Soundstage - FD5
Sepetation - S8F
Imaging - about the same
Tonal accuracy & Timbre - I like them both
Bass - FD5
Mids and treble - S8F
Overall tunning and balance - S8F
Isolation - S8F
Fit - S8F (FD5 is great as well for its design)

Technicalities are very strong on FD5, I tested them with most demanding metal tracks and I cannot find anything to complain about.
Does S8F have very attacking, sharp and transparent mids and treble?

Feb 6, 2021 at 1:30 PM Post #677 of 1,891

Depends how sensitive you are to that region. Me not at all, I like bright-ish tuned iems. I wouldn't call them bright, far from that, to me they are slight V to balanced. Some have complained S8F being intense and fatiguing over time, not me. I can wear them literally all day without any sound (or fit) fatigue. I do have a limit for too bright iems but S8F are not nowhere near that region. I found them very fast and sharp in the way they reproduce music, plenty of detail accros the range. They are all BA but the timbre and tonal balance is amazing for my library.

Feb 6, 2021 at 2:07 PM Post #678 of 1,891

I have the Pro version which are more tonally accurate. They're extremely fast and clear sounding.

Feb 6, 2021 at 3:37 PM Post #679 of 1,891
Okay so. First impressions.

Coming off of the KBear Believe, using the balanced output on a BTR5 just with the stock white tips on the wide nozzles, it's not exactly night and day. This isn't a surprise, we're talking single-DD beryllium IEMs. The FD5's bass is definitely potent, but what I was expecting was a "sharper" treble based on what I'd been reading. No, the main word that describes these to me is "liquid." Everything just flows together beautifully. I can see the bass being a turnoff to many because it IS pretty burly, but everything is amazingly clear considering it's just one driver. The soundstage is VERY nice, with far less of an "in the head" sound compared to the Believe.

I tried out the small nozzles and the triple flange tips, and while that sealed like a MF, the bass ended up being to bloomy and the sound congested. For my ears. I suspect some will have a different experience. My normal favorite tipes, the ePro horns, didn't offer any benefits over stock so I went back to 'em. I have yet to try and tweak the sound using the various other tips but I suspect that it'll go well.

All in all, first impressions are what I'd call "damn good, but not mindblowing." I think if I hadn't come from the Believe to these, I'd have been much more wowed. I'm definitely keeping them because oh my good gravy the are good in the music I listen to, but I think I've officially hit the sweet spot on where diminishing returns would kick in.

Feb 7, 2021 at 8:36 AM Post #681 of 1,891
How is the imaging, separation, and soundstage of FD5 compared to S8F?

Fd5 has got little more wider staging than the S8F. Do note S8F has got a wide soundstage. FD5 surprises me with its soundstage. It’s holographic like the Andromeda but with better imaging.

I would rate the s8f as better when it comes to imaging and separation. FD5 isn’t bad though. It excels in both these department especially it being a single DD. S8F does it better probably cos of the Multi drivers set up.

Feb 7, 2021 at 8:46 AM Post #682 of 1,891
Fd5 has got little more wider staging than the S8F. Do note S8F has got a wide soundstage. FD5 surprises me with its soundstage. It’s holographic like the Andromeda but with better imaging.

I would rate the s8f as better when it comes to imaging and separation. FD5 isn’t bad though. It excels in both these department especially it being a single DD. S8F does it better probably cos of the Multi drivers set up.
Andromeda I got to audition recently and I was notably impressed. The separation, soundstage height, width, depth, holographic presentation was unmatchable. Is the FD5 that much wide and tall? Also, is the S8F similar to Andro in terms of soundstage?

Feb 7, 2021 at 4:47 PM Post #683 of 1,891
Random update, I'm rather liking the vocal tips on these. The mediums give a nice fit and I like the added edge. I can't decide which setup I prefer LOL. Seems like it all depends on mood, which is a good thing.

