FiiO FD1 - 10mm 1DD IEM
Jul 18, 2020 at 8:46 AM Post #196 of 381
You keep mentioning taping “both” vent holes. Is there another one other then the main vent overlying the driver? Or are you talking about taping over one vent on each side?
Theres another 1 near the connector, but after hearing for much longer, taping the hole behind the driver is enough. With both taped, bass is abit too strong for prolonged listening

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2020 at 1:41 PM Post #197 of 381
I second the tape modification, bass and tonality improved (for my taste)

Jul 18, 2020 at 2:12 PM Post #198 of 381
I have to try taping the other vent. Just taping the back vent already increases bass a lot, w/o getting sloppy. It may be better to leave one vent open.

Jul 18, 2020 at 2:35 PM Post #200 of 381
I've had my FD1 a few days now. I wasn't sure what to think at first, but after some tinkering I think they're quite good.
  • They need power. It's curious to me when an under $100 set needs a really good source to shine in terms of product placement/marketing, but I think that's true here. I thought they were too bright and sounded too thin when listening to FD1 from my phone (even when tricking the v40 into high gain mode). Low gain mode on the Lotoo Paw S1 was a little bit better, but then switching to high gain at lower volume was a revelation compared to my initial impressions.
  • I normally go for wide bore tips, but Final E tips are the definite winner for both sound and comfort for me.
  • Stock cable seems fine but I switched to a pure copper KBear cable and it gave the FD1 bit more of a "black background", I like the pairing.
  • The separation is really good when given enough power. I feel like FD1 sometimes exaggerates left-right stereo presentation, but the sound stage presentation on the whole does a good job of avoiding an in-your-head feeling; no complaints about stage at all in this price range.
  • I don't feel like I'm missing any treble, I know that has been some people's impression, but to me there's enough extension and it definitely doesn't sound dark. Treble is definitely not over emphasized for sure though, so I haven't experienced any sort of fatigue.
  • Mids are very forward but avoid being shouty. Tonality wise the mids seem similar to the TFZ sets I have, but are not as thin/shouty as my TFZs can get.
  • Bass is very tight and taut, it's kind of the unsung hero of the overall tuning. Definitely not geared towards bassheads. It's got fairly fast decay but still provides dynamics and impact. The bass can really surprise with the amount of impact it can provide, but always stays very "technical", controlled and clean. Presents kick drums very well.
  • Detail retrieval on the whole is not what I'd consider a standout attribute, but it gets the job done, and everything that is presented sounds crisp and clean.

Jul 18, 2020 at 2:43 PM Post #201 of 381
I don't feel like I'm missing any treble, I know that has been some people's impression, but to me there's enough extension and it definitely doesn't sound dark. Treble is definitely not over emphasized for sure though, so I haven't experienced any sort of fatigue.
I pretty much agree exactly with all of your impressions, though I haven’t noticed high power requirements, but I need to experiment more.

I don’t find it really missing treble either, and it doesn‘t have over emphasized/bright treble. It is actually almost ideal IMO, but it is not very extended above 10KHz, such as with the T2+, T4, BL05, etc, but those are brighter sounding IEMs in general.

Jul 18, 2020 at 3:39 PM Post #202 of 381
That one vent near the connector is small, and very easy to miss with the wire plugged in.

IMO, taping just the small vents near the connectors, increases the bass a little bit, but very cleanly. Many may like this mod.

Taping just the main vents overlying the drivers increases the bass significantly, with a lot more punch and rumble, but yet the bass remains quick and clean. It can intrude on the midrange a little just due to sheer volume. This could be considered bass head level, and is actually my preferred tuning.

Taping both vents increases the bass a little more than just the main vents. It doesn’t increase the bass a ton, but enough to make it sound too boomy. This is my least favorite tuning, not just due to the sound, but it makes me nervous having all vents covered up. It seems there is perhaps some added ear pressure with all vents covered. I’m using the included black tips (which after much tip rolling, are my favorite), and even with both vents taped, it doesn’t seem easy to cause driver flex.

