FiiO&JadeAudio Dynamic Driver IEMs Discussion & Impressions Thread
Feb 18, 2021 at 4:42 AM Post #797 of 1,891
Regarding tips

With the caveat in mind that our ear anatomies are each quite unique, I wanted to share a few of my own observations tip-rolling with the FD5.

Wide bore tips

As shared in my initial impressions, I found the Symbio W, Symbio Peels, Azla Sedna, and Acoustune AET07 to highlight the upper-midrange/lower-treble emphasis and produce a decidedly splashy and inarticulate upper-treble. With the exception of the Acoustune AET07, the Symbios and Azla Sedna also tended to push back the lower-mids, resulting in a rather lean midrange and a dissonance between the upper and lower mids, exhibiting a kind of 'hollowness'.

SpinFit CP145

These are my favourite tips with the FD5.

They offer the smoothest and most refined sound by far, taming the upper-mid and treble emphasis, and producing a wonderfully articulate and refined upper-treble. Technicalities are also the best of the tips by a fair margin, to my ears.

The graph below was taken from the Dunu Zen thread, and created by @tgx78. Keeping in mind, of course, that the Zen is a different IEM altogether, I think the changes to FR depicted in the graph still provide a helpful indication of the relative effects of the tips measured:

eartips effect on frequency response fr.jpg

Other possible suitable tips

• Spiral Dot. I haven't tried these on the FD5, but based on past experience, they tend to have the consistent effect of smoothing the treble regions and pushing the midrange forward. At the same time, they tend to attenuate the mid-bass, and can result in a somewhat diffuse imaging (which I find to be true of most wide bores with most IEMs).
  • Acoustune AET08. These are my favourite tips for reducing treble emphasis and increasing low-end energy and overall tonal density, whilst resulting in the least compromise to overall technicalities. Compared to the AET07 or the SpinFit, though, they will lower the overall sense of air and openness.
  • Final E. A lot of people seem to like these tips, and I can understand why. They generally produce a smoother, darker, warmer, and bassier sound. However, I personally find that they also tend to narrow the soundstage by a fair amount, and produce a stuffier sound overall, with noticeably poorer separation. As always, though, YMMV.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2021 at 10:45 PM Post #801 of 1,891
Not to be a bore but I’m enjoying these, just been listening to some Soundgarden, Aphex Twin, Massive Attack, Wu Tang, U2, Prince, Bowie and all my pleasure centres were activated. (Note: beer was involved). A very enjoyable IEM.
Glad you're enjoying your time with em. But you don't really have to make the special point that beer was involved. I drink beer whenever I'm listening to my music and iems. Many others drink wine or other liquor, when relaxing and enjoying their gear. Whatever helps you to enjoy your experience.

Feb 20, 2021 at 4:14 AM Post #802 of 1,891
Wide bore tips

As shared in my initial impressions, I found the Symbio W, Symbio Peels, Azla Sedna, and Acoustune AET07 to highlight the upper-midrange/lower-treble emphasis and produce a decidedly splashy and inarticulate upper-treble. With the exception of the Acoustune AET07, the Symbios and Azla Sedna also tended to push back the lower-mids, resulting in a rather lean midrange and a dissonance between the upper and lower mids, exhibiting a kind of 'hollowness'.
Is this the Xelastec or the regular Azla Sedna?

Feb 20, 2021 at 8:58 PM Post #804 of 1,891
I'd definitely say it's a case of the FD5 revealing bad sibilance in the recordings. I know there are a few channels I watch where it's BAD now and again. A lot of YouTubers use pretty rough mics and have no idea how to treat it. They just use a Yeti or whatever, throw it in Hitfilm, call it a day.
I'm encountering the same thing. I also have the FH3 and FD1, and they show none in recordings where I hear it with the FD5.

Feb 20, 2021 at 9:05 PM Post #805 of 1,891
Anyone know of any other store that sells the RHA tuning filters or am I out of luck? They don't seem to ship to Dubai.

I'm loving this more than my FH5 in terms of fun but that treble spike is unbearable to the point that I prefer the smaller nozzles with the vocal tips. It does kill some detail and soundstage which I'm not pleased about but it's better than painful spikes and sibilance.

Feb 20, 2021 at 9:12 PM Post #806 of 1,891
Anyone know of any other store that sells the RHA tuning filters or am I out of luck? They don't seem to ship to Dubai.

I'm loving this more than my FH5 in terms of fun but that treble spike is unbearable to the point that I prefer the smaller nozzles with the vocal tips. It does kill some detail and soundstage which I'm not pleased about but it's better than painful spikes and sibilance.
This is strange because I find the wide bores to be having a slight veil in the upper treble with no sibilance at all. The narrow bores help bring that sparkle back. Spinfit CP800 on the smaller nozzle makes them image better whilst retaining that shimmer. What source do you have?

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2021 at 9:18 PM Post #807 of 1,891
This is strange because I find the wide bores to be having a slight veil in the upper treble with no sibilance at all. The narrow bores help bring that sparkle back. Spinfit CP200 on the smaller nozzle makes them image better whilst retaining that shimmer. What source do you have?

The sibilance exists on both my K5 Pro (Low gain) and BTR5 (Both the 3.5 and 2.5 balanced jacks). Listening to Spotify and lossless FLAC through Foobar2000 (PC) or Poweramp (Android). Using the small nozzles with the vocal tips mellows it down and actually makes it easy to listen to even at higher volumes.

EDIT: I got RHA to ship the nozzles to a shipping forwarder. Hopefully I'll be able to get them soon.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2021 at 7:40 AM Post #808 of 1,891
I hear the FD5 sound sibilant in the treble region. Does it become bearable after burn-in?

Also I use the Btr5 as my dac/amplifier on Ldac mode. I can't use the EQ while I'm on ldac in the fiio app, so is there anybody who can recommend me a good parametric equalizer app to go along with the btr5? I fear that I may have to use the EQ if the treble ends up being too sibilant.

Feb 21, 2021 at 7:42 AM Post #809 of 1,891
I hear the FD5 sound sibilant in the treble region. Does it become bearable after burn-in?

Also I use the Btr5 as my dac/amplifier on Ldac mode. I can't use the EQ while I'm on ldac in the fiio app, so is there anybody who can recommend me a good parametric equalizer app to go along with the btr5? I fear that I may have to use the EQ if the treble ends up being too sibilant.

Neutron player has very good internal EQ

Feb 21, 2021 at 1:18 PM Post #810 of 1,891
Deleted

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back