FiiO EX1 world tour--open for application now! (1st round member list announced)
Sep 23, 2015 at 2:07 PM Post #61 of 161

Haku, we seems to have many things in common 
smile.gif
 (ATH-R70x fans for sure 
L3000.gif
)
I like deep insertion as well, so I use triple flange eartips for Titan 1. Maybe you can try the triple flange for EX1 as well. The triple flange tames treble really2 well.
http://www.head-fi.org/products/dunu-titan-1-titanium-coated-diaphragm-earphones/reviews/12881
beerchug.gif

Have some at home. Will give them a shot. Have always had comfort issues with flanges... but willing to trey them again...

Sep 24, 2015 at 1:25 AM Post #62 of 161
Have some at home. Will give them a shot. Have always had comfort issues with flanges... but willing to trey them again...

Me too. Those always felt like "ribbed for your pleasure" in my ears :eek:

Personally I'm lukewarm about complys. They take extra time to roll up each time I insert and don't sound or isolate better than the right pair of silicone single flange tips for me (note I had no role in tip selection for the EX1 though)

They actually muffled the sound on one side, until I learned the trick of trimming the ends of the foam sticking out beyond the plastic tube...

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Sep 24, 2015 at 1:33 AM Post #63 of 161
Me too. Those always felt like "ribbed for your pleasure" in my ears
eek.gif

Personally I'm lukewarm about complys. They take extra time to roll up each time I insert and don't sound or isolate better than the right pair of silicone single flange tips for me (note I had no role in tip selection for the EX1 though)

They actually muffled the sound on one side, until I learned the trick of trimming the ends of the foam sticking out beyond the plastic tube...

Seems like you should like them, then 
wink_face.gif

Sep 24, 2015 at 2:08 AM Post #65 of 161

I'll second you. I am never comfortable with bi/triple flanges. Hence I'll never use them no matter how good they may be.
ph34r.gif

eek.gif

My sentiments too. If I'm lazy to cut it i'll try to remind myself to roll the foam backwards instead to ensure it doesnt cover the tube. Its still hit and miss though.

Sep 24, 2015 at 2:40 PM Post #66 of 161
eek.gif

Sticking with the Sony isolation hybrids. Still a little precarious, but if I ram the phones into my ears as far as they'll go I get a good seal, and not bad isolation either. Just have to avoid doing anything too vigorous. Listening while doing dishes last night was impressed with the warm quality and good bass presence. Still no detailed listening sessions, but enjoying the EX1 so far.

Sep 26, 2015 at 7:57 AM Post #67 of 161

I used 3 tracks only. I have O.C.D and can get lost in music. I prefer stuff I know like the back of my hand for comparing.

I have listened to these three hundreds and hundreds of times.

I used the Alpha & Delta AD01 (dual dynamic)  and the Sony xb90ex (single dynamic) for all three songs to compare with the FiiO EX1 (single dynamic)

All 3 files are .flac 24/192 played from a Note 4 > Cozoy Aegis which played them back at 24/192 using U.A.P.P and no eq

Earth Wind & Fire - "That's the way of the World"

Listened to IEM in this order:

EX1

1. Bass - Hard to hear... more than usual however I use elevated bass eq almost always so this could have been my ears adjusting.
  2. Mids - Sounded forward or "loud", vocals were good but horns and studio mixed layers were getting lost as the treble approached.
  3. Highs -  Singers voices in EW&F reach very high and the highs had a glare. The whole song sounded  ( ___/ ) shaped.
  4. Stage - Not wide and not narrow. didn't strike me as a item worth noting except it is

I assume the freq graph for the Dunu Titan would apply so the response should not sound like so

AD01

1. Bass -Sub-bass and bass clearly elevated but pleasing
  2. Mids - nice but slightly muted or less forward than the EX1
  3. Highs -  Singers voices in EW&F reach very high and the highs had no glare but sounded very smooth, not too detailed which is bad for some. I like smooth highs
  4. Stage - More compact than the EX1

XB90EX

1. Bass - Less sub-bass than AD01 but more than EX1 which had none. Bass is present and feels true to master
  2. Mids -  sound is natural and has no clear recess and not forward.
  3. Highs -  Sound crisp and detailed.
  4. Stage - Very very large presentation. Unlike AD01 and EX1

I would take the AD01>xb90ex>EX1
The sub bass of the AD01 is just so damn nice. The XB is Xtra Bass but without an eq it is not so. The EX1 seems to lack bass.
The graph of the Titan shows a semi flat region from 10-100Hz which is like a Planar. Very nice for an audiophile I imagine but too much info was simply not there.

