FiiO&JadeAudio Dynamic Driver IEMs Discussion & Impressions Thread
Feb 15, 2021 at 5:13 PM Post #781 of 1,891
+ Organic, analog tonality

Then, there’s its analog tonality. I’ve really only heard two other IEMs that exhibit a similar tone: the Sony EX1000 and the Periodic Be. Both these IEMs, along with the FD5, evoke an unvarnished—though by no means unrefined—vinyl-esque quality. The BLON BL-03 sort of shares this quality too, but not quite as closely. The AK T8iE MKII, despite being a single DD unit, is farther behind still in this regard.

I can't agree more!.

After I EQ the v shape out of them this was apparent, there is a sense of ease yet inviting sound to them... very charming.

Feb 15, 2021 at 7:47 PM Post #782 of 1,891
In case anyone doesn't know, the filters/ nozzles from the RHA t10s (and presumably the t20s as well) fit just as well as the stock nozzles. Haven't tried them w/r/t sound, as I am still working my way through the stock combinations of tip/nozzle, but if you happen to have some of these laying around, they fit perfectly. They are all the diameter of the stock (larger) nozzles, but have material stuffed into them as filters. As an aside, all of my old Westone tips fit on the smaller nozzles of the fd5s. Obviously I never throw anything away. Enjoy.

Feb 16, 2021 at 5:47 AM Post #783 of 1,891
I’ll state upfront that I was frankly disappointed when I heard the FD5 out of the box. I really liked the bass (meaty, plenty of slam) and the mids (full, euphonic), but I found its technicalities fairly lacking.

I ran through a bunch of tips—stock Balanced, stock Vocal, Symbio W, Symbio Peel, Acoustune AET07, Azla Sedna—but simply wasn’t hearing the staging, holographic imaging, or resolving capabilities that they had been praised for in reviews.

More specifically, I thought the separation, imaging, and detail were below average for its price point. Upper-mids/lower treble also tended to display a certain harshness, upper-treble was poorly articulated, diffuse, and splashy, and there was a distinct lack of refinement to the sound as a whole.

On a whim, I tried the SpinFit CP145 tips, and that made a world of a difference. There was the staging and technical capability that I’d read about. Gone was the upper-mid harshness and dissonance between the lower and upper mids. Upper-treble became well-extended, well-articulated, and refined.
I do also find the stock tips lacking. Took me a size down (not available on FiiO tip sizes) on the smallest Final E tip to bring out the best of the FD5.

For me, I still find the technicalities a bit lacking but now perfectly acceptable at the price point. Comparably better than the Periodic Be and EX800ST but still behind my UERR, especially when playing music with a lot going on at the same time.

Maybe I have to go try more tips. Looking for other narrow bore I guess, to bring the treble down a touch and hope to boost the mids back up with less V overall.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2021 at 8:25 AM Post #784 of 1,891
Ear anatomy is such a funny thing, I swear. Some in here are saying they were taken aback by the treble, and then I'm over here thinking it was a little lacking at first.

I will say that I'm much more a fan of the wide bore than narrow, and the KBEar shallow greys are really nice. Four bucks for a set of three sizes.

Feb 16, 2021 at 9:06 AM Post #785 of 1,891
The thing is which ever tips I try something is missing. Super wide Tennmak Whirlwinds opened up mids and treble. Mids became ok-ish for my liking, treble got boosted with noticeable sibilance and harsh symbals. Actualy I consider FD5 to have not very good treble tuning no matter which tips I use and if I concentrate on treble in certain songs it will become unpleasant of sort. Also bass with Whirlwinds is little bit toned down which I didn't like when going outside.
It seems the best sound our of FD5 I can get only with EQ. I'm still figuring this out but for now this sounds best so far:
Fiio bass tips
BTR5 high gain, 2.5
Neutron player with 10 band EQ setting
4k + 3db
8k - 1db
16k - 1db

Feb 16, 2021 at 11:57 AM Post #787 of 1,891
The thing is which ever tips I try something is missing. Super wide Tennmak Whirlwinds opened up mids and treble. Mids became ok-ish for my liking, treble got boosted with noticeable sibilance and harsh symbals. Actualy I consider FD5 to have not very good treble tuning no matter which tips I use and if I concentrate on treble in certain songs it will become unpleasant of sort. Also bass with Whirlwinds is little bit toned down which I didn't like when going outside.
It seems the best sound our of FD5 I can get only with EQ. I'm still figuring this out but for now this sounds best so far:
Fiio bass tips
BTR5 high gain, 2.5
Neutron player with 10 band EQ setting
4k + 3db
8k - 1db
16k - 1db

Why boost 4khz?. The FD5 have a wide boost around 6khz which you're more likely accentuating with that 4khz boost.

