FiiO F9, F9Pro-Detachable MMCX connector,Hi-Res Audio Certified,2.5mm TRRS/3.5mm audio cable
Oct 14, 2017 at 8:49 AM Post #691 of 1,544
I’m ignoring you now Darren - yap on as much as you like. You are the straw that finally broke the camels back. I’m going to bed, l’ll resign as Mod tomorrow, and I’ll find a new home next week. I’m done with Head-Fi

Hi Brooko,

You are taking this too personally, people are not attacking you or FiiO. You must understand that some people have to work long and hard to afford these products even though they are technically a budget range (although a very high quality budget range). I can no longer indulge myself due to an injury and loss of job.

I am very happy with the F9 as it is the best sounding in-ear that I have owned, however, FiiO admits that there are problems with it, such as not being able to accept some replacement cables etc. Now that these problems have been pointed out to FiiO they have changed the design which I admit is good for future customers but what about us? As I suggested on another thread, I would rather FiiO spend more time on design and testing rather than rushing to release products with bugs.

If FiiO announces a new product that fits my requirements, then I will happily wait for its release once FiiO has fully developed it. Unfortunately, having had two bad X5IIIs and now discovering that there are potential future problems with my F9 I will have to seriously look at their competitors before buying a FiiO again.

Oct 14, 2017 at 8:57 AM Post #692 of 1,544
Rushing for the kudos of being one of the first has a cost; often both technical and financial if the price drops later. So, if people are very sensitive to rapid product evolution, then the best strategy is to not be an early adopter but instead to wait 6-9 months for product maturity or skip that generation altogether. You have to decide: chase the latest gadget & want first edition and be an enthusiastic reviewer or sit back & be more patient & get a more mature product. Pay your money & make your choice!
I like my F9's but I sure agree that the cable is extremely difficult to add/remove and as a new user of this design I'm very worried about breaking mine. Hopefully, that won't happen but if it did I would certainly consider asking Fiio if they could help. I bought my x5iii as soon as it was released in the UK and I'm glad I did. The intervening FW releases added to stability but I was not impaired in the meantime. But, on the other hand, I'm glad I did not rush in for the x3iii as very early comments contained enough warnings to be cautious.
Glad Darren did not rush to buy a Shanling M3s as they have just been recalled to the factory:head_bandage:

Oct 14, 2017 at 8:57 AM Post #693 of 1,544
Lets recap.

Fiio releases a product. Two months later, FiiO posts on their official site a press release admitting to issues. Then, I dare to comment as to what is FiiO going to do for the initial customers, who in no small part, have made these issues aware to FiiO.

Then, Brooko, who has received many items for free from FiiO for his "impartial" reviews, jumps to FiiO's defence and then spits the dummy, saying he is resigning his moderator status because is done with Head-fi. If you don't like your opinions questioned by those of us who have actually paid for these items, then I think that is for the best!

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2017 at 11:42 AM Post #694 of 1,544
Quite a bit of passion on display in this thread about earphones.

I purchased an F9 back in August on Aliexpress, and they were packaged like, and functioned as, a finished product should be. I wouldn't characterize the issues that people are reporting (connector form/function) as bugs.
I applaud FiiO for responding to their customer's needs in such a timely manner, and see ongoing improvements in existing products as a benefit to all of us, in the long run. It pushes the industry forward.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2017 at 11:47 AM Post #695 of 1,544
I agree with everything you say. My point, as a previous F9 owner is, if they find three issues after only two months, means the product they released, no matter how good, could have been better and the early adopters should get something back.

Oct 14, 2017 at 12:05 PM Post #696 of 1,544
I agree with everything you say. My point, as a previous F9 owner is, if they find three issues after only two months, means the product they released, no matter how good, could have been better and the early adopters should get something back.
FiiO is offering a $15 discount on future purchases to anyone who posts a review. I don't see those issues as quality problems as much as opportunities for functional improvement. In hindsight, everything can be better.