Paused review as some things were off in my mind.
The EX1 had fantastic mids the night before but were in my face now?
Decided to alter the order of listening but leave these impressions as they are real.

Tupac Shakur (2pac)  - "2 of Amerikaz Most Wanted"

AD01

1. Bass - sub bass and bass transition to mids very nice.
  2. Mids - slight recess or falling into the treble area but not scooped
  3. Highs -  very nice and smooth. Clearly a type of genre' the AD01 shines at
  4. Stage -  Again, the AD01 is close to being compact but only compared to BA having units

EX1

1. Bass - This track has a lot of bass beyond sub-bass which was again not there but familiar 80Hz hit was there.
  2. Mids -  sounded loud, forward but for this track that is good. What was shouty in the Earth Wind & Fire track is bouncy joy on this track little info gone (dip in freq?)
  3. Highs -  maybe it's the master but the highs sounded great and I know this track inside out and it was bass light but otherwise fine
  4. Stage - Not of note. Track not mixed in a way that sounds wide but holographic ghostly sounding women's voices were hard to catch (late mids?)

XB90EX

1. Bass - Less sub-bass than AD01 but more than EX1 which had none. Bass is present and feels true to master (same as previous track)
  2. Mids -  sound is natural and has no clear recess and not forward. (same as previous track)
  3. Highs -  Sound crisp and detailed. (same as previous track)
  4. Stage - Very very large presentation. Unlike AD01 and EX1 (same as previous track)

would take the AD01>xb90ex>EX1.

So a R&B and a Hip Hop track are better listens at least on a flat eq as the other 2 pair have an elevated bass tuning.
The xb90ex should dominate this track but without an eq and an amp it does not. AD01 sounds best.

Crosby Stills Nash & Young - "Helplessly Hoping"

AD01

1. Bass - mostly guitar notes in the bass area and generally not much info here, what is mastered seems fine and no roll off or anything lacking
  2. Mids - sound is nice but appears a bit recessed. I listened to this with the EX1 last night so I know what's going to happen here
  3. Highs -  voices are smooth like butter but rolling off
  4. Stage -  Again, the AD01 is close to being compact

EX1

1. Bass - Not much bass in this track and what is there sounds present and nothing seems lacking in lower guitar chords resonance
  2. Mids -  What was in my face on the Earth wind and Fire track is really nice on this track (first track is vinyl rip....hmmmmmm)
  3. Highs -  The vocals sound really awesome which I heard last night. knew this was coming. Very good recording or just a perfect match for these IEM or both
  4. Stage - Not of note. Track not mixed in a way that sounds outdoor stadium. there is a live version but quality is not great for testing

XB90EX

1. Bass - Bass is not prominent in track and sound is not better or worse than other two IEM
  2. Mids -  sound is natural and has no clear recess and not forward. (same as previous track (s))
  3. Highs -  sound is nice but not as pleasing as the EX1
  4. Stage -   This track does sound around your head with these IEM.

would take the EX1>xb90ex>AD01

Guitar and vocal-centric music seems to be the sweet spot for these IEM and I listen to  a lot of that. Jim Croce, Gordon Lightfoot, Neil Young and the like.
The AD01 is an excellent set for rock but the clarity in the mids and detail of guitar plucks and pulls is superior on the EX1.

If I were a Dummy :wink:

The Fletcher Munson curve

If you note the dip at 4Khz and look at the Golden Ear curve it is almost a compensation graph. The bump they are placing is almost exactly where in a relative manner the human ear has an issue.

Assuming that is a pleasant line where the average human ear can hear the most musical information in the most appealing way (Golden Ear curve)...then it doesn't matter if it's your best line. It's mine for this exercise and the other 3 are relative to what I find appealing. I am the black line.

The EX1 are rising into the audible and are not elevated in the sub bass.
The AD01 clearly enter audible elevated with a boosted sub-bass .
The xb90ex are also rising as they require power and eq.
The EX1 have a mid section that is either ideal or it is slightly forward.
The Highs of the EX1 have an airy feeling and seem as though the peak is slightly further up the register.

**click to enlarge**​

EQ me

If I were to EQ the EX1...and I did. I'd raise 35-70Hz with 55Hz as the peak of that bass hill  of +5dB with a cut hard down to 250Hz at -2dB. I would also drop 2k a tad and raise 3-4khz and 8Khz in amounts depending on the genre'.

4U

The reviews on Head-Fi are results in search engine queries. The  # of folks who see these reviews will very often...especially later.. be from non members with little knowledge or care about warm,dry,hot,wet,stage,separation etc.

