FiiO&JadeAudio Dynamic Driver IEMs Discussion & Impressions Thread
Apr 25, 2021 at 9:45 AM Post #1,036 of 1,891
Looking for some ear-tip recommendations for FD5 with the narrow nozzle. I do not use foam or triple flange and the other tips dont seem to fit the narrow nozzle very well. Anyone?
Thanks

Apr 25, 2021 at 11:07 AM Post #1,038 of 1,891
Looking for some ear-tip recommendations for FD5 with the narrow nozzle. I do not use foam or triple flange and the other tips dont seem to fit the narrow nozzle very well. Anyone?
Thanks
Don't know about availability in India, and which size will depend on the size of your ear canals, but the red ones work great for me, without the triple-flange ear-rape sensation.
https://westoneaudio.com/product/ergonomic-tips-combo-pack/

Apr 25, 2021 at 11:32 AM Post #1,039 of 1,891
Apr 25, 2021 at 11:34 AM Post #1,040 of 1,891
Apr 25, 2021 at 11:45 AM Post #1,041 of 1,891
Thank you! Westone tips are indeed tough find in India. Will see if I can get a pair. Have ordered Spinfit CP800 meanwhile, based on recommendations here and other sources offline.
I think the nozzles on Shure universals like the 535 are the same size as the Westones, if that makes it any easier. Etymotics too. Good luck.

Apr 27, 2021 at 2:27 AM Post #1,042 of 1,891
This interchangeable connector is stupid. I just can't unscrew it.
It's connector facing me anti-clockwise right?

Attachments

• 20210427_081458.jpg
    20210427_081458.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
Apr 27, 2021 at 2:46 AM Post #1,043 of 1,891
to unscrew it it is better to keep it where there is the word "born for music" :wink:

Apr 27, 2021 at 8:12 PM Post #1,044 of 1,891
Just got a second hand pair, maaaaan, this are something eh! Thought that if I didn’t like em, just sell em again, changed the cable into dunu lyre mmcx, dunu stock tips and maaaan!!! This went to 11
Just for the fun, went and pushed sub bass a tad in the eq, total bass monsters

Apr 28, 2021 at 6:37 AM Post #1,045 of 1,891
Dear friend,

Please check this video to see whether it helps:

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Apr 30, 2021 at 6:18 AM Post #1,046 of 1,891
How to choose suitable earphones among FH5S, FD5, EM5 and FA7?
Recently, we updated the successor of the FH5 in our product line of hybrid earphones. Under the circumstances of great improvement in many aspects, including the design, materials, configuration and accessories, the FH5s was priced at 249.99 USD (US market), which was totally beyond your expectation.

So, at this price range, FiiO has four completely different types of earphones- the fresh 2BAs+2DDs hybrid IEMs FH5s (249.99 USD), the collectible-grade single dynamic IEMs FD5 (299.99 USD), the 3D printing 4 balanced armatures IEMs FA7 (299.99 USD) and the open earbuds EM5 (299.99 USD) with a characteristic styling.

I believe that many users may have some questions. Like how to choose the right one among these products at similar prices? And why is the FD5 with just a dynamic driver more expensive than the FH5s with four drivers hybrid? What does FiiO think?

Therefore, we made a table in the form of both graphics and texts to compare the four earphones. From my personal point of view, it's like sports cars. At the same price range, Porsche provided four types of totally different vehicles, the 911 sports car, Cayenne SUV, Taycan and Palamela. They have different positioning to meet different needs, which can not be simply ranked. So do the FH5s, FD5, EM5 and FA7. We should choose the most appropriate one.

The parts of the listening sense in the table are for reference only. The maximum score is 10, which only represents the characteristics under horizontal comparisons among the four types of FiiO earphones. But for sure, some of them are based on scientific evidence. The following are some general rules.