Feb 7, 2021 at 11:20 PM Post #684 of 1,891
Random update, I'm rather liking the vocal tips on these. The mediums give a nice fit and I like the added edge. I can't decide which setup I prefer LOL. Seems like it all depends on mood, which is a good thing.

I too like the vocal tips on the FD5. Had the KBear Believe also and liked them but were hurting my ear after a while. The FD5 soundstage and top frequency win over the Believe for me.
The FD5 pair very well with the Mojo or the SR15 (on balanced port).

note: when changing the tip from 3.5 to 2.5 make sure to line the ridge of the tip in the plug. I was able to insert without force In the wrong way and had a small panic moment until I realized it was not insert properly.

Try this track on the FD5, very nice. https://tidal.com/track/34316496

Attachments

• E3D13605-362C-41EE-BEDB-395A309190BF.jpeg
    E3D13605-362C-41EE-BEDB-395A309190BF.jpeg
    642 KB · Views: 0
Feb 8, 2021 at 10:29 AM Post #685 of 1,891
I too like the vocal tips on the FD5. Had the KBear Believe also and liked them but were hurting my ear after a while. The FD5 soundstage and top frequency win over the Believe for me.
The FD5 pair very well with the Mojo or the SR15 (on balanced port).

note: when changing the tip from 3.5 to 2.5 make sure to line the ridge of the tip in the plug. I was able to insert without force In the wrong way and had a small panic moment until I realized it was not insert properly.

Try this track on the FD5, very nice. https://tidal.com/track/34316496

Ooooh. I like.

I'm tempted to try out the triple flanges again and just see how they treat me.

Feb 8, 2021 at 3:10 PM Post #686 of 1,891
Hi,

How it compares to iBasso IT04?

Thanks.

Feb 8, 2021 at 3:43 PM Post #687 of 1,891
IT04 is more neutral in sound design. Uses some higher end Knowles BAs for mids and treble. Bass dynamic is excellent more sub bass focused vs FD5 having a bit more mid bass focus. Has slightly wider sound vs the FD5. IT04 height and depth is not as great as the FD5 but has the wider stage so sound comes a bit more flatter more reference like. Technicalities wise I think the FD5 while a dynamic earphone competes with the IT04 but IT04 has BA timbre which some may not like as much.FD5 is more V shaped in sound signature vs the more U shaped signature of the IT04. Isolation the IT04 is better there and is the bigger fitting earphone. Some have issues with fitment on the IT04 actually. FD5 I think most will be fine as long as you dont have small folks ears.

Where the similarities are is that both require different cables than what was provided for the best optimized sound from the earphones. Meaning IT04 actually sounds even better with a higher end cables. FD5 stock cable is excellent but will depend on your source if that matches up well for you or not.

Feb 8, 2021 at 4:06 PM Post #688 of 1,891
Thanks a lot.
I only have the IT04 (I had the ier-Z1r and the AG but sold both and kept the IT04).
I am thinking in an upgrade...and the IT07 it is one option. But this new trend of single DD puzzles me and I love to try new stuff 🙂.
Unfortunately here I cannot try before buying because simply there's no shop that sells these.

Feb 8, 2021 at 5:56 PM Post #689 of 1,891
Well FD5 while sounding different and is tuned differently Is not going to be a straight up upgrade against the IT04. It is different enough to purchase and enjoy but if you want a true upgrade to the IT04. I own the IT07 and those are flagship worthy. One of the best IEMs in the market right now at the price.

But pricing will be a factor as those are much more expensive. Your gonna get more refinements all around from the IT07. FD5 will add a more natural full bodied bold take on sonics vs the IT04 and again is different enough to enjoy. No reason to get a phone that sounds exactly like the IT04. This being said if you want something that is a much higher end IT04. The IT07 is just this.

Feb 9, 2021 at 2:39 AM Post #690 of 1,891
Thanks again. So, the IT07 will be, for now 🙂. Because I am really curious about the FD5.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back