FiiO&JadeAudio Dynamic Driver IEMs Discussion & Impressions Thread
Jul 30, 2022 at 3:00 PM Post #1,666 of 1,891
Oh, for sure. The treble energy and extension is part of what makes its 3D performance so incredible. Along with the semi-open shell, which is why I doubt closed shells can compete with the air, distancing, and sheer sense of space it provides. I'll try this S12 out and see, though I doubt it will out-do Timeless for sense of space and imaging, but could possibly out-do Hook-X for both.

Admittedly, I don't play FPS games, mainly GTA5, car racing and others. I find in GTA5 the FD5 didn't really give me the sense of direction I thought it would and car engines, gun fire could get fatiguing. The S12 is smoother up top but has the same big sound as the FD5, but with larger scale/body. The FD5 has bit more air and being the thinner sounding has some more detail, but again, S12 (for me) let's me hear exactly where explosions are coming from.

Musically they are both very different. Driven well, I like different things from both signatures best.

Jul 30, 2022 at 5:12 PM Post #1,667 of 1,891
I've been really enjoying the 3D presentation and the bass of FD5 for BF2042 and for the soundtrack of Ghosts of Tsushima and Elden Ring. It gives such a grand scale of things.

Haven't dabbled yet in planars but eager to do so. I wonder if Fiio are cooking one up themselves FP series?

Jul 30, 2022 at 10:37 PM Post #1,668 of 1,891
I've been really enjoying the 3D presentation and the bass of FD5 for BF2042 and for the soundtrack of Ghosts of Tsushima and Elden Ring. It gives such a grand scale of things.

Haven't dabbled yet in planars but eager to do so. I wonder if Fiio are cooking one up themselves FP series?
Great question! I'm waiting on FD9, myself. :)

Jul 31, 2022 at 2:39 AM Post #1,669 of 1,891
It's been a year and half rocking with the FD5 + E1DA 9038SG3 and I'm still a happy camper.

Coming from the Fearless S8pro and then purchasing the hyped Shuoer S12 the FD5 still my favorite IEMs. It got that timbre and scale of full sized headphones with extreme smoothness and ease that the S12 and S8 can't compete with.

Yes they better the FD5 in clarity and separation but the actual texture and micro/macrodynamics of the sound itself is still better with the FD5. For me this is music and not the uber clean and sterile presentation of the BAs and planars.

My dream IEMs would be the FD5 sound + better transients and better treble quality overall and more neutral tuning.
I EQ them by -2dB in the bass and mid treble and +2dB above 12khz.

I hope I will find the one and I hope it's this one.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2022 at 10:23 AM Post #1,671 of 1,891
I've brought the FD5 back, as my daily, for outside activities, for the past few weeks. As I find I need a big sound, with a solid floor, to engulf me, when I'm being bombarded with external distractions (e.g. do you work here ? ... people just walking away from their shopping carts, in the middle of a busy corridor, ... waiting for another customer to pass by, so that I can get something from their side of the aisle; only for them to stop adjacent to me, to ponder where their life went wrong, ... pretty much every visit to Costco :ksc75smile: )
FD5 on scooter.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2022 at 3:06 PM Post #1,672 of 1,891
I'm fine with the stock tips(balanced), but the stock cable is quite sensitive/noisy... So I recommend a cable swap with these.

Survey question - What would you change about FD5, that you would want FD9 to have?

I want 2 things: 1) A more ergonomic shell, 2) treble that's smoothed out a bit, with the same big wow factor, and no LESS extension and detail/resolution. FD7 also needs treble smoothing, but I prefer to base FD9 off of FD5, not FD7.

Aug 18, 2022 at 4:16 PM Post #1,673 of 1,891
I've to admit that i listen to my FD5 more often then to my FD7.
They're the better iem for metal, imo.
So I've interchanged their cables, bc the OEM cable of the FD7 (with cut off memo) is much more ergonomic to me.

