[FiiO FD7/FDX] 12mm dynamic driver with its diaphragm using pure beryllium, with an outer-magnet field, up to 1.5 Tesla magnetic flux.
Sep 16, 2021 at 11:05 PM Post #121 of 1,584
DSC08924.JPG

FD7 in the house. I have been burning these in for 24 hours straight with my best burn in tracks. The sound from last night to today is clearly audible. No way was the stage as good as I am hearing them now last night on open listen.

The FD7 out of the 3 dynamics is clearly playing on a different level. Has the widest stage out of the 3. As wide as the stage was on the FD5. FD7 is wider, partially due to the pure silver cable and partially due to the sheer resolving ability of pure Beryllium.

The FD7 is the best balanced tuning out of the 3. Folks worried about bass bleed and such have nothing to worry about. The bass is boosted but is not overly cooked. In fact it has a very natural rich slightly warm tonality to it that I find fantastic. I can tell the driver being used is superior to anything Fiio has ever used in the past. Combine that with one of their best balancing, default nozzle and you get a very enjoyable sound.

Not only is the width of sound the greatest I have heard to date by a Fiio made earphone but so is the height and depth of sound. It trounces over the FD3 in that regard. FD5 gets closer but really the strength of pure Beryllium is a sense of stage and air that is unmistakable. It does have a slight vocal lift which is a good thing. Treble is well behaved this time yet detailed and it does have some authoritative bass with really good texture as pure Berylliums does bass extremely well.

Imaging is also the best I have heard from a Fiio dynamic, really its strengths are its technical ability with a non fatiguing sound. It has a safe tuning but it can do that and still give you the goods as far as detail goes. Again its imaging is the best I have heard from a Fiio dynamic. Mids timbre is accurate and tonally very pleasing to hear. Bass end has enough emphasis to make bass genres shine. Its balancing is very good to where if you listen to a large variety of music as I do. These are right up your alley.
To me it is simple. If you love your dynamic sound. Your dealing with a true full beryllium dynamic for not even half the cost of some of the big players. It will come down to what type of sound your going for. I will have more to say with more burn in time but so far so good. I haven't gotten around to trying out all the different nozzles. Will do that soon.

So one very positive aspect I can report here is that the FD7 responds extremely well to aftermarket cables. Its included 4 core pure silver cables was a design choice to enhance detail of the FD7. This being said they sound even better with higher end aftermarket cables. Again this shows how resolving these drivers are. I am sure we are just scratching the potential of the FD7 here but. POTENTIAL is the word I will leave with you guys as these will ramp up with better sources and your best cables.
And please for the love of GOD. BURN YOUR DAMN BERYLLIUM DYNAMICS in.
Excellent first impressions! Looking forward to hearing more!

Sep 16, 2021 at 11:27 PM Post #122 of 1,584
I have to be honest they didn't blow me away on open listen. In fact I had a hard time hearing much difference from them to the FD5 on open listen. They did have the better balanced sound on open listen but as you all know I am a huge believer in burn in.. Especially for pure Beryllium stuff. No possible way your gonna hear the FD7 at their full sound on open listen. 1 full day of burn in and I can already tell they are clearly superior in just about every aspect to Fiios previous earphones. There is a reason why these cost the way they do and why Fiio is charging this price to play.

Sound separation is superb on these. I am listening to this exact track as I am typing. Oh wow the combination of stage and sound separation makes this track just sizzle and shimmer in the treble. High hat notes clearly in the far right corner of the room. Miles Davis trumpet rangy and textured. Pure power of Beryllium folks.

These are the real deal.

Sep 17, 2021 at 12:10 AM Post #123 of 1,584
DSC08924.JPG

FD7 in the house. I have been burning these in for 24 hours straight with my best burn in tracks. The sound from last night to today is clearly audible. No way was the stage as good as I am hearing them now last night on open listen.

The FD7 out of the 3 dynamics is clearly playing on a different level. Has the widest stage out of the 3. As wide as the stage was on the FD5. FD7 is wider, partially due to the pure silver cable and partially due to the sheer resolving ability of pure Beryllium.

The FD7 is the best balanced tuning out of the 3. Folks worried about bass bleed and such have nothing to worry about. The bass is boosted but is not overly cooked. In fact it has a very natural rich slightly warm tonality to it that I find fantastic. I can tell the driver being used is superior to anything Fiio has ever used in the past. Combine that with one of their best balancing, default nozzle and you get a very enjoyable sound.

Not only is the width of sound the greatest I have heard to date by a Fiio made earphone but so is the height and depth of sound. It trounces over the FD3 in that regard. FD5 gets closer but really the strength of pure Beryllium is a sense of stage and air that is unmistakable. It does have a slight vocal lift which is a good thing. Treble is well behaved this time yet detailed and it does have some authoritative bass with really good texture as pure Berylliums does bass extremely well.

