FiiO F9, F9Pro-Detachable MMCX connector,Hi-Res Audio Certified,2.5mm TRRS/3.5mm audio cable
Dec 6, 2017 at 11:17 PM Post #1,141 of 1,544
I expected them to sound more balanced, especially since they cost twice as much as Fiio EX1. But the bass and high frequency clarity and the whole overall presentation wins me over.

I have the EX1 Gen. 2 as well. How does it stack up against the F9 Pro in terms of clarity, bass quality (not necessarily quantity), clarity, and soundstage?

Dec 7, 2017 at 6:11 AM Post #1,142 of 1,544
I have the EX1 Gen. 2 as well. How does it stack up against the F9 Pro in terms of clarity, bass quality (not necessarily quantity), clarity, and soundstage?

I'm a fan of ex1 1st gen.. Have been using them for last 1.5yrs..absolutely love them.. I'm on the same boat regarding how much improvement f9 regular or pro wld be if i replace my ex1 for them.. Waiting for few more reviews and user feedbacks..

Dec 7, 2017 at 6:34 AM Post #1,143 of 1,544

I'm a fan of ex1 1st gen.. Have been using them for last 1.5yrs..absolutely love them.. I'm on the same boat regarding how much improvement f9 regular or pro wld be if i replace my ex1 for them.. Waiting for few more reviews and user feedbacks..

I have used both generstions of EX1's. I might not be the best man to share detailed analysis, but you can try reading my earlier comment.

In short, the F9 Pro's are incredibly detailed, but to me it seems they provide a worse audio balance then EX1. Where they were balanced, but with still very great bass output. The F9 Pro's give that same good bass and even better clarity, and great clarity with highs too, but I found to be missing the great mids EX1 gave. But it makes it up at least for providing good isolation, to me it makes all the difference for outdoor use. But as for signature, I still prefer EX1 more balanced sound.

When I say EX1, I'm mostly referring to 2nd gen, but As far as I remember they sounded very similar to normal EX1. 2nd gen were slightly more bassy.

Dec 7, 2017 at 7:06 AM Post #1,144 of 1,544
I have used both generstions of EX1's. I might not be the best man to share detailed analysis, but you can try reading my earlier comment.

In short, the F9 Pro's are incredibly detailed, but to me it seems they provide a worse audio balance then EX1. Where they were balanced, but with still very great bass output. The F9 Pro's give that same good bass and even better clarity, and great clarity with highs too, but I found to be missing the great mids EX1 gave. But it makes it up at least for providing good isolation, to me it makes all the difference for outdoor use. But as for signature, I still prefer EX1 more balanced sound.

When I say EX1, I'm mostly referring to 2nd gen, but As far as I remember they sounded very similar to normal EX1. 2nd gen were slightly more bassy.
Thanks a lot for such detailed insights.. Really helpful for me.. :)
Agreed.. Mid in ex1 is so amazing.. Also the bass is nice while listening indoor.. But almost drowned out while in outdoor noise..almost unusable during bus or train journey.. Also, F9pro is too costly for me here in India.. Thats why I'm looking for f9 regular or se maybe..

Dec 7, 2017 at 7:24 AM Post #1,145 of 1,544
Agreed.. Mid in ex1 is so amazing.. Also the bass is nice while listening indoor.. But almost drowned out while in outdoor noise..almost unusable during bus or train journey.. Also, F9pro is too costly for me here in India.. Thats why I'm looking for f9 regular or se maybe..
Then you should consider the new FH1. Theoretically since it has 1 knowles BA and 1 dynamic driver, it will be less brighter and more smoother on the mids and treble and should give a good bass slam due to its brass material. And it’s cheaper than the F9 and F9SE.

Dec 7, 2017 at 8:13 AM Post #1,146 of 1,544
Then you should consider the new FH1. Theoretically since it has 1 knowles BA and 1 dynamic driver, it will be less brighter and more smoother on the mids and treble and should give a good bass slam due to its brass material. And it’s cheaper than the F9 and F9SE.

Thanks for the heads up mate.. I'm looking closely on fh1 now.. Let's see when fiio gets them to India..