With just having the main vents covered and using Sedna tips, which for me creates a very tight seal, there was some driver flex on the left (which is the more common side for driver flex for me and my anatomy).

D3018E7C-64FD-4429-B5D7-B0152903B7F5.jpeg

Jul 18, 2020 at 5:57 PM Post #203 of 381
For anyone wondering, the two pin connectors that fit many TFZ IEMs or the NICEHCK NX7 also fit the FD1 perfectly.

Jul 19, 2020 at 7:05 PM Post #204 of 381
Lies, Lies, Lies (sorry about the reflections) :ksc75smile:
(edit to add)
Regardless of the Gold-plated retaining "ring" (denoting either the nozzle or the highlighted area) not looking the part, on the EA1. Hopefully the noted differences will equate to a variance in the sound signature, versus the FD1

[Gold-plated retaining ring, stable vocalization unit]The EA1 earbuds is meticulously designed with a gold-plated aluminium alloy retaining ring and sound tube for each unit, beautifying the EA1 and simultaneously providing way stable cavity for the audible unit, achieving incredible sound quality. The loose and atmospheric bass, clearly transparent mids and high-resolution treble, are specially tuned with relatively balanced distributions.
Fiio FD1 (L) JadeAudio EA1 (R)
J vs F DD.jpg

(link to listing)
Based on the copy being exactly the same (on Amazon), except for the description of the respective cable:

EA1
[Flagship-grade beryllium-plated diaphragm driver]With JadeAudio's typical flagship-grade headphone technology, the EA1 headphone dynamic driver is made of high-end beryllium, known for being light, thin yet extremely rigid. It brings you a sense of movement and power, shaping majestic sound performances. That means 4 times more rigid than steel, three fourth lighter than titanium,and sound velocity up to 12KM/s.Extraordinary configuration just perfectly matches with you.

[Two-way magnetic circuit design,powerful driven capacity]The EA1 earphone dynamic driver is designed with an N50 two-way magnetic circuit having a 55% magnetic flux promotion and nearly 1 Tesla of magnetic field intensity compared with the traditional single magnetic circuit. The double magnetic flux activates forceful driven capacities that enable energetic, robust bass performances and even full and delightful transient responses.

[Patented balanced pressure relief technology,for long-time wearing]The beryllium diaphragm coupled with the two-way magnetic circuit design allows improved bass acoustic pressure and deeper bass explosion. Plus FiiO patented balanced pressure relief technology, the pressure is able to stay in a balanced state after precise counting and adjusting.You can comfortably enjoy hi-res music for a long time with no burdens.

[Gold-plated retaining ring, stable vocalization unit]The EA1 earbuds is meticulously designed with a gold-plated aluminium alloy retaining ring and sound tube for each unit, beautifying the EA1 and simultaneously providing way stable cavity for the audible unit, achieving incredible sound quality. The loose and atmospheric bass, clearly transparent mids and high-resolution treble, are specially tuned with relatively balanced distributions.

[Higher-standard upgraded accessory,4-stranded high-purity monocrystalline copper cable]Included with the EA1 is the cable made of braided Litz wires, 24 cores per strand, 4 strands in a total of 96 cores. Each Litz wire is insulated from each other, ensuring better audio transmission performance under the naturally-occurring yet .

FD1
[Flagship-grade beryllium-plated diaphragm driver]With FiiO's typical flagship-grade headphone technology, the FD1 headphone dynamic driver is made of high-end beryllium, known for being light, thin yet extremely rigid. It brings you a sense of movement and power, shaping majestic sound performances. That means 4 times more rigid than steel, three fourth lighter than titanium,and sound velocity up to 12KM/s.Extraordinary configuration just perfectly matches with you.

[Two-way magnetic circuit design,powerful driven capacity]The FD1 earphone dynamic driver is designed with an N50 two-way magnetic circuit having a 55% magnetic flux promotion and nearly 1 Tesla of magnetic field intensity compared with the traditional single magnetic circuit. The double magnetic flux activates forceful driven capacities that enable energetic, robust bass performances and even full and delightful transient responses.