Imaging is also the best I have heard from a Fiio dynamic, really its strengths are its technical ability with a non fatiguing sound. It has a safe tuning but it can do that and still give you the goods as far as detail goes. Again its imaging is the best I have heard from a Fiio dynamic. Mids timbre is accurate and tonally very pleasing to hear. Bass end has enough emphasis to make bass genres shine. Its balancing is very good to where if you listen to a large variety of music as I do. These are right up your alley.
To me it is simple. If you love your dynamic sound. Your dealing with a true full beryllium dynamic for not even half the cost of some of the big players. It will come down to what type of sound your going for. I will have more to say with more burn in time but so far so good. I haven't gotten around to trying out all the different nozzles. Will do that soon.

So one very positive aspect I can report here is that the FD7 responds extremely well to aftermarket cables. Its included 4 core pure silver cables was a design choice to enhance detail of the FD7. This being said they sound even better with higher end aftermarket cables. Again this shows how resolving these drivers are. I am sure we are just scratching the potential of the FD7 here but. POTENTIAL is the word I will leave with you guys as these will ramp up with better sources and your best cables.
And please for the love of GOD. BURN YOUR DAMN BERYLLIUM DYNAMICS in.
What do you recommend for aftermarket cable? I imagine the large nozzle having an even bigger and grander stage and perhaps better treble extension I reckon. 😁

Sep 17, 2021 at 12:12 AM Post #124 of 1,584
I'll be getting a pair as soon as they show up on Amazon. :ksc75smile:

I recently visited The Source AV and did a brief comparison of my FD5 against the Sennheiser IE 900 and the Sony IER-Z1R.

The IE 900's sounded really good but I thought they were only slightly better than the FD5 in just a few categories. But the IE 900's shells are so small that I struggled to get a proper fit with them, and their cable's memory wire ear-hook design is pretty much garbage, and since they use a semi-proprietary MMCX connector, it will probably be a PITA to find a good replacement cable for them. But I was really amazed at how close the FD5 came to equaling their SQ for a $1000 less!

And the IMHO, the FD5 blew away the Z1R in all categories. It wasn't even close. The Z1R sounded muffled and lacking in dynamics by comparison. So either the pair of Z1R's I heard was defective or they just haven't aged very well. I'm not sure.

Regardless, I really love my FD5's and I cannot wait to get the FD7!

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2021 at 12:19 AM Post #125 of 1,584
What do you recommend for aftermarket cable? I imagine the large nozzle having an even bigger and grander stage and perhaps better treble extension I reckon. 😁
I really like the Penon OSG graphene cables on the FD7. Makes them sound more higher end than what they are already. All in due time I have a bunch of cable match ups I have in mind but I will reevaluate cable match ups once I get them nice n loose.

FD7 sounds great with its included cable so FD7 seems to like pure silver. I have a thick 8 cored ISN AG8 pure silver cable I want to try on it. Should give greater note weight and expand the stage even more so than the stock cable. I have been busy with the review cue but will take some time to cable roll a bit more once I feel the FD7 is proper.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2021 at 6:29 AM Post #127 of 1,584
And the IMHO, the FD5 blew away the Z1R in all categories. It wasn't even close. The Z1R sounded muffled and lacking in dynamics by comparison.
Wow, I have the popcorn ready for when the time comes for the Sony Fanbois knock on the door!

Sep 17, 2021 at 10:35 AM Post #130 of 1,584
Well my Luna has easily over 500 plus hours of listening and burn in so not really fair to compare a fully broken in Luna vs a new FD7. They have different tunings. I can say the FD7 might beat the Luna for stage in fact I am certain of it. Detail wise the FD7 gets pretty close. Like I said we will see how the shape up after a weekend of burn in. I will most certainly leave more impressions as they start to open up.

Another aspect of the FD7 is I prefer its fit over my Luna. Luna has a short nozzle and so I have medium sized ears with a deeper in ear cavity so I had to resort to using longer stemmed tops for the Luna. Not a big issue there but with the FD7 its shape is more ergonomic for me and I can use any type of tip on them.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2021 at 1:24 PM Post #133 of 1,584
But since I can compare few of the acclaimed models this hobby even if the difference are sometimes veeerrryyy small (yes it is!!) I never heard real a TOTL killer at half the price .. but I would embrace it heartfully be sure .. FD7 we will date!

Sep 17, 2021 at 11:47 PM Post #135 of 1,584
Wow, I have the popcorn ready for when the time comes for the Sony Fanbois knock on the door!
fxZd.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back