FiiO&JadeAudio Dynamic Driver IEMs Discussion & Impressions Thread
Aug 18, 2021 at 9:09 AM Post #1,336 of 1,891
Well as I said, I don't really think these are "issues", at least with my set. They don't have the greatest sound, but I doubt they're defective. It's possible, although unlikely, that 100 hours of burn in could improve the sound. But I don't think that would fix the bloated midbass, in fact it could make it worse.

Aug 18, 2021 at 2:15 PM Post #1,337 of 1,891
Aug 18, 2021 at 2:51 PM Post #1,338 of 1,891
You might be onto something with source sensitivity. Tbh the FD3 sound GREAT out of the N3Pro tube mode. Fun but detailed and lively with a coherent, spacious stage. Bass is a little boomy due to tuning or resonances, but pretty well controlled when compared to the mids. Might just be a synergy thing between the N3Pro and single-DD IEMs though. Hard for me to say.

Aug 18, 2021 at 3:56 PM Post #1,339 of 1,891
FD3Pro and Aria were delivered today! I need this day to end so I can get home and open my new toys :)

Aug 18, 2021 at 4:04 PM Post #1,340 of 1,891
My "tip" for the Aria is to change tips from stock to Spinfit CP145. It opens them up quite a bit. I found the stock foamed and the larger black nozzle to be the best for the FD3, but that's not saying much.

Aug 18, 2021 at 4:07 PM Post #1,341 of 1,891
My "tip" for the Aria is to change tips from stock to Spinfit CP145. It opens them up quite a bit. I found the stock foamed and the larger black nozzle to be the best for the FD3, but that's not saying much.
I have some Spinfit tips, but dont remember which series they are. I will def try them out. thx for the "tip" :wink:

Aug 18, 2021 at 5:27 PM Post #1,342 of 1,891
My FD3 Pros also arrived, albeit a day earlier! Some observations:

1. Packaging and unboxing, gorgeous. Cable and shell color, absolutely up my alley in aesthetics and feel. I’m glad I pony’d up for the Pro version.

2. I initially went with medium size tips at first as this seems to be the size I’ve been using lately with a lot of my other IEMs. I didn’t like the sound at all and realized I just wasn’t getting a good enough seal. Popped on the vocal tips (S) with the treble tubes and started to immediately hear the texture in the bass as well as the mids sounding more present.

3. Even with the better fit, it’s an energetic, bright signature. Bass is present and the texture is great. It seems I could possibly distinguish different bass guitar tones/amps if I listen close enough. Soundstage seems to average yet widens with a powerful source/amp like most others. Instrument separation, I think, is quite good and maybe on par with the Tin Audio P1, though I would need to A/B. That’s just a hunch though.

4. If you got a lot of different tips, this is an IEM to tip roll with. I spent a small fortune some months ago on tips so the FD3 is making me appreciate that spending exercise. So far, I’m digging Xelastics in Small (which is maybe a medium for other brands). Not only do this feel comfortable but I’m getting a really good seal that thats helping to make FD3 sound a little more dimensional and giving it some better depth. I still have more tips to try out - Sedna/Sedna shorts/Spinfits.

5. Back to the highs. I think it’s presenting the highs better than the P1 although that probably isn’t saying a whole lot. I feel the highs are a bit crisp though. Vocals, male or female, don’t seem to have a lot of weight behind them either even with the different tips I’ve tried out so far. I think I prefer the mids on the P1 though. Bass presence, texture - FD3.

6. I agree with others who’ve mentioned that there is a good percussive snap in these.

7. These aren’t burned in. I don’t burn in anything.

Pic below: - V30/Neutron -> A&K PEE51 -> FD3 Pro. The colors of the 51 and the Pro cable match really well if that’s important to anyone.

Edited: Took a better pic.

C1019669-63B3-494F-887A-ACFEBB7D8617.jpeg

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2021 at 9:42 PM Post #1,343 of 1,891
My FD3 Pros also arrived, albeit a day earlier! Some observations:

1. Packaging and unboxing, gorgeous. Cable and shell color, absolutely up my alley in aesthetics and feel. I’m glad I pony’d up for the Pro version.

