FiiO&JadeAudio Dynamic Driver IEMs Discussion & Impressions Thread
Sep 25, 2021 at 4:14 AM Post #1,471 of 1,891
Yes but the FD5 technicalities and qualities are in another league.
So if someone likes the FD3 sound signature the FD5 is a logical upgrade.
I have a comparison here

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/fi...s-with-a-detachable-cable.25316/review/26857/
Thanks for sharing your review, i have not seen it and usually there is not so much comparison info about fd5 vs fd3 that i can trust so any info from headfi users and reviewers is really good source. I really think that even if tuning is not far apart or even similar, higher technical capabilities you can't see in freq graphs and specifications alone. You need to compare with the same source, music and then you can tell if there is sound differences that comes from different level of iem driver technical capabilities. So yeah i believe fd5 is worth their price anyway as fd 3 their price and both are amazing iems at their price brackets. If you like such tuning of course. Still FD5 i believe will scale better with higher end sources. i hear this all the time when i go from some dongles to separate desktop dac /amp. Now logical question how fd7 as third brother feels in this holy trinity. But as always higher with price in this hobby you get less and less in return so it shouldn't be big upgrade. But this i couldn't prove with my ears because it is really big step in price.

Sep 25, 2021 at 4:21 AM Post #1,472 of 1,891
In my opinion, FiiO made the FD3 Pro a little too close to the sound signature of the FD5. To the point that if you had the FD3 I wouldn't recommend the FD5 as an upgrade, unless you live and breath FiiO.

Between the two I would actually choose the FD3, as the sound tubes share all of the included tips. Whereas the FD5 bass tubes have a smaller outer diameter, that require you to use the included (dreaded) triple flange tips
yeah with fd3 fiio really improved this tube aspect that makes fd3 better choice from this point of view. What they thought when made such a small diameter tube with only triple flange that is completely unusual and is real torture machine for most ears, i dont know. It wasnt good choice for sure.

Sep 25, 2021 at 11:11 AM Post #1,473 of 1,891
Thanks for sharing your review, i have not seen it and usually there is not so much comparison info about fd5 vs fd3 that i can trust so any info from headfi users and reviewers is really good source. I really think that even if tuning is not far apart or even similar, higher technical capabilities you can't see in freq graphs and specifications alone. You need to compare with the same source, music and then you can tell if there is sound differences that comes from different level of iem driver technical capabilities. So yeah i believe fd5 is worth their price anyway as fd 3 their price and both are amazing iems at their price brackets. If you like such tuning of course. Still FD5 i believe will scale better with higher end sources. i hear this all the time when i go from some dongles to separate desktop dac /amp. Now logical question how fd7 as third brother feels in this holy trinity. But as always higher with price in this hobby you get less and less in return so it shouldn't be big upgrade. But this i couldn't prove with my ears because it is really big step in price.
You are welcome.
The FD3 is a killer for the price and slightly more neutral than the FD5 but there is no way that it can touch it in technicalities and scaling.
I have also the FD7 but haven't heard it yet.

Sep 26, 2021 at 10:22 AM Post #1,474 of 1,891
Today my Audiosence S400 eartips arrived. They're pretty interesting in sound. They have their pros and cons, but overall they're very good for that price. First I think this eartips are for those who wants more bass and weight in sound, but prefer wide nozzles. S400 have more bass than OEM bass eartips. It also tones down the treble a little bit, I think that it's pretty similar to Spinfit CP145 in treble response. But CP145 have toned down bass as well, and S400 are better in that range. Vocals sound more massive and natural, and the only bad thing I noticed (at least for myself it's a bad thing), that higher mids are recessed a bit, and when it comes to heavy music with extreme vocals, they sound a bit quiet sometimes. Despite that fact, I can still recommend this eartips to everyone who needs heavier sound with wide nozzles. They're definitely worth trying.