If you want the vocals back just boost the 500-1000hz area or reduce the bass shelf and treble peaks.
The treble peaks to my ear with a wide bore tips are 3dB of 6khz and 2dB around 12khz. The former is wider, more like a hump.

Feb 16, 2021 at 12:58 PM Post #788 of 1,891
Why boost 4khz?. The FD5 have a wide boost around 6khz which you're more likely accentuating with that 4khz boost.

If you want the vocals back just boost the 500-1000hz area or reduce the bass shelf and treble peaks.
The treble peaks to my ear with a wide bore tips are 3dB of 6khz and 2dB around 12khz. The former is wider, more like a hump.

I'm just going by what I hear. I've played a bit with EQ and when I touch other frequencies sound becomes weird. This way 4k bump gives me clarity without compromising stock sound too much. It's not night and day difference but it just enough to lift the veil sort of speak in that area.
Maybe I'm to used to the sound of my other iems, like I said earlier in this thread S8F sounds way better to me in in 500hz and above. Hell even cheap T2+ has decently tuned mids and highs.
FD5 is worth getting i like it a lot, it's good iem for the money, but in the end there is no perfect iem and especially not around the 300 mark.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2021 at 2:03 PM Post #789 of 1,891
I'm just going by what I hear. I've played a bit with EQ and when I touch other frequencies sound becomes weird. This way 4k bump gives me clarity without compromising stock sound too much. It's not night and day difference but it just enough to lift the veil sort of speak in that area.
Maybe I'm to used to the sound of my other iems, like I said earlier in this thread S8F sounds way better to me in in 500hz and above. Hell even cheap T2+ has decently tuned mids and highs.
FD5 is worth getting i like it a lot, it's good iem for the money, but in the end there is no perfect iem and especially not around the 300 mark.
For me, searching for perfection in music reproduction is a fool's errand, in iems or otherwise. I don't think there is such a thing, first off, and even if there were, I certainly couldn't afford it. If I find good and good value, I am happy. I think the fd5 qualifies as both for my tastes. Consequently, I am happy with them.

Feb 17, 2021 at 5:11 PM Post #791 of 1,891
The M size Xelastec are my winners by far, personally. I just gotta keep them (and my ears) clean to avoid warping. However I 100% agree on wide bore. That seems to just work perfectly.

Feb 17, 2021 at 5:48 PM Post #792 of 1,891
The M size Xelastec are my winners by far, personally. I just gotta keep them (and my ears) clean to avoid warping. However I 100% agree on wide bore. That seems to just work perfectly.

Do the Xelastec pick up fibres from the Fiio case?

Feb 18, 2021 at 1:24 AM Post #793 of 1,891
Got mine this morning and been listening all day. I started out with the 4.4 plug on my ZX300s and was impressed with the detail and soundstage but I did think I could detect a kind of scratchiness or brightness in the treble which could become fatiguing. Switched to SE and that went away which surprised me a bit as I never really believed in the difference between balanced and single ended, just thought balanced was louder really.

These were a replacement for my destroyed Xelentos, which were the perfect IEM for me but I couldn’t afford a new pair. Apart from the tuning, the thing I loved about the Xelentos was the lightness of them and the way they just disappeared in the ear. These are a fair bit bulkier and heavier but I’ve had ‘em in for several hours now with no discomfort. Overall, I’m very pleased and not anticipating any buyer’s remorse :)

Feb 18, 2021 at 1:34 AM Post #794 of 1,891
Got mine this morning and been listening all day. I started out with the 4.4 plug on my ZX300s and was impressed with the detail and soundstage but I did think I could detect a kind of scratchiness or brightness in the treble which could become fatiguing. Switched to SE and that went away which surprised me a bit as I never really believed in the difference between balanced and single ended, just thought balanced was louder really.

These were a replacement for my destroyed Xelentos, which were the perfect IEM for me but I couldn’t afford a new pair. Apart from the tuning, the thing I loved about the Xelentos was the lightness of them and the way they just disappeared in the ear. These are a fair bit bulkier and heavier but I’ve had ‘em in for several hours now with no discomfort. Overall, I’m very pleased and not anticipating any buyer’s remorse :)
What About the sound quality? Comparable to xelento?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back