[Patented balanced pressure relief technology,for long-time wearing]The beryllium diaphragm coupled with the two-way magnetic circuit design allows improved bass acoustic pressure and deeper bass explosion. Plus FiiO patented balanced pressure relief technology, the pressure is able to stay in a balanced state after precise counting and adjusting.You can comfortably enjoy hi-res music for a long time with no burdens.

[Gold-plated retaining ring, stable vocalization unit]The FD1 earbuds is meticulously designed with a gold-plated aluminium alloy retaining ring and sound tube for each unit, beautifying the FD1 and simultaneously providing way stable cavity for the audible unit, achieving incredible sound quality. The loose and atmospheric bass, clearly transparent mids and high-resolution treble, are specially tuned with relatively balanced distributions.

[Higher-standard upgraded accessory,4-stranded high-purity monocrystalline copper cable]Included with the FD1 HiFi headphone is the cable made of braided Litz wires, 30 cores per strand, 4 strands in a total of 120 cores. Ensuring better audio transmission performance under the naturally-occurring yet

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2020 at 8:00 PM Post #205 of 381
I am not connecting the dots. It looks like the “lies” are that the EA1’s nozzle is gold plated plus..? No disrespect intended. I am just not understanding your post.

Jul 19, 2020 at 9:34 PM Post #206 of 381
Hi, guys, I saw some user talking about the modification of the FD1, here is some notice from our engineer.

1. The small hole of the front cavity is used to relieve pressures. It can help to moderate pressures that happened to the ear canal when putting the FD1 inside the ears. If the front cavity is blocked, it would enhance the bass performance. However, hearing fatigue would also be caused easily due to increasing pressures in the ear canal.

2. The dynamic driver diaphragm of the FD1 is entirely plated with beryllium material. Therefore, if the front pressure-relief hole is blocked, it would possibly lead to transformation to the beryllium-plated diaphragm and thus bring abnormality to the sound performance.

just take care if you feel there are any issues after you modded the FD1. of course, it does not means there will have quality issues 100%, just in case.

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jul 19, 2020 at 9:34 PM Post #207 of 381
I am not connecting the dots. It looks like the “lies” are that the EA1’s nozzle is gold plated plus..? No disrespect intended. I am just not understanding your post.
That's what I get for doing a post, while working on another project. The automatic cache caught my 1st draft and I posted it, without checking.

(heres' what I missed in the 1st post)
Regardless of the Gold-plated retaining "ring" (denoting either the nozzle or the highlighted area) not looking the part, on the EA1. Hopefully the noted differences will equate to a variance in the sound signature, versus the FD1

J vs F DD.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2020 at 9:43 PM Post #208 of 381
That one vent near the connector is small, and very easy to miss with the wire plugged in.

IMO, taping just the small vents near the connectors, increases the bass a little bit, but very cleanly. Many may like this mod.

Taping just the main vents overlying the drivers increases the bass significantly, with a lot more punch and rumble, but yet the bass remains quick and clean. It can intrude on the midrange a little just due to sheer volume. This could be considered bass head level, and is actually my preferred tuning.

Taping both vents increases the bass a little more than just the main vents. It doesn’t increase the bass a ton, but enough to make it sound too boomy. This is my least favorite tuning, not just due to the sound, but it makes me nervous having all vents covered up. It seems there is perhaps some added ear pressure with all vents covered. I’m using the included black tips (which after much tip rolling, are my favorite), and even with both vents taped, it doesn’t seem easy to cause driver flex.

With just having the main vents covered and using Sedna tips, which for me creates a very tight seal, there was some driver flex on the left (which is the more common side for driver flex for me and my anatomy).

D3018E7C-64FD-4429-B5D7-B0152903B7F5.jpeg

this kind of paper is ok cause it is not 100% stuffiness ( not sure whether this word is suitable in here )

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jul 20, 2020 at 12:17 AM Post #209 of 381
That's what I get for doing a post, while working on another project. The automatic cache caught my 1st draft and I posted it, without checking.

