FiiO&JadeAudio Dynamic Driver IEMs Discussion & Impressions Thread
Dec 26, 2020 at 11:58 AM Post #196 of 1,891
What turned you off?
Two things:
1. The bass punch quantity is lesser than the A7. I am looking for more quantity than A7.
2. Similar sq profile to A7 gold filter which is my current favorite setting. No reason for me to buy similar sq iem within the same price range.

Dec 26, 2020 at 11:59 AM Post #197 of 1,891
What turned you off?

The treble on your graph seems too hot for me :S

11388741.png

Dec 26, 2020 at 12:01 PM Post #198 of 1,891
Two things:
1. The bass punch quantity is lesser than the A7. I am looking for more quantity than A7.
2. Similar sq profile to A7 gold filter which is my current favorite setting. No reason for me to buy similar sq iem within the same price range.
Wise choice. Better save up for something else, very similar indeed.

The treble on your graph seems too hot for me :S

11388741.png
A valid concern.

Dec 26, 2020 at 12:31 PM Post #200 of 1,891
I've ordered mine... But would you say a clear upgrade over the oxygen aswell?
Yes it is in upgrade over the Oxygen in pretty much everything for my library. Female vocals are the only factor where they are somewhat even.

Dec 26, 2020 at 1:24 PM Post #202 of 1,891
Been testing out the FD5 for my review. I can understand the peak concerns from people. The cable the FD5 comes with is very highly resolving is pretty much the reason why those peaks are enhanced. If you switch out this cable with any other SPC type cable you can clearly hear the treble is not as enhanced as the stock cable.

It is very close to a pure silver cable in sound characteristics. I tested out a pure copper UPOCC cable and the sound tonality clearly changes to something a bit warmer and smoother meaning the stock cable while is one of the best throw in cables I have seen for a pack in cable. I think Fiio was going for maximum transparency and for the most part they have succeeded. But just know the tone can be changed up easily with a cable swap.

Bass nozzle design could have been done a bit better but it does bring down the highs so you get more mids and bass. But that affectively neuters stage and air. So changing up cables helps smooth the upper ranges quite a bit.

Also using moondrop foams the upper treble peaks smooth out while retaining most of the stage and air of the stock sound so for folks that want to retain that airy sound while smoothing out the treble end a touch. Foam tips will do that. I haven't tried the included foams yet but I do believe Fiio provided those for folks that are more sensitive to treble ranges can try those. Will try the Fiio foams soon and report back.

Dec 26, 2020 at 2:30 PM Post #203 of 1,891
Oh man so much cable talk already. RikudouGoku, did you have time to compare them to the FH3 ? The FH3 does have some 5khz peakiness as well. Though It's clearly there it's not bothersome. But can sound a bit rough occasionally.

Dec 26, 2020 at 2:37 PM Post #204 of 1,891
Oh man so much cable talk already. RikudouGoku, did you have time to compare them to the FH3 ? The FH3 does have some 5khz peakiness as well. Though It's clearly there it's not bothersome. But can sound a bit rough occasionally.
It is in my review.

Dec 26, 2020 at 2:57 PM Post #205 of 1,891

Thanks for the wonderful and thorough review. I appreciate the graph also.

I am going to wait a bit on the FD5 or possibly pass on it. For me, anything above $150 must be a "right" purchase. I am being much more selective on my purchases for the next several months. I want to get a variety of reviews to reflect upon. I am a bit concerned about the treble spikes. I am not fond at all of the sudden price increase from FiiO.

In perspective vis a vis the FD5: The FD1 is wonderfully tuned for my tastes. I prioritize tone/tuning over technicalities. What is in it for me to purchase the FD5? I already have the wonderful DUNU DK-2001. The B2 Dusk is available and might be a better choice for me. Seasonally, it is winter and the snow is flying and there is ice everywhere where I live. Metal IEMs are pretty much like listening to a popsicle in my ear while resin IEMs are quite comfortable. (My FD1 and FH1s are seeing much more use than the DK-2001 because metal vs. plastic). That is affecting my feelings and thoughts.

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2020 at 5:02 PM Post #207 of 1,891
Price seems to be 320 now everywhere. What's up with that?
Thanks for the wonderful and thorough review. I appreciate the graph also.

I am going to wait a bit on the FD5 or possibly pass on it. For me, anything above $150 must be a "right" purchase. I am being much more selective on my purchases for the next several months. I want to get a variety of reviews to reflect upon. I am a bit concerned about the treble spikes. I am not fond at all of the sudden price increase from FiiO.
Let's squash this before it becomes another Mandela Effect. The AE FiiO store has not changed their price; it's been $319.99 USD from day one, which includes DHL/Express shipping. HiFiGoNo on the other hand, did bump their pricing up to $319 USD (from $300) , plus shipping.

Dec 26, 2020 at 6:07 PM Post #208 of 1,891
Yeah @FiiO what's going on with the pricing?

Did you secretly rise the msrp or are you allowing your authorized dealers to sell above msrp!?.

Dec 26, 2020 at 6:17 PM Post #209 of 1,891
Price seems to be 320 now everywhere. What's up with that?
What's up with it?, IDK for sure but it looks like sellers - or @FiiO deciding that they needed to get that "extra" $20 over the bad look it gives the IEM industry by bumping up the price another $20 after the release price was published.

Perhaps it is their not too subtle way of telling us these are great IEM's :)

It's $20, given all the problems of 2020 I don't mind putting another $20 in my favorite seller's pocket.

$319.99 is ok by me, and thanks to @RikudouGoku for the great review - I really appreciated the comparisons and attention to detail.

I'm also considering the FiiO FH3, which is about 1/2 the price of the FD5, I'm reading reviews...maybe both?

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2020 at 8:12 PM Post #210 of 1,891

The FD5 is FiiO's new single-DD IEM flagship and they look amazing! :ksc75smile:

https://fiio.com/newsinfo/454678.html?templateId=1133604

https://hifigo.com/blogs/news/fiio-fd5-to-be-launched-today

MSRP - $299.99

- - Update - -
The price now seems to have been increased to $319.99
Let's squash this before it becomes another Mandela Effect. The AE FiiO store has not changed their price; it's been $319.99 USD from day one, which includes DHL/Express shipping. HiFiGoNo on the other hand, did bump their pricing up to $319 USD (from $300) , plus shipping.

WHAT DOES MANDELA EFFECT MEAN?
The Mandela Effect refers to when a large number of people share a false memory, originally attributed to the existence of multiple universes.

I need to light-heartedly pick a bone here. See Xelento's OP. See HifFiGo's orignal price. There was a posted price of $299. This confirms that this forum is the point of singularity of our multiple universes, an intercept of our otherwise disconnected parallel existences. :) No false memory in the community. No Mandela effect from what I can see. Do you still see a Mandela effect given the posted facts of the FD5's pricing?

That said, if FiiO can sell them at the new price, then good for them. Ali Express will likely have a sale on the FD5 in the near future anyways. $299 or lower FTW!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back