1. Comparison of soundstage: speaker>over-ear>flat-head>in-ear; Semi-open in-ear>Sealed in-ear.
2. The larger the sound tube, the better the bass. The smaller the sound tube, the better the treble. The bass and mids of the dynamic driver are better than that of the balanced armature. Treble extension and resolution of the balanced armature are better than that of the dynamic driver.
3. The harder the dynamic driver diaphragm, the less the split vibration and the smaller the treble distortion.
4. The sound insulation of the flat-head is worse than that of the in-ear, which will thus affect the resolution and bass extension to a certain extent.
QQ图片20210430181726.jpg

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Apr 30, 2021 at 6:23 AM Post #1,047 of 1,891
Very nice chart and useful!

I would have figured FA7 with its BA to have faster transients though...

I am quite eager to see how FH5s midrange sounds, I love a dedicated dynamic for mids... timbre is generally better

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2021 at 8:08 AM Post #1,048 of 1,891
How to choose suitable earphones among FH5S, FD5, EM5 and FA7?
Recently, we updated the successor of the FH5 in our product line of hybrid earphones. Under the circumstances of great improvement in many aspects, including the design, materials, configuration and accessories, the FH5s was priced at 249.99 USD (US market), which was totally beyond your expectation.

So, at this price range, FiiO has four completely different types of earphones- the fresh 2BAs+2DDs hybrid IEMs FH5s (249.99 USD), the collectible-grade single dynamic IEMs FD5 (299.99 USD), the 3D printing 4 balanced armatures IEMs FA7 (299.99 USD) and the open earbuds EM5 (299.99 USD) with a characteristic styling.

I believe that many users may have some questions. Like how to choose the right one among these products at similar prices? And why is the FD5 with just a dynamic driver more expensive than the FH5s with four drivers hybrid? What does FiiO think?

Therefore, we made a table in the form of both graphics and texts to compare the four earphones. From my personal point of view, it's like sports cars. At the same price range, Porsche provided four types of totally different vehicles, the 911 sports car, Cayenne SUV, Taycan and Palamela. They have different positioning to meet different needs, which can not be simply ranked. So do the FH5s, FD5, EM5 and FA7. We should choose the most appropriate one.

The parts of the listening sense in the table are for reference only. The maximum score is 10, which only represents the characteristics under horizontal comparisons among the four types of FiiO earphones. But for sure, some of them are based on scientific evidence. The following are some general rules.

1. Comparison of soundstage: speaker>over-ear>flat-head>in-ear; Semi-open in-ear>Sealed in-ear.
2. The larger the sound tube, the better the bass. The smaller the sound tube, the better the treble. The bass and mids of the dynamic driver are better than that of the balanced armature. Treble extension and resolution of the balanced armature are better than that of the dynamic driver.
3. The harder the dynamic driver diaphragm, the less the split vibration and the smaller the treble distortion.
4. The sound insulation of the flat-head is worse than that of the in-ear, which will thus affect the resolution and bass extension to a certain extent.
QQ图片20210430181726.jpg
Does Bass Elasticity mean Bass Decay?

Apr 30, 2021 at 6:46 PM Post #1,049 of 1,891
After many hours of use (+100h) the FD5 got a lot smoother to the point where I reversed my treble eq of -2db.

I don't think it's my brain getting used to it because I listen to +4 headphones/speakers at this period.

I also re compared them to the Fearless S8 pro to make sure and here are my notes:

Fiio FD5 vs Fearless S8 pro (both EQed to sound neutral to my ears): FD5 is/has
  • A lot smoother and cleaner (treble especially)
  • More microdynamic
  • Less mids and treble macrodynamics
  • More bass tactility (slam)
  • Wider and deeper stage
  • Less precise imaging
  • More or atleast equal resolving
  • Denser and more organic
  • Duller treble attacks

The FD5 is crazy value when you eq the bass -2dB and the air by +2dB. That's my EQ setting right now and they sound amazing.

May 1, 2021 at 3:42 AM Post #1,050 of 1,891
You guys think pairing FD5 with desktop dac/amps such as EarMen TR-amp as dac (I have it) + Topping A50s amp with 4.4 balanced output (can buy) will bring out the layering and soundstage in the FD5? I am not talking about tonality - it's there in spades with Lotoo PAW S1 & Sparrow (which I use currently with FD5); I feel that more powahh will unleash the true beast in the FD5. Or will these be overkill. Thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back