Some love pictures others love analogies others love videos and on an on.
My review is one view.  It's mine. I like bass and I like mids and I like highs. The sound is kind of airy and thin to me. Fit is not great but that's why god made lots of tips. There are lots of tips in this sets package. I think a set of foam Comply would be a really good idea.

I cannot try 10 songs and keep track honestly in my mind. I can do that with 3.
I chose 2 bass heavy genre' which is not this IEM's strong point but a world tour is underway and a bass lovers input is a slice of the pie

If i were to tip roll and eq which is natural for me it would certainly sound better and it's larger driver and vent modding could eclipse the "fun" of the AD01 in all manner but that is a rabbit hole. Stock, no eq....not my thing but much easier to follow if your a reader/listener.

I will edit and refine the presentation of the review but the general observations will stay. I d not believe in burn in but do believe in brain burn in and don't want that to be a factor.

Many thanks to @Joe Bloggs for letting a bass lover and person in Japan take part.  FiiO should give you a raise. You help make them look very good.

C.R.E.A.M.(y)          4 me  n  U

Gotta  end this with a blast.

If I have one regret it is that I did not see the enormity, the massive power of this review system sooner. It has been used well and abused well.
Credibility is the currency on Head-Fi.  Takes time to build and moments to throw away. Just like in real life. "Joe P. Public" cannot see who is who and even if they could it wouldn't matter if they didn't know exactly what they wanted ....(how many folks know exactly what they want??) ..and to be honest 1/2 the folks doing reviews have not found what they want. End game items mean end of game.  I'd be gone and so would they. 

It's a journey marked by levels of financial investment. Not accurate markings but as good as any.  Are these (FiiO EX1) worth the amount of money at this point along the way? Sure, with a bonus of being backed by a company that will respond to any issue related to the item. I have had my ups and downs with em' but never about value for your money or inquiry and interaction. FiiO is peerless on Head-Fi in that way (10/01/2015)

The big question is...would I rec these to you? I dunno you..so no.  You come back here saying my rec was off and you mess my cream. No way.

Are these good IEM? Yes. Well made and tuned relatively neutral and backed by a solid company. So they are good.  3.5

Sep 26, 2015 at 12:05 PM Post #68 of 161
HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Sep 26, 2015 at 1:50 PM Post #70 of 161
Ok it seems like you guys are still looking for more reviewers and I'm keen :)

-Headphone(s) / earphone(s) you possess:
Currently
AKG K7XX
Beyerdynamic T90 Jubilee
Dunu Titan 1
Aurisonics Rockets
CTM CT-200
AKG K321
Xiami Piston 3.0
Yamaha MT220
Zero Audio Carbo Tenore
Tascam- TH02

(many others previously owned but have been sold)
AudioTechnica ATH-IM70
Shure E4c
Vsonic VSD1S
Vsonic VSD3S
Vsonic GR02BE
Philips Fidelio S1
JVC FXZ100
Sony MH1C
Brainwavz R1
AKG K450
Sennheiser Amperior
Creative- Aurvana Live!
AKG- K271 Mk. II
V-Moda- M100
Philips- Fidelio X1
Ultimate Ears- UE6000

-Any DAP(s) / DAC(s) / amp(s) you may possess
FiiO X3 (gen 1)
Beresford Bushmaster MKII TC7533
Smartphone (Xperia Z2)

-Descriptions and links to review(s) you may have posted:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/679191/impression-yuin-pk3-earbuds-what-kind-of-sorcery-is-this
http://www.head-fi.org/products/dunu-titan-1-titanium-coated-diaphragm-earphones/reviews/12751
http://www.head-fi.org/t/672658/sennheiser-amperior-review

-Your geographical region (e.g. the city and country you live in):
Perth, WA
Australia

-Your native language (and any other languages you may be able to write in)
English / Indonesian

Sep 30, 2015 at 2:02 AM Post #72 of 161
Ever since I've received the tour unit, I've always perceived the EX1 being slightly warmer to the Titan 1 which I tried a few months back.

I had the chance to borrow the Titan 1 this round, and I've been straining my ears over the last few days trying desperately to do a comparison of the Titan 1 vs the EX1 after extensively A/B-ing the two.

IMHO while there might be some slight variations in between the two IEMs, I did not note any major changes in the signature, with both having a detailed and slightly bright signature, with some treble peaks that ever so slightly borders on sibilance. 

I will still be A/B-ing the two to confirm my "findings".

Credits to @earfonia for loaning me his Titan 1 for this comparison.

Sep 30, 2015 at 2:08 AM Post #73 of 161
Am close to wrapping up my tour listening. Will have these off to nmatheis in the next couple of days. Very impressed, to say the least.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back