FiiO&JadeAudio Dynamic Driver IEMs Discussion & Impressions Thread
Feb 11, 2021 at 2:08 PM Post #751 of 1,891
Thanks. Looks like the peak at 8 kHz

Thanks. Taming the EQ at 8kHz wasn't that effective.

Looking at the graph of crinacle, what kHz would you say is the peak after the 8kHz dip?

Fiio_FD5.jpg

To my ears the Bad Guy graph is the accurate one, very accurate actually!.

If you find them a bit hot for you then just EQ the 5-7khz area, wide PF around 6khz.

Feb 11, 2021 at 3:55 PM Post #753 of 1,891
I know, I know. Just checking on every kind of source like Youtube Videos, Podcasts, Audio Books in great quality.

I'd definitely say it's a case of the FD5 revealing bad sibilance in the recordings. I know there are a few channels I watch where it's BAD now and again. A lot of YouTubers use pretty rough mics and have no idea how to treat it. They just use a Yeti or whatever, throw it in Hitfilm, call it a day.

Feb 11, 2021 at 6:11 PM Post #756 of 1,891
Nighthawk you say 😯

Discontinued full-size headphone that were accused by many of being too "muddy" and bassy, but once you took some time to adjust to their presentation it was startlingly natural and smooth, much like the FD5. If you can find a used pair (especially the Carbon) I recommend picking them up. I've also heard their closed-back sister the Nightowl is excellent, but I haven't heard them.

Feb 11, 2021 at 6:33 PM Post #757 of 1,891
Discontinued full-size headphone that were accused by many of being too "muddy" and bassy, but once you took some time to adjust to their presentation it was startlingly natural and smooth, much like the FD5. If you can find a used pair (especially the Carbon) I recommend picking them up. I've also heard their closed-back sister the Nightowl is excellent, but I haven't heard them.
I highly disagree with the FD5 being similar to the nighthawk (carbon at least). Not a single aspect of them are similar. Not in sound profile, not in timbre and certainly not in technicalities.

(FD5 >>>> NHC)

Feb 11, 2021 at 7:40 PM Post #758 of 1,891
I know what they are , I demi them and loved them . Always wanted to buy one and if some selling for cheap then I would get it . I'd get fd5 is similar for sure.

Feb 11, 2021 at 10:10 PM Post #759 of 1,891
I know what they are , I demi them and loved them . Always wanted to buy one and if some selling for cheap then I would get it . I'd get fd5 is similar for sure.
I strongly agree with RikudouGoku on this one. The FD5 is the polar opposite in SQ when compared to any of the NightHawk or NightOwl headphones.

I honestly have no idea how SomeGuyDude could think that they are in any way similar in SQ.

IMO, the NightHawk's sound like muddy garbage, while the FD5's sound fantastic.

But the reverse is also true, so if you really love the way the NightHawk's sound, you'll probably hate the SQ of the FD5 (and pretty much every other properly tuned headphone).

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2021 at 5:20 AM Post #760 of 1,891
After trying all the tips and the ones I have spare (Spiral Dot ++, Final E, Some unknown wide bore)
The stock FiiO tips don't go small enough, the Sprial Dot++ is too soft to keep a very good seal, the random wide bore just doesn't work with it.

The smallest Final E really helps with the comfort and sound. The same "fit issue" with the IER-Z1R, with it sounding better with a deep fit and good seal. Bass tighten up, treble get back to the right place and maybe even a bit of the missing mids are back.

Was about to give up on the FD5 until getting the Final E on it due to fit. Having one size smaller tips than usual worked on the FD5 for me.

Feb 12, 2021 at 9:13 AM Post #761 of 1,891
I strongly agree with RikudouGoku on this one. The FD5 is the polar opposite in SQ when compared to any of the NightHawk or NightOwl headphones.

I honestly have no idea how SomeGuyDude could think that they are in any way similar in SQ.

IMO, the NightHawk's sound like muddy garbage, while the FD5's sound fantastic.

But the reverse is also true, so if you really love the way the NightHawk's sound, you'll probably hate the SQ of the FD5 (and pretty much every other properly tuned headphone).

And here we see proving my point. That ignorance of "the Nighthawk is muddy garbage" that I addressed in the very post. I can always tell who's never actually spent any significant amount of time with a set, because they just vomit up the same talking points.

And yet, magically, I love both. Though I'm incredibly amused by the "every other properly tuned headphone" part because I imagine it being said while swirling a wine glass filled with your own farts in front of your nose. Gotta love snobby-ass audiophiles.

Moving along, I admit I don't drive the FD5 as deep as some. They seem to work best when they're not trying to drive allllll the way in. But man, y'all love those Final E tips, I gotta get me a set.

Feb 13, 2021 at 5:29 PM Post #763 of 1,891
So I just compared my FD5 to my DCA Aeon 2, gotta say they are the best IEMs I heard, but in comparison to the headphone they severely lack detail. Can anyone recommend an IEM similar to the FD5 but with much more detail/resolution?

Feb 13, 2021 at 8:09 PM Post #764 of 1,891
So I just compared my FD5 to my DCA Aeon 2, gotta say they are the best IEMs I heard, but in comparison to the headphone they severely lack detail. Can anyone recommend an IEM similar to the FD5 but with much more detail/resolution?
Which tips are you using ?

A wide bore silicone tip would be your best bet, to squeeze out all of the detail that the FD5 has. I’ll defer to others for said tips, as I’m team foam.

Feb 13, 2021 at 8:30 PM Post #765 of 1,891
Which tips are you using ?

A wide bore silicone tip would be your best bet, to squeeze out all of the detail that the FD5 has. I’ll defer to others for said tips, as I’m team foam.

Weirdly, to my ear canals, the foams in the box are more detailed than the silicones. I cannot defend this, and if someone wants to rip out some science for why that makes no sense, I will defer to their expertise, but it seems that way to me.

And now these are turning into my primary listening, over my Philips X3 (which I still love). But now i wonder, what should I snag as a full-size that gives the same experience? I know I made a rather controversial take with the Nighthawk, but there's gotta be something more current.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back