[FiiO FA1] Single Balanced Armature In-Ear Monitors, Knowles Customized BA Driver, DLP 3D Printing Technology,Detachable MMCX Cable
Oct 21, 2019 at 1:51 PM Post #349 of 398
My graph is quite a bit different to Chris's - but is aligned to what I'm hearing.

Bass is nicely matched to both upper mids and lower treble. Very good bass extension - including sub-bass. But its really clean bass. There is sufficient rumble, but its not over-done. Mids tend to favour female vocals just a little, but again not excessively. Male vocals are ever so slightly on the lean side, but not unpleasantly so. There is enough lower treble to allow detail without getting splashy. Cymbals sound great.

I like the FA1 a lot more than the FA7. A touch cool - but with enough bass to give impact.

Hi @Brooko, question for you. Been comparing your measurement graphs of the FA1 and the FH5 one here. On the FH5 700Hz is 0dB, 50Hz is at +8dB, 2.2kHz is +9db and 7kHz is +6dB. For the FA1 we have 0db for 800Hz, 60Hz is at +7dB, 2.8kHz is at +8dB and 6-7kHz is at +8dB.
What I see is that the two are very close in measured frequency response, yet everyone says FA1 has significantly less bass qty than the FH5 and is colder. Would you agree, and if yes, how would that explain the similar FR graphs? Thanks.

Nov 10, 2019 at 5:56 AM Post #351 of 398
Hi @Brooko, question for you. Been comparing your measurement graphs of the FA1 and the FH5 one here. On the FH5 700Hz is 0dB, 50Hz is at +8dB, 2.2kHz is +9db and 7kHz is +6dB. For the FA1 we have 0db for 800Hz, 60Hz is at +7dB, 2.8kHz is at +8dB and 6-7kHz is at +8dB.
What I see is that the two are very close in measured frequency response, yet everyone says FA1 has significantly less bass qty than the FH5 and is colder. Would you agree, and if yes, how would that explain the similar FR graphs? Thanks.
Better to look at the two matched up :) Easier to make the comparison then.

FA1 vs FH5.png

As you can see - while the shape is very similar - they are actually quite different.

Firstly - the FH5 has a DD for bass, while the FA1 has a single BA. The DD will always move more air - regardless of what the graphs say. So the bass tends to be more impactful on the FH5 and have a little more timbre. The FA1 is faster and a little lighter. Now - looking at the upper mids and lower treble. The FH5 is over-emphasised, with a big peak at 2-3kHz. This can be a little shouty or grainy. The FA1 has much better balance. The FA1 is flatter overall, where the FH5 is more Vshaped.

Dec 13, 2019 at 7:30 AM Post #352 of 398
Can anyone recommend an ear tip replacement for the FA1s?

I was extremely happy with the large clear balanced tips that were provided, but I've lost one and can't seem to get replacements(have emailed Fiio and all UK suppliers), so looking for something similar ...

Dec 13, 2019 at 5:28 PM Post #355 of 398
I have been using spinfit CP100 large with success.

I switched from the CP100 L to the CP145 L for both my FA1 and FH1. The CP145 fit a little better in my ears and a bit less tight on the stems.

Dec 13, 2019 at 6:18 PM Post #357 of 398
I had previously been using the CP145 but found the CP100 to provide better listening results because of a tighter fit on the stem.

I would think that the difference would be more because of the fit in the ear. The CP145 is more bullet shaped. That's the primary reason that I use them.

Dec 13, 2019 at 6:32 PM Post #358 of 398
I would think that the difference would be more because of the fit in the ear. The CP145 is more bullet shaped. That's the primary reason that I use them.
We may be both right, each of our ears are different both in anatomical shape and what our hearing and brain resolve.

I have learned that ear tip choice is very subjective, but I do find reports by others to still be instructive.

Dec 13, 2019 at 6:49 PM Post #359 of 398
We may be both right, each of our ears are different both in anatomical shape and what our hearing and brain resolve.

I have learned that ear tip choice is very subjective, but I do find reports by others to still be instructive.

Oh, true of course. I'm not saying that the CP145 is better for anyone but me. I'm just saying that it seems to fit my ear better. I'm just happy that SpinFit makes different designs and sizes.

Dec 13, 2019 at 6:52 PM Post #360 of 398
Can anyone recommend an ear tip replacement for the FA1s?

I was extremely happy with the large clear balanced tips that were provided, but I've lost one and can't seem to get replacements(have emailed Fiio and all UK suppliers), so looking for something similar ...
I'm sure Fiio didn't manufacture those eartips, and they probably didn't have them specially made. I'd look for some that are the same shape and look like they have about the same size bore on Aliexpress.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back