Fiio Fa9 low frequency testing after maxed volume
post-15731639
Post #1 of 4

sdh1084

New Head-Fier
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I got the Fiio Fa9 IEM's accidentally had them connected to a Dragonfly Cobalt at full volume on a song (Not in my ears, thank fully) for like 5 seconds or so. I could however hear them making a really flabby bass sound. The question is could this have damaged the drivers in any way? I downloaded this video (link to download in description) and connected the Fa9 to an Micro iDSD Black Label amp/dac and only thing I noticed that might be off is down around 45Hz and maybe 27Hz there is a very slight, seems random bit of distortion here and there. Is this normal for an IEM of this caliber? Would anyone care to test their IEM's with this sound test? The test is near 5:00 min into the video.

Thank you,
Steve

Last edited:
post-15731993
Post #2 of 4

buonassi

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
From what I understand, balanced armatures are hard to fry.

Anything under 40 hz I'd think is subject to distortion of small amounts. Check with pure sine tones at -10 dbfs vs a YouTube video as the track on the video may be clipping and causing the distortion.

If you can't hear any obvious distortion and moderately loud volumes when listening to your favorite tracks , I wouldn't worry about it.

post-15732764
Post #3 of 4

sdh1084

New Head-Fier
Reaction score
From what I understand, balanced armatures are hard to fry.

Anything under 40 hz I'd think is subject to distortion of small amounts. Check with pure sine tones at -10 dbfs vs a YouTube video as the track on the video may be clipping and causing the distortion.

If you can't hear any obvious distortion and moderately loud volumes when listening to your favorite tracks , I wouldn't worry about it.
Thank you for the reply!

Reactions: buonassi
post-15732846
Post #4 of 4

buonassi

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
I've made mistakes with multi balanced armature earphones. Dragonfly Red on max volume. Fortunately, it wasn't a very expensive IEM. Unfortunately, they were in my ears! I've never yanked something out of my ears so damn fast. Thankfully it was only a split second and I didn't sustain any hearing damage (at least I didn't have any pain or ringing that followed - a good sign).

I thought for sure the IEMs were going to be compromised. But they were just fine when I tried them at regular volumes later on.

Reactions: sdh1084

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)