FiiO&JadeAudio Dynamic Driver IEMs Discussion & Impressions Thread
May 4, 2021 at 6:45 AM Post #1,066 of 1,891
No, the engineer told me that the Bass elasticity is more likely to be an adjective describes the sense of hearing.

Best regards
That...does not make any sense to me, sadly.

May 4, 2021 at 11:24 PM Post #1,067 of 1,891
That...does not make any sense to me, sadly.
I agree. How can Fiio make claims to the user's hearing, and how they might perceive sound?

copper.jpg

A new copper cable for my beloved Fd5 the Linsoul LSC08 much better than the original one to tame the treble peaks, and it is also very nice in my opinion.
I do like the look of it as well. Then again, I'm a sucker for how nice a cloth covered cable looks. I've read bad things about cables like this, though. Do you find your new cable microphonic? In other words, do you hear any noise when it rubs against your clothes?

May 5, 2021 at 12:26 AM Post #1,068 of 1,891
I agree. How can Fiio make claims to the user's hearing, and how they might perceive sound?

I do like the look of it as well. Then again, I'm a sucker for how nice a cloth covered cable looks. I've read bad things about cables like this, though. Do you find your new cable microphonic? In other words, do you hear any noise when it rubs against your clothes?
Truly, this seems to be a goof up...and BGGAR's review was not exactly favourable also, if you have seen it.

May 5, 2021 at 2:25 AM Post #1,069 of 1,891

No more than the original one, but I must admit that I don't use these iems in motion also due to the fact that they are half-open, I prefer to listen to them at home and not when I go around, but this regardless of cable. However, it is not very microphone also due to the fact that it is quite thick but I must say not heavy. I prefer it especially for how it changes the sound compared to the original.

May 8, 2021 at 11:43 AM Post #1,070 of 1,891
I've been a bit away from IEMs lately, focusing more on full size headphones.

Now I would like to buy a good all rounder around € 300 to be paired perhaps with Lotoo S1.

I am mainly interested in FiiO FD5 and LZ A7, which one do you prefer?

FiiO FD5 is a single DD right? I was left with Tanchjim Oxygen who was considered overall the single DD with the best timbre, does FD5 surpass it?

And in terms of technicalities? I want a clean sound, without swollen bass and with good clarity and separation, even for faster and more chaotic music like extreme metal.

May 8, 2021 at 11:48 AM Post #1,071 of 1,891
I've been a bit away from IEMs lately, focusing more on full size headphones.

Now I would like to buy a good all rounder around € 300 to be paired perhaps with Lotoo S1.

I am mainly interested in FiiO FD5 and LZ A7, which one do you prefer?

FiiO FD5 is a single DD right? I was left with Tanchjim Oxygen who was considered overall the single DD with the best timbre, does FD5 surpass it?

And in terms of technicalities? I want a clean sound, without swollen bass and with good clarity and separation, even for faster and more chaotic music like extreme metal.
Fossi in te... darei uno sguardo anche alle Blessing 2... :wink:

May 8, 2021 at 12:02 PM Post #1,073 of 1,891
If you have small ears they seal them completely ... but if it's the speed and transparency you are looking for they are worth much more than the 260 euros they cost.
After all, the FD5 are absolutely not to be despised ... Full-bodied and controlled bass fast enough and with the right cable and tips not too exuberant with the highs, but let's say that they are worth more than what cost, instead the Blessing 2 are a different thing and from what you said to try the maximum for that amount.
My two cents.

May 8, 2021 at 4:29 PM Post #1,074 of 1,891
I have both, oxygen and fd5

oxygens have one of the best imaging and mids I’ve heard in a dd, coherence it’s almost in pair with the ex1k, bass is truly good, but it doesn’t have that much depth

Fd5 has waaaaaaaaay better lower mids, treble extension is way better and soundstage and separation it’s amazing, in the bass department it’s totally a different monster, with more detail and air, decay in it is way faster as and feels way more airy.

fit wise, fd5 is way more friendly.

going back into topic, If I had to choose in between lza7 and fd5 I would go with fiio fd5, lz a6 and a7 are amazing though they have Qc issues and ime treble can get out of hand with em (I own lz a6, 2 pairs to be exact, both of em have the humidity problem) the department where lz a6 (and I imagine a7 is way better) can have an overthrow with the fd5 is separation and imaging, lza6 has hands down one of the best separations in the business, it’s the only headphone they once you wear it, it feels like a room with everything positioned in order. It’s an amazing iem, sadly... it still has the famous “humidity”
Problem

Last edited:
May 9, 2021 at 10:48 AM Post #1,075 of 1,891
Here's my weekly check-in with the FD5. As of this post, the burn-in period should be about 80+ hours so far ever since I got it last week Friday. I have also listened to most of my music library compared to the previous week.

What's changed since the previous week? Vocals feels much more better and detailed now. Treble peaks feels more tamed and now most of my music library with easy peaks are mostly comfortable to listen to except for a few which I'll go into detail in a bit. I thought the soundstage and instrument separations are great on the FH3 but the FD5 really takes it to another level for me. The only thing that changed the least is the vocal sibilance in some songs. I felt that the vocal sibilance reduced a tad but not by much and it's still present in some songs. Funnily enough, most songs in music library doesn't seem to have vocal sibilance aside for a few ones.

