FiiO&JadeAudio Dynamic Driver IEMs Discussion & Impressions Thread
Jan 6, 2021 at 11:13 AM Post #376 of 1,891
I added my comparisons to ISN H40 and Meze Rai Solo, Penon Orb is upcoming but I am now distracted by the Shanling M8 I just received :p
Wow, thank you for such a detailed and thorough comparison between H40 and FD5. Much more than I was expecting. Now I am much closer to purchase the FD5.
Awesome work @davidmolliere!!

Jan 6, 2021 at 11:18 AM Post #377 of 1,891
Wow, thank you for such a detailed and thorough comparison between H40 and FD5. Much more than I was expecting. Now I am much closer to purchase the FD5.Awesome work @davidmolliere!!

Thanks I try to be thorough, when I said comparison takes almost as much time as the main review it's not to far off... comparison with Penon Orb coming up later as well.

Jan 6, 2021 at 11:46 AM Post #379 of 1,891
I'll be receiving @iFi audio Zen Can today and I must say I am intrigued at what this will bring to the FD5 :grin:

I'll report and get down to ISN H40, Penon Orb and Meze Rai Solo comparisons

RHA filters have shipped as well so end of the week I'll be able to play with this.
Mine turned up today, let us know what you find different ( if anything ) currently using final E tips with a pure copper braid cable, it's almost there for me. Hopefully these will just give it the fraction I need. 16099514579459101053284495806531.jpg

Jan 6, 2021 at 12:29 PM Post #381 of 1,891
The bass nozzles can be modded easily by adding the stem of tips similar to the triple flange tips onto them and they can then accommodate tips with wider stems and bores. The bass nozzles aren't bad, it's the triple flanges that are mostly responsible for the bad impressions using these nozzles.

20210104_134020_HDR~3.jpg

FiiO FD5 (Default Nozzle + Wide Bore Tip).png

FiiO FD5 (Bass Nozzle Mod + Wide Bore Tip).png

FiiO FD5 (Bass Nozzle + Triple Flange Tip).png

Jan 6, 2021 at 12:35 PM Post #383 of 1,891
Yeah, triple flange tips are notorious (or sometimes desired) for their treble roll off. Only the specially designed IEM/ear tip combinations, like the Etymotics, don’t roll off the treble much, because the nozzle takes up almost the entire ear tip, and there is very little overhang. The extra long core of the multi-flange ear tips, beyond the end of the nozzle, causes the sound deterioration.

Jan 6, 2021 at 5:47 PM Post #385 of 1,891
@davidmolliere
So had a play with the reference nozzles and yes it did bring in the top end a bit but did mildly affect the mids, not a great deal but the super spacious fizz that makes these sound great was slightly reduced, but as you can see on your nozzle it has that sort of spiral part over the mesh and also slightly small opening, so took out the acoustic foam from the reference and put it in the stock FD5's nozzle. It's a really fine piece of tubular foam and fits in perfect, pushed it down so just touching the inner mesh and had a look at it up to the light. You can see through it so it's not blocking much at all but just enough to shave off a bit of the sibilance I'm getting on female vocals and high note stringed instruments and crowed cheer on live music. The bass is still the same as are the mids and it's still got that sparkle. Swapped the final E tips for a pair of Azla buds with a slightly bigger bore and stuck with the pure copper cable. I've now found this for me is spot on ( finally ) so no more messing and time to enjoy ! Didn't try the bass filter foam as I think I've hit the sweet spot now. Let us know how you get on with yours and if you try the foam change.

Jan 6, 2021 at 5:57 PM Post #386 of 1,891
@ledzep Great feedback and... tips (pun intended :p) !

I sure will share when I get them!

Jan 7, 2021 at 6:41 AM Post #389 of 1,891
Does anyone have the FD5 and Acoustune hs1300ss?
Would like to know their comparison.

TIA

Users who are viewing this thread

Back