Dec 7, 2017 at 8:39 AM Post #1,147 of 1,544

Regular F9's are probably not a good choice. At least for me. Sibilance is right on border to being too excessive, I personally wouldn't want any more. But perhaps too early to say, almost all new headphones have felt/been sibilant in the first few days

Most of all L-shape cable is for life. And I really like the small carrying pouch. But if that's worth it? Maybe if you're a perfectionist

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2017 at 8:42 AM Post #1,148 of 1,544
Regular F9's are probably not a good choice. At least for me. Sibilance is right on border to being too excessive, I personally wouldn't want any more. But perhaps too early to say, almost all new headphones have felt/been sibilant in the first few days

I'm sensitive to sibilance.. Previously experienced similar too much sibilance in mee m6pro.. Couldn't stand it for long..maybe I'll not be able to stand f9 either.. Checking info regarding fh1.. Looking good..

Dec 7, 2017 at 8:45 AM Post #1,149 of 1,544
Thanks for the heads up mate.. I'm looking closely on fh1 now.. Let's see when fiio gets them to India..
Anytime mate. They’re already available to order via aliexpress with free DHL shipping. Priced at USD89. Great value there.

Dec 7, 2017 at 8:47 AM Post #1,150 of 1,544
I'm sensitive to sibilance.. Previously experienced similar too much sibilance in mee m6pro.. Couldn't stand it for long..maybe I'll not be able to stand f9 either.. Checking info regarding fh1.. Looking good..
I might have been too aggressive on F9 Pro sibilance conclusion, but it's enough that on some songs it's slightly too much, to draw that conclusion

Dec 7, 2017 at 9:11 AM Post #1,151 of 1,544
I might have been too aggressive on F9 Pro sibilance conclusion, but it's enough that on some songs it's slightly too much, to draw that conclusion
I’ve been using he F9 Pro for more than 2 weeks now. I primarily use it with the X3iii coupled with Q1ii. I don’t get any sibilance at all. This applies to dsd, flac, aac and mp3s. In fact in certain tracks, I yearn for a wee bit more sparkle but the F9 Pro is a remarkable IEM and is smooth sounding with breathtaking details and clarity not to mention comfort. . I’m also using the RC-MMCXB balanced cable for the F9 PRO, courtesy of Fiio. I can’t recommend it enough. It’s just that good.

Dec 7, 2017 at 9:17 AM Post #1,152 of 1,544
I’ve been using he F9 Pro for more than 2 weeks now. I primarily use it with the X3iii coupled with Q1ii. I don’t get any sibilance at all. This applies to dsd, flac, aac and mp3s. In fact in certain tracks, I yearn for a wee bit more sparkle but the F9 Pro is a remarkable IEM and is smooth sounding with breathtaking details and clarity not to mention comfort. . I’m also using the RC-MMCXB balanced cable for the F9 PRO, courtesy of Fiio. I can’t recommend it enough. It’s just that good.
I have a quite sensitive hearing, I hear many electronic devices making faint noises, which other people say they don't hear. Or hear after listening for a very long period of time in very quiet conditions. Perhaps I should have mentioned that.. But I wouldn't say it's a defect, I just can more easily hear higher frequency noises, or more quiet noises.

Dec 7, 2017 at 9:23 AM Post #1,153 of 1,544
I have a quite sensitive hearing, I hear many electronic devices making faint noises, which other people say they don't hear. Or hear after listening for a very long period of time in very quiet conditions. Perhaps I should have mentioned that.. But I wouldn't say it's a defect, I just can more easily hear higher frequency noises, or more quiet noises.
Well that’s true as everyone has a different auditory sensitivity. As for me, the F9 Pro, X3iii and the Q1ii makes for a killer combination and sends me to audio heaven every time I listen to it.

Dec 7, 2017 at 11:08 AM Post #1,154 of 1,544

Thank you! The F9 Pro having even better clarity than the EX1 II makes it tempting, but I think I'll stand pat for a while.

Dec 7, 2017 at 11:24 AM Post #1,155 of 1,544
What is the difference between the original sym cable - who comes with F9 pro - and the RC-MMCXB? Thanks for your information

Users who are viewing this thread

Back