FiiO&JadeAudio Dynamic Driver IEMs Discussion & Impressions Thread
Jan 2, 2021 at 5:53 AM Post #301 of 1,891
Well it's started with the UK import duty allowence now being wiped, ordered some connectors and jacks to make up some cables, only £4 import duty ( was undervalued) but our lovely Royal Mail stuck an extra £8 on for fun !
Ouch! You spent like £20 and had to pay that much, that's crazy! What if I bought a little accessory for 50p, you telling me royal mail will still charge £8 handling fee? Does this mean royal mail with still charge £8 for my fd5 that I bought before the new year? It's with royal mail now and should be delivered withinin 2 days. I also have filters and adapters arriving so they best not screw me over like that.

Jan 2, 2021 at 5:56 AM Post #302 of 1,891
Well it's started with the UK import duty allowence now being wiped, ordered some connectors and jacks to make up some cables, only £4 import duty ( was undervalued) but our lovely Royal Mail stuck an extra £8 on for fun !
Royal Mail used to do this before Brexit (1st Jan), I ordered some tips in November from the US that cost me around £30 and they stuck that on top.

Jan 2, 2021 at 6:12 AM Post #303 of 1,891
Royal Mail used to do this before Brexit (1st Jan), I ordered some tips in November from the US that cost me around £30 and they stuck that on top.
Yeah it was over the paltry £15 allowence we had thats why you got stung, now there is no allowence at all. All I can say is order a worthwhile amount get it marked low and at least you don't pay the full amount. I'm not looking for forward the the rest of the stuff I ordered from Ali in the 11/11 sale

Jan 2, 2021 at 6:19 AM Post #304 of 1,891
Ouch! You spent like £20 and had to pay that much, that's crazy! What if I bought a little accessory for 50p, you telling me royal mail will still charge £8 handling fee? Does this mean royal mail with still charge £8 for my fd5 that I bought before the new year? It's with royal mail now and should be delivered withinin 2 days. I also have filters and adapters arriving so they best not screw me over like that.
My stuff landed at customs on the 28th and booked in on the 31st and the card was pushed through letterbox today, so who knows.
The dreaded card !
20210102_111834.jpg

Jan 2, 2021 at 6:39 AM Post #305 of 1,891
My stuff landed at customs on the 28th and booked in on the 31st and the card was pushed through letterbox today, so who knows.
The dreaded card !

The new rules apply only to stuff purchased from January 1st, declared value of your package must have been over £15, I received a parcel today from aliexpress via Royal Mail myself and had no fee to pay (went through customs on the 28th too). I expect to pay no fee for a Shozy B2 I purchased late last month and has not reached the country yet.

Back to FD5, I modded the bundled bass nozzles so I can fit the bundled wide bore tips on them and this sounds very good to me too.

Jan 2, 2021 at 9:14 AM Post #306 of 1,891
The new rules apply only to stuff purchased from January 1st, declared value of your package must have been over £15, I received a parcel today from aliexpress via Royal Mail myself and had no fee to pay (went through customs on the 28th too). I expect to pay no fee for a Shozy B2 I purchased late last month and has not reached the country yet.

Back to FD5, I modded the bundled bass nozzles so I can fit the bundled wide bore tips on them and this sounds very good to me too.
Thank god for that! I can breathe now without worrying about those hefty charges.

I bought the reference filter and have some cables ready for this iem. In 2 days time I will share my impressions comparing them to the nm2+, kpe and 10 days after to my repaired oxygens aswell.

Jan 2, 2021 at 3:04 PM Post #307 of 1,891
Is it worth the extra $120 over the Drop x JVC FDX1?

Jan 2, 2021 at 3:48 PM Post #310 of 1,891
I know it has a large soundstage, but I’m really curious how the imaging is, with regards to depth, layering, separation, etc.

Jan 2, 2021 at 5:00 PM Post #312 of 1,891
Jan 2, 2021 at 5:17 PM Post #313 of 1,891
NM2+ is more neutral in presentation vs the FD5 full surround mode I like to call it. I think one of the best aspects of the FD5 is its ability to portray a well rounded stage that is full on dimensional. Very layered in presentation which is greater than the NM2+. Timbre between sets are very similar but the main difference to me is how the stage is projected on the FD5 and that prism baffle in front of the FD5 is supposed to help with imaging. Imaging is also at a higher level on the FD5. It has a grander sound more musical, fuller body of sound yet highly resolving at the same time. Treble is more extended as you would guess. Bass has more presence on the FD5 as well as having more lower mids presence vs the NM2+.

Also the sense of air on the FD5 is excellent. One of the best airy sounds I have heard for a dynamic earphone. This is the main reason why the narrow nozzle is not ideal as it goes from airy to essentially a closed in type of presentation.

Jan 2, 2021 at 5:25 PM Post #315 of 1,891
NM2+ is more neutral in presentation vs the FD5 full surround mode I like to call it. I think one of the best aspects of the FD5 is its ability to portray a well rounded stage that is full on dimensional. Very layered in presentation which is greater than the NM2+. Timbre between sets are very similar but the main difference to me is how the stage is projected on the FD5 and that prism baffle in front of the FD5 is supposed to help with imaging. Imaging is also at a higher level on the FD5. It has a grander sound more musical, fuller body of sound yet highly resolving at the same time. Treble is more extended as you would guess. Bass has more presence on the FD5 as well as having more lower mids presence vs the NM2+.

Also the sense of air on the FD5 is excellent. One of the best airy sounds I have heard for a dynamic earphone. This is the main reason why the narrow nozzle is not ideal as it goes from airy to essentially a closed in type of presentation.
Thanks!!

That’s exactly what I wanted to know. Even though there are IEMs that are clearly better than the NM2+ in certain aspects, the NM2+ has been my favorite single DD IEM by a large margin, but with one main weakness, IMO. That weakness is its inability to handle extremely complex and chaotic passages. It becomes congested, compressed, and 2 dimensional on those few passages. In my limited experience, beryllium-type drivers are very resistant to such compression.

So, basically, the FD5 outclasses the already exceptional NM2+ in every aspect, plus it can handle any and all types of music?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back