Sep 29, 2021 at 5:21 AM Post #1,476 of 1,891
Does the vented nature of the fd5 or fd3 make it a good choice to use while snacking? Eg, you can bite into an apple and it isn't unusually loud due to occlusion of the ears?
Hahaha.
Funny question. :beyersmile:

Guess the loudest part will be the bone conducted "noise", not the soundwaves. :)

So my recommendation is to snack rather quickly and enjoy your music right after. ^^

Oct 1, 2021 at 4:57 AM Post #1,477 of 1,891
I received my Xelastec eartips and compared them to Audiosense S400. In my opinion S400 is superior for FD5, because they add that tiny touch of warmth and weight to bass, vocals and guitars, and they do that without losing any details and soundstage, compared to narrow nozzles. I also dislike that Xelastec have a sticky texture, which adds a lot of comfort in ear canal, but also adds a lot of problems: they collect dust so well that I had to clean them at the end of the first day of usage. In terms of sound Xelastec have more treble, less bass, and slightly bigger soundstage than S400. Thats a minus for me too, because I want more bass and a bit toned down treble. So... My top eartips for now are Audiosense S400. I'd like to try Final Audio E tips too, but I'm not sure about that, because of delivery price.

Oct 1, 2021 at 7:30 AM Post #1,478 of 1,891
I received my Xelastec eartips and compared them to Audiosense S400. In my opinion S400 is superior for FD5, because they add that tiny touch of warmth and weight to bass, vocals and guitars, and they do that without losing any details and soundstage, compared to narrow nozzles. I also dislike that Xelastec have a sticky texture, which adds a lot of comfort in ear canal, but also adds a lot of problems: they collect dust so well that I had to clean them at the end of the first day of usage. In terms of sound Xelastec have more treble, less bass, and slightly bigger soundstage than S400. Thats a minus for me too, because I want more bass and a bit toned down treble. So... My top eartips for now are Audiosense S400. I'd like to try Final Audio E tips too, but I'm not sure about that, because of delivery price.
For me it sounds like a plus because fd5 has big bass quantity and tips that lowers it a bit and makes iem less v shaped for me is a bonus not minus. Also if tips lowers treble its also minus for me as airy extended treble is what i like in fd5. Ofcourse if someone likes smoother sound and think that fd has too much treble energy then perhaps it could be a bonus. So there is only preferences and s400 tips from your description not for all :wink:. This is always subjective but thanks for sharing your experiences this way we know what not to try and what will fit better individualy according what we each like in sound.

Oct 1, 2021 at 7:47 AM Post #1,479 of 1,891
For me it sounds like a plus because fd5 has big bass quantity and tips that lowers it a bit and makes iem less v shaped for me is a bonus not minus. Also if tips lowers treble its also minus for me as airy extended treble is what i like in fd5. Ofcourse if someone likes smoother sound and think that fd has too much treble energy then perhaps it could be a bonus. So there is only preferences and s400 tips from your description not for all :wink:. This is always subjective but thanks for sharing your experiences this way we know what not to try and what will fit better individualy according what we each like in sound.
Xelastec don't lower bass quantity compared to oem eartips, it's S400 boosting it a bit more than oem tips.

Oct 1, 2021 at 9:37 AM Post #1,480 of 1,891
Xelastec don't lower bass quantity compared to oem eartips, it's S400 boosting it a bit more than oem tips.
Ok thanks for explaining, either way what boosting bass in fd5 not for me, i don't think fd5 nees any boosting on this area. But this is my understanding and preferences. When you put fd5 after sundara you undestand that bass already boosted a little. Or close to neutral if thinking sundara has rolled off bass.

Oct 1, 2021 at 11:16 AM Post #1,481 of 1,891
Try the Sedna Crystal tips. Not as sticky as the Xelastec and almost as comfortable.

Oct 6, 2021 at 2:18 PM Post #1,484 of 1,891
Sounds like we definitely had the same experience with them. I think ultimately the results that people have with the FD3 are heavily genre-dependent. Light acoustic, piano, etc. might seem like a good fit. Otherwise, meh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back