I'll start with the vocal sibilance. In LOONA's "Hi High", vocal sibilance (ssss...) is still very much present almost throughout the entire song. It was pretty hard to listen through it a week ago and as of right now, the sibilance seems to reduce a bit but not by much. Wendy's "When This Rain Stops" seems to have reduced sibilance now compared to before and I feel that as time go on, it'll improved. IU's "Twenty Three" has some vocal sibilance in them, including treble peaks a few times but has since reduced quite a bit. If I do another check-in next week, I'll be referring to these same 3 songs since they irk-ed me the most at the moment and they happened to be some of my favourite songs. =/

Most of my vocal focus song library fortunately, are pretty amazing. Whee In "water color" and TAEYEON "Four Seasons" sounds wonderfully natural. No sibilance at all and their entire discography overall are just amazing.

Treble peaks seems to improve a ton. I don't have much to complain about really. It's very detailed without the peaking. One example is Ailee's "Reminiscing". I was really unable to listen to this song the first time due to that drum... snare? It was unbearable. As the days pasts, the peaking reduced quite a bit and I'm able to listen to this particular song at ease. I guess it'll improved as time goes on.

The Soundstage and instrument separation really is something else. Listening to IU's "Friday (Feat. Jang Yi-jeong)" is such a damn joy to listen to. Having listened to this song for a good 7 and a half years, I'm hearing new details that I've never heard before. Dreamcatcher "Fly High" and "Good Night" are great examples for me to learn about soundstage and instrument separation and also imaging. While I was able to experience this the first time the FH3, the FD5 just felt more wide for me in these songs. One more to add, LOONA Odd Eye Circle "ADD" sounds amazing on it.

I can't really comment much on the bass side of things since I'm not much of a basshead, but I can say that the bass is great on the FD5. IZ*ONE "Sequence" and LOONA "Why Not?" are just aces for me. No complains at all.

I think that's about it for now. The FD5 seems to be improving day by day. My only griped so far is the vocal sibilance. Once that's dealt with, I think this will be the iem that will stay with me for years to come. I'll see if I'll do another check-in in the next week or so with other songs. Thanks for reading!

The song that had very terrible lively treble during my first impressions and is now happily playing perfectly in my FD5 after a week!​

May 11, 2021 at 3:59 AM Post #1,076 of 1,891
fratellino.jpg

The brother of the FD5 (M15) has arrived and together they sound wonderful...
The lows are even fuller and more precise, the highs more controlled and it has brought out some sublime mids.
A fairytale pairing seems to be made for each other.

May 11, 2021 at 5:39 AM Post #1,077 of 1,891
fratellino.jpg
The brother of the FD5 (M15) has arrived and together they sound wonderful...
The lows are even fuller and more precise, the highs more controlled and it has brought out some sublime mids.
A fairytale pairing seems to be made for each other.
Glad to hear about that.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
May 14, 2021 at 6:24 AM Post #1,078 of 1,891
The master of coherency is back! A single Dynamic Driver IEM with a really coherent sound, delightful bass, and a sparkly treble, the FiiO FD5 is here to bring you the fun!!

I made a full in-depth written review about it, and as always compared it to other important competitors, including the older FH5, FA7, but also Unique Melody 3DT, and even Jomo P3.

One thing is for sure, FiiO nailed down the bass and the midrange really well with FD5, and they made them comfortable too. The 300 USD price point is rather good too for the performance, but FD5 still has to stand up to the other ~300 USD IEMs out there, so I invite you to read more about how well it stands its ground, and I hope I will be of help to you to decide if this is going to be your next best thing!

https://www.audiophile-heaven.com/2021/05/fiio-fd5-earphones-power-of-dynamic-drivers.html

FiiO-FD-5-FD5-IEMs-Review-Dynamic-Driver-Basshead-Clean-Guilty-Pleasure-Review-Audiophile-Heav...jpg

May 14, 2021 at 6:26 AM Post #1,079 of 1,891
The master of coherency is back! A single Dynamic Driver IEM with a really coherent sound, delightful bass, and a sparkly treble, the FiiO FD5 is here to bring you the fun!!

I made a full in-depth written review about it, and as always compared it to other important competitors, including the older FH5, FA7, but also Unique Melody 3DT, and even Jomo P3.

One thing is for sure, FiiO nailed down the bass and the midrange really well with FD5, and they made them comfortable too. The 300 USD price point is rather good too for the performance, but FD5 still has to stand up to the other ~300 USD IEMs out there, so I invite you to read more about how well it stands its ground, and I hope I will be of help to you to decide if this is going to be your next best thing!

https://www.audiophile-heaven.com/2021/05/fiio-fd5-earphones-power-of-dynamic-drivers.html

FiiO-FD-5-FD5-IEMs-Review-Dynamic-Driver-Basshead-Clean-Guilty-Pleasure-Review-Audiophile-Heav...jpg
Gonna be an interesting read, as I reviewed the 3DT with FD5 also.

May 14, 2021 at 6:37 AM Post #1,080 of 1,891

My impression on 3DT with respect to FD5 was much similar to yours: They are more alike than different. To my ears FD5 had a warmer midrange, and more voluminous bass, and 3DT had a more neutral midrange, and slightly less voluminous. Was not able to detect any more dissimilarities between them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back