Oct 14, 2017 at 12:14 PM Post #697 of 1,544
In hindsight, FiiO should have released the F9 two months later. $15 off having to review a product FiiO admit could have been better. Stop embarrassing yourselves. FiiO released an unfinished product and you are all up FiiO's arse arguing otherwise.

Oct 14, 2017 at 12:55 PM Post #698 of 1,544
Darren, for you and some others you have a valid point which your entitled to air but get the bee out of your bonnet, the mouse out of you ear and listen to some music!

Oct 14, 2017 at 12:57 PM Post #699 of 1,544
What is it with all this Beta tester BS? I have the F9, and even if they didn't make those changes, the F9 would still be one of the best value IEMs I've seen under $100 period. Now they want to try and improve them further (after getting feedback from their customers), and you want to penalise them for it?

You really don't deserve this company - and I mean that sincerely.

If you don't like it - then go follow another company and run then down all the time. I'm utterly sick of it.

Please don't leave. It is always good to have someone bring us down to earth :triportsad:

Rushing for the kudos of being one of the first has a cost; often both technical and financial if the price drops later. So, if people are very sensitive to rapid product evolution, then the best strategy is to not be an early adopter but instead to wait 6-9 months for product maturity or skip that generation altogether. You have to decide: chase the latest gadget & want first edition and be an enthusiastic reviewer or sit back & be more patient & get a more mature product. Pay your money & make your choice!
I like my F9's but I sure agree that the cable is extremely difficult to add/remove and as a new user of this design I'm very worried about breaking mine. Hopefully, that won't happen but if it did I would certainly consider asking Fiio if they could help. I bought my x5iii as soon as it was released in the UK and I'm glad I did. The intervening FW releases added to stability but I was not impaired in the meantime. But, on the other hand, I'm glad I did not rush in for the x3iii as very early comments contained enough warnings to be cautious.
Glad Darren did not rush to buy a Shanling M3s as they have just been recalled to the factory:head_bandage:

Ahahaha, true about M3s. The issue is minimal, but there has been a recall.

Lets recap.

Fiio releases a product. Two months later, FiiO posts on their official site a press release admitting to issues. Then, I dare to comment as to what is FiiO going to do for the initial customers, who in no small part, have made these issues aware to FiiO.

Then, Brooko, who has received many items for free from FiiO for his "impartial" reviews, jumps to FiiO's defence and then spits the dummy, saying he is resigning his moderator status because is done with Head-fi. If you don't like your opinions questioned by those of us who have actually paid for these items, then I think that is for the best!

I honestly don't think that Paul would defend FiiO if it weren't for a good reason, he actually criticized some things about F9 and X3-3, he is quite neutral about those things.

I personally plugged the mmcx connector tens of times already (for Balanced tests) and it is still going strong, F9 is one of the most comfortable IEMs I tried to date, and the sound punches at 300$ value, while they cost 100$. I honestly don't care if they released a semi-tweaked version, it doesn't change how good the actual version is, and at 100$, they are very modest in value. I'm sure that if they were more expensive, I would not have been as leninent, but really, a 100$ IEM that has good value and no inherent problems is hard to find.

The tweaks they made are minimal and will not change my usage in any way.

Just out of curiosity, I'd purchase all versions of F9, and just to prove a point here.

I've really got attached to FiiO over the years and I paid for all my purchases from them, I will tell when something is not absolutely right (like how X5-3 is very smooth in its sound), but I will tell when they do something right, like F9 punching at 300$ value...

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2017 at 2:47 PM Post #700 of 1,544

You have to realize that every product can always be 'better'. Kz literally changed the sound signature when they released the second version of their iem zs5. What fiio did was extremely subtle. They could have easily passed it off without ever making those extremely subtle fixes but they did decide to make those adjustments anyway which makes them a good company that actually listens to its customer base instead of being apple. I dont own the f9 yet but I do plan to order one after I get hold of some cash and the partial reason behind me wanting to order them is your positive impressions of the f9. I honestly wouldn't mind getting the first batch of f9. The 0.5% improvement in only ergonomics shouldn't bother anyone unless there is a case of ocd or jealousy.