(heres' what I missed in the 1st post)

J vs F DD.jpg

Thanks

Jul 20, 2020 at 7:55 AM Post #210 of 381
Disclaimer, these are the first IEMs I own and this is the fist review I write for an audio product.
Until now, my only experience with IEMs was a small listening session with the Fiio FH1 and the FA5. The in-ears I have listened to the most are the AKG buds that came with my Samsung S9 (which are surprisingly good actually)

J5K5M8b.jpg

I found the Fiio FD1 for sale on a local classifieds site, for the equivalent of 52Eur (59USD), which I thought is a very good deal and low enough price not to be sorry if they were broken, so I called up the seller. I was actually surprised to find out that they were practically new. The seller tried them with his own tips for 2-3 hours, did not like them and put them up for sale.

First impression, connected to a BTR5, with foam tips, using the unbalanced 3.5mm cable they came with: a bit to many highs (harsh, sometimes sibilant) in certain songs, but they have potential, so, I left them playing metal, electro, jazz, classic, at 50% volume out of the MusicBee / BTR5 for about 20 hours.

I know, I know, burn in snake oil, but what harm can it do?

Well, it seems It actually did good. Now, after listening to them for a few more hours with the foam tips on, they have definitely relaxed, but in certain songs they still sound a bit harsh (Pendulum's Immersion album for example, but this might be because of the mastering as well). In most of the music I listen to (metal in general) the highs are a bit more highlighted, but they are not fatiguing. Nothing I cannot fix from the BTR5's equalizer if it gets annoying though.

Bass is nice and detailed. I managed to understand instruments and separate them better than with the AKGs. In some metal tracks I wished for a bit more bass "slam" though, but I never wished for less, which is more important to me. As a curiosity, I did a low frequency test, starting from 5hz and up. I can clearly start hearing them from 13hz up (according to this article they start at 10hz).

Regarding the mids, sadly I have too little experience to explain how they sound. All I can say is that the mids are not "in my face", I do not have the sensation that vocals are being shouted to me, but are part of the song itself.

The FD1 reproduces the songs Utopia (youtube), After Time (youtube), La Viflaim Colo-n Jos (youtube), Summer Dreams (youtube), True Story (youtube), Voices (youtube), Master Code YS63 spot on for what I consider to be really enjoyable for subbass, bass, mids and highs.

A little fearful I decided to try my 2 benchmark songs for highs and "speed" (warning, they are metal, for whom does not like the style):
1. Borknagar - Up North (youtube). Vortex's voice sounds so smooth on the FD1. Then, the 3 seconds between min 1.21 and min 1.24 where the double bass and the cymbal "blast in", then from 1.27-1.30, all the instruments are very clear and easily identifiable.
2. Mgła - Exercises in Futility V (youtube). Especially starting from min 2:57, where there is so much going on at the same time on the drums, the FD1 has absolutely no issues. I can hear every note nice and clear. If you are curious how the drummer pulls it off, look here (from min 3:00)

The FD1 has absolutely no issues with these 2 songs. Actually I was pleasantly surprised. So, I approve (also, I can headbang with them on, which is a plus)

Moving on to the fit and comfort, I have to fiddle with them a bit untilI I can feel comfortable and not feel pressure from the tips, but after that I can wear them for multiple hours (the longest I kept them on was 4 hours). Here's are a couple of images with how the FD1 fits in my ear:

87gffty.jpg
PztEEY2.jpg

As nothing is perfect, I do have one small issue with them though:
Why are they so thick? Why is there is so much open space behind the driver?

BnnHW1N.jpg
0WFGfp6.jpg
Cek9XQ0.jpg

I think that Fiio could have made the shell 3-4 mm thinner which could have made them a bit more comfortable as well (especially for winter when I wear beanies).
Couldn't Fiio have tuned the driver in such a way not to be affected by the reduction in internal volume? Or was this a case of "use already available molds/shell" to keep the price down?

In the end, the conclusion is that, for the money I paid for them, the FD1 is awesome and I really like them.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back