Well, the color of the mmcx connectors is different but doesn't bother me much. :)

Great fit with the Mojo OG or the Xperia 1 iii. :thumbsup:

Aug 18, 2022 at 4:37 PM Post #1,674 of 1,891
If I had any feedback for an upgrade to the FD5, I'd mostly go for tuning fixes. I still think the FD5's 1DD is one of the best technical drivers in an IEM that I've ever heard for under $300, but it has not enough upper mids (1-2kHz) and too much lower treble (4-8kHz) by an almost equal amount for my taste. Bass tuning is arguably more subjective, however a bit less mid-bass would emphasize the sub-bass better. It's really only like -1dB around 125-250Hz but it makes a big difference to the bass and mids on the FD5.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2022 at 4:41 PM Post #1,675 of 1,891
I'm fine with the stock tips(balanced), but the stock cable is quite sensitive/noisy... So I recommend a cable swap with these.

Survey question - What would you change about FD5, that you would want FD9 to have?

I want 2 things: 1) A more ergonomic shell, 2) treble that's smoothed out a bit, with the same big wow factor, and no LESS extension and detail/resolution. FD7 also needs treble smoothing, but I prefer to base FD9 off of FD5, not FD7.
The tuning of the FD7 was the biggest disappointment for me. I would love to hear a version of the FD7 that had the identical tuning of the FD5. :ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2022 at 4:56 PM Post #1,676 of 1,891
The tuning of the FD7 was it biggest disappointment for me. I would love to hear a version of the FD7 that had the identical tuning of the FD5. :ksc75smile:
It's going to be FD7 combined with Mojo 2 DSP, I guess. :sweat_smile:

Aug 18, 2022 at 4:58 PM Post #1,677 of 1,891
If I had any feedback for an upgrade to the FD5, I'd mostly go for tuning fixes. I still think the FD5 is 1DD is one of the best technical drivers in an IEM that I've ever heard for under $300, but it has not enough upper mids (1-2kHz) and too much lower treble (4-8kHz) by an almost equal amount for my taste. Bass tuning is arguably more subjective, however a bit less mid-bass would emphasize the sub-bass better. It's really only like -1dB around 125-250Hz but it makes a big difference to the bass and mids on the FD5.
The Mojo OG with its mid forward "tuning" fix this issue, almost.
Imo and for my hearing. :)

Aug 18, 2022 at 6:02 PM Post #1,678 of 1,891
I still think the FD5 is 1DD is one of the best technical drivers in an IEM that I've ever heard for under $300,
Yep, I agree. My daily driver IEM rotate between FD5, IE600, and EST 112. Of course the FD7 is more resolving and has better technical performance, but I'm not always in the mood for critical listening.

IE600 I like more for their fit and comfort. But I think the FD5 actually has the better, more capable driver.

EST 112 is the most technical out of the bunch. But it's a bulky IEM and not as comfortable.

Aug 22, 2022 at 2:17 AM Post #1,679 of 1,891
I love my Hook-X for general music, and Timeless does great in-game and with music, but they can't touch what FD5 can do in-game for detail retrieval and spatial performance(distancing+directional accuracy, in a natural stage shape presentation). FD7 is a very different thing compared to FD5, as well. I haven't heard anything that can out-do FD5 yet, for in-game performance.
Could you share a bit more on the Hook-X & FD5 comparision? I currently have the Hook-X and they are good but I find their treble a bit grainy.

Aug 29, 2022 at 7:47 PM Post #1,680 of 1,891
Hello friends, does anyone have problems on the left side of the Fiio FD5?

I have 2 pairs. In both pairs, after unplugging the mmcx cable for the first time, the connection came loose on the left side, no matter what cable. Both right side are ok.

I have no issues related to sound, only the left side is spinning freely.

I've tried to adjust the cable according to the Fiio video, but there's no way, it keeps running loose, both the original cable and the Fiio LC-RC cable.

Sorry for my English, thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back