@Brooko I also think you are taking this too personally. I have been in Head-fi for the past one and a half month and I love it here. Just like any other popular forum it is filled with all kinds of different people that can be described by words such as helpful, generous, complaining, unhelpful, arrogant etc. and this diversity in character is actually a good thing. I do believe Darren being furious towards fiio for this negligible 'upgrade' wasn't right and the criticism (if any) should have been more constructive.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2017 at 3:04 PM Post #701 of 1,544
You have to realize there every product can always be 'better'. Kz literally changed the sound signature when they released the second version of their iem zs5. What fiio did was extremely subtle. They could have easily passed it off without ever making those extremely subtle fixes but they did decide to make those adjustments anyway which makes them a good company that actually listens to its customer base instead of being apple. I dont own the f9 yet but I do plan to order one after I get hold of some cash and the partial reason behind me wanting to order them is your positive impressions of the f9. I honestly wouldn't mind getting the first batch of f9. The 0.5% improvement in only ergonomics shouldn't bother anyone unless there is a case of ocd or jealousy.

@Brooko I also think you are taking this too personally. I have been in Head-fi for the past one and a half month and I love it here. Just like any other popular forum it is filled with all kinds of different people that can be described by words such as helpful, generous, complaining, unhelpful, arrogant etc. and this diversity in character is actually a good thing. I do believe Darren being furious towards fiio for this negligible 'upgrade' wasn't right and the criticism (if any) should have been more constructive.

I have a feeling that being a mod can be extremely fatiguing for someone, the whole thing where people seem to blame FiiO while FiiO tries their best is a bit annoying since so far FiiO did more than you'd imagine to keep their position and to bring fun and well-priced stuff to their fans.

Just look around for another IEM that has similar price, sonic quality, and accessories. I know only one so far, that has a similarly good sound at this price, but it doesn't come with balanced cable, and it is not at similar comfort.

Oct 14, 2017 at 3:05 PM Post #702 of 1,544
It doesn’t matter - evidently I’m an arrogant shill (thanks Darren for pointing out the obvious error of my ways). So true to my word I resigned my Moderator status today (I can’t very well Moderate impartially if I have these personality traits - can I). I intend to write up the remaining “freebie” sample reviews I have - and which I obviously will put a biased and overly positive “spin” on the review. Apparently I do that.

At that stage, I shall fade out of Head-Fi.

Oct 14, 2017 at 3:09 PM Post #703 of 1,544
Oh - and for anyone coming to the thread - and wondering if the F9 is worth buying. In my honest opinion - absolutely! I still regard it as the best overall package I have personally used in the sub $100 range. And FiiO is a Company that cares about what’s its customers want - they are constantly trying to better their products. I treat that as a positive.

Oct 14, 2017 at 3:15 PM Post #704 of 1,544
It doesn’t matter - evidently I’m an arrogant shill (thanks Darren for pointing out the obvious error of my ways). So true to my word I resigned my Moderator status today (I can’t very well Moderate impartially if I have these personality traits - can I). I intend to write up the remaining “freebie” sample reviews I have - and which I obviously will put a biased and overly positive “spin” on the review. Apparently I do that.

At that stage, I shall fade out of Head-Fi.

I honestly don't think you should be doing that, you honestly come as neutral as it is humanly possible...

Oct 14, 2017 at 3:48 PM Post #705 of 1,544
Oh - and for anyone coming to the thread - and wondering if the F9 is worth buying. In my honest opinion - absolutely! I still regard it as the best overall package I have personally used in the sub $100 range. And FiiO is a Company that cares about what’s its customers want - they are constantly trying to better their products. I treat that as a positive.

Dont go...... 21,814 likes says you should not......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back