2. I initially went with medium size tips at first as this seems to be the size I’ve been using lately with a lot of my other IEMs. I didn’t like the sound at all and realized I just wasn’t getting a good enough seal. Popped on the vocal tips (S) with the treble tubes and started to immediately hear the texture in the bass as well as the mids sounding more present.

3. Even with the better fit, it’s an energetic, bright signature. Bass is present and the texture is great. It seems I could possibly distinguish different bass guitar tones/amps if I listen close enough. Soundstage seems to average yet widens with a powerful source/amp like most others. Instrument separation, I think, is quite good and maybe on par with the Tin Audio P1, though I would need to A/B. That’s just a hunch though.

4. If you got a lot of different tips, this is an IEM to tip roll with. I spent a small fortune some months ago on tips so the FD3 is making me appreciate that spending exercise. So far, I’m digging Xelastics in Small (which is maybe a medium for other brands). Not only do this feel comfortable but I’m getting a really good seal that thats helping to make FD3 sound a little more dimensional and giving it some better depth. I still have more tips to try out - Sedna/Sedna shorts/Spinfits.

5. Back to the highs. I think it’s presenting the highs better than the P1 although that probably isn’t saying a whole lot. I feel the highs are a bit crisp though. Vocals, male or female, don’t seem to have a lot of weight behind them either even with the different tips I’ve tried out so far. I think I prefer the mids on the P1 though. Bass presence, texture - FD3.

6. I agree with others who’ve mentioned that there is a good percussive snap in these.

7. These aren’t burned in. I don’t burn in anything.

Pic below: - V30/Neutron -> A&K PEE51 -> FD3 Pro. The colors of the 51 and the Pro cable match really well if that’s important to anyone.

Edited: Took a better pic.

C1019669-63B3-494F-887A-ACFEBB7D8617.jpeg
Thanks for sharing the experience!

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Aug 19, 2021 at 5:26 AM Post #1,344 of 1,891
You might be onto something with source sensitivity. Tbh the FD3 sound GREAT out of the N3Pro tube mode. Fun but detailed and lively with a coherent, spacious stage. Bass is a little boomy due to tuning or resonances, but pretty well controlled when compared to the mids. Might just be a synergy thing between the N3Pro and single-DD IEMs though. Hard for me to say.
I agree with you about the detail and spacious staging, fun and lively. This track sounds as good as I have heard it on the FD3:

Aug 19, 2021 at 5:02 PM Post #1,345 of 1,891
Just got my review unit in. Like @Dsnuts my box wasn’t sealed, I am wondering if they are indeed burning in review units prior to shipping.

Out of box I am liking the sound, it’s a very pleasant, warm and smooth sound. The 5k peak is noticeable on some tracks but it’s not in any way a dealbreaker for me, in general the treble is quite smooth and well done. The lower mids are definitely warm, and I can understand where people are coming from who find the midbass to be bloated, but I’ll need to listen more to know how I feel about it myself.

So far not hearing the soundstage as exceptionally wide. This is on the included balanced filter, I will need to try later with the treble nozzles.

Both male and female vocals are very good. Timbre is not quite neutral due to the warmth but is very pleasing. Cymbals are quite natural. Note weight is excellent from top to bottom.

Actually for fans of the ISN H40 who want a similar single dynamic, the FD3 is a great choice at half the price.

I need to do a lot more listening, especially to get a feel for the technicalities.

Aug 19, 2021 at 7:57 PM Post #1,347 of 1,891
After a few hours of listening I can say with a fair amount of confidence that if the midbass were cut back a bit, the FD3 would be pretty darn close to perfection. As it is it's still excellent, and without doubt it's well worth the $100 point of entry, but there are some tracks where it comes across as a bit boomy.

Aug 19, 2021 at 9:24 PM Post #1,348 of 1,891
A little too much mid-bass and the treble balance should be less lower, more upper. But it's a single DD. I guess most others step up a hy or tri-brid to get that level of refined tuning.

Aug 19, 2021 at 11:26 PM Post #1,350 of 1,891
Actually just made a counter-intuitive discovery: bass tips improve midbass boominess a bit!
I was ready to mention the same thing. Tip rolling is a must with these...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back