested Apple platform.

Nov 21, 2020 at 1:59 PM Post #748 of 2,767
It isn't really Apple-friendly. Nicely spec'd, though.

I think FiiO or Lotoo PAW S1 would be top choices, given the requested Apple platform.
Thats bad, I dont know whats wrong with companies and Mac support, they should offer the same optimization for Windows and Mac. Never heard of that Lotoo Paw S1 but specs looks really good and its portable so I might be a great option for Mac users.

Nov 21, 2020 at 2:10 PM Post #749 of 2,767
Thats bad, I dont know whats wrong with companies and Mac support, they should offer the same optimization for Windows and Mac. Never heard of that Lotoo Paw S1 but specs looks really good and its portable so I might be a great option for Mac users.

I agree, especially when Mac/iOS are notably the platforms of choice for most music creation. I also understand that the population of music creators is much, much less than music consumers. The Lotoo is highly rated and absolutely worth investigating. I am quite pleased with FiiO products and their interaction with my Apple products. FiiO's supprt is excellent here at Head-fi.

For the cynics: I am not a paid FiiO shill. I just recognize quality for my needs and means.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back