FiiO F9, F9Pro-Detachable MMCX connector,Hi-Res Audio Certified,2.5mm TRRS/3.5mm audio cable
Jan 26, 2018 at 12:02 AM Post #1,322 of 1,544
Any tips to toning down the highs? Right ear is more sensitive to sibilance but something like the Audio-Techinca E40 is fine for me.

E40 - darker sound, upper mid/lower treble emphasis, deep (but not wide) soundstage, missing some details in highs
1More Triple Driver - Highs more metallic, boomier bass, pretty similar in detail retrieval but the F9 has a cleaner, forgiving sound while the 1More make any preexisting distortion very obvious.

Jan 26, 2018 at 11:04 AM Post #1,323 of 1,544
Any tips to toning down the highs? Right ear is more sensitive to sibilance but something like the Audio-Techinca E40 is fine for me.

E40 - darker sound, upper mid/lower treble emphasis, deep (but not wide) soundstage, missing some details in highs
1More Triple Driver - Highs more metallic, boomier bass, pretty similar in detail retrieval but the F9 has a cleaner, forgiving sound while the 1More make any preexisting distortion very obvious.

See my post from Jan 3 on page 86. I've been using them like this for almost a month and I love the sound.

Jan 27, 2018 at 2:57 PM Post #1,325 of 1,544
Update (2018-01-27): The stock unbalanced cable is beginning to cut out audio in both channels. I think it's due to repetitive stress damage of the sheath at the 3.5 mm plug strain relief. Full disclosure: I use these while running and cycling, often with my iPhone 6s in my pocket. I've been using them regularly since 2017-08-31. This isn't the first cable of mine to fail at that location. I will say that I have not seen this type of failure in the same conditions with right-angle plugs.

I ordered some 3rd-party replacement cable(s) on AliExpress (couldn't find any I liked from domestic sources) on 2018-01-11; they just showed up at my door in San Jose today.

The comments below pertain to the 3rd-party cable, in comparison to the FiiO unbalanced cable that comes with the F9.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Aip...e-With-Mic-for-SE215-315-535/32817159070.html

IMG_3444-02.jpg

This cable was 2 for $13.15, delivered. It works well; media controls (play/pause, volume up/down) are compatible with my iPhone, and it's much easier to operate the buttons. The FiiO controls are in a cylindrical enclosure, which makes orienting to the switches very difficult.

The cable jacket is not too grippy for use during exercise, and is much less prone to tangling, which is also helped by the less aggressive curvature of the ear hooks. The MMCX connectors, while feeling like a sturdy connection, are easier to rotate and insert/remove. So far, so good. We'll see how long they last.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2018 at 9:48 AM Post #1,326 of 1,544
hi all...finally got the Fiio RC-MMCXB for my F9.
IMG_20180129_214442.jpg
before this, I was using an old single ended cable from Fiio, which is not available anymore, for my old Shure SE215.

Top is the balanced cable and bottom is the se. the se cable have 8 separate wires, 4 for each channel while the new balanced cable have 4 separate wires, 2 per channel.
IMG_20180129_214716_HHT.jpg
IMG_20180129_214828_HHT.jpg
IMG_20180129_215037_HHT.jpg

The balanced cable is softer and without the memory plastic, which I find more comfortable and does not curled up like the older se cable when un-rolled. Aesthetics wise, the balanced cable also seems better.

In terms of sound, the se cable is more robust and a bit rougher on the edges, whereas the balance cable is smoother, more refined and controlled. Both this cables are just as good but different, still trying out to find which sound I like better. And its definitely an upgrade from the F9's stock cables, with the sound stage, transparency and bass greatly improved compared to the stock cables, giving the F9 an opportunity to show its sonic potential.

Feb 1, 2018 at 7:00 AM Post #1,329 of 1,544
Maybe someone can help me with the ear tips falling off the F9, what I mean is when I try to remove the F9 from my ear the tips stay in the ear. how can I fix this please.

Thank you

What tips are you using?

This is a really strange issue since F9 has a very visible lip and the tips should stay in place

Feb 1, 2018 at 7:01 AM Post #1,330 of 1,544
Feb 1, 2018 at 7:07 AM Post #1,333 of 1,544
The only thing that comes to mind is that you should probably wash the tips with water and soap, and let them dry for a day. and use a tooth brush for the IEM body and brush it, so there is nothing slipperly like ear was causing the tip to slip out.
Thanks for the fast reply, I will try what you suggested.

Feb 1, 2018 at 7:28 AM Post #1,334 of 1,544
Our review on FiiO F9 is live! Quite a lovely IEM, which comes in an excellent package, at an excellent price! There are many other options out there, like F9Pro, but if your budget is quite limited, and if you want to find a great bang for the buck, we invite you to read more about F9!

https://audiophile-heaven.blogspot.ro/2018/02/fiio-f9-emotional-affordable-audiophile.html

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/fiio-f9-hybrid-3-way-in-ear-monitors.22609/reviews#review-19795

IMG_20170930_151444.jpg

Thanks for the review. I found the F9 Pro better, but the bass low quite a bit lower. I never really got a chance to compare it to the FH1, as the right channel started dropping out after an hour.

Feb 1, 2018 at 7:36 AM Post #1,335 of 1,544
Thanks for the review. I found the F9 Pro better, but the bass low quite a bit lower. I never really got a chance to compare it to the FH1, as the right channel started dropping out after an hour.

I don't have FH1 at this moment. F9Pro is indeed better to my ears, and I think that for FiiO to have released F9Pro was an interesting move, it clearly is better than F9, and if it were me, I'd really getr F9Pro better, unless really constrained by the budget.

I cannot post the review to Head-Fi's Facebook page... Sad thing :triportsad:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back