FiiO E9 Review
Dec 2, 2010 at 1:02 PM Post #301 of 1,324
Thought I'd add in my 2 cents.  Jack from the Micca Store lent me a E7/E9 for a meet a couple of weeks ago and let me hold onto it for a while.  It was a very enjoyable experience and I will reluctantly ship the unit back.

I used the unit as a desktop DAC/amp combo from my computer.  I have a wide variety of music and file types.  I could easily tell which files were overly compressed and which were lossless or MP3s ripped at high bit rates so your source will definitely matter with this amp.  I used the K601 exclusively and it drove the headphones effortlessly.

I also used the preamp function to drive my CTH amp and again it worked flawlessly allowing me to hear the nuances of my various tubes.

I did not try the E7 as a standalone portable so I can't comment on that, but all in all, if you are in the market for an amp/DAC combo with tons of functionality, and a great value to boot, you would not go wrong with a E7/E9 combo.

Dec 3, 2010 at 9:22 AM Post #304 of 1,324
I petition FiiO to change the glowing emblem on the E7 to blue. Right now, there's the blue dot on the E9, blue volume text on the E7's display, and amber top status icons on the E7. Adding red into the mix makes it a bit busy. Anyone else?

Jack 

Dec 3, 2010 at 10:04 AM Post #306 of 1,324
I agree. But I'm also somewhat indifferent, my E7 remains on my E9 so that the red LED is never on to display "charging"
But yes, in the next revision the LED should be dim blue / (white wouldn't be bad either)

Dec 3, 2010 at 10:43 AM Post #307 of 1,324
I don't have a glowing LED, so it makes no diff to me. I actually don't like much in the way of 'lighting' anyway. The less LEDs on my components, the better.

I sorta think the E9 should get a dedicated RCA input. It strikes me odd that it doesn't have one, though it doesn't do anything for me in particular as I would still use the 3.5mm line in (when attaching the E9 to my Mixamp), and I only listen to music off the USB line.

Dec 3, 2010 at 10:49 AM Post #308 of 1,324
I happen to agree I'd prefer less lights and would love an option to disable the charging light in the options menu.

RCA inputs would be awesome... I'm sure I could probably DIY something up though...

Dec 3, 2010 at 12:05 PM Post #310 of 1,324
Really, they're both stereo inputs you can buy a cable that goes from one to the other for, however, it's still a hassle when everything in my setup is RCA based to then have to go buy a cable for it. But eh. I'll fix it myself eventually. I like tweaking things...

Dec 3, 2010 at 12:55 PM Post #311 of 1,324
Yeah it's more of a tiny nitpick. Nothing an RCA female to 3.5mm cable can't fix, though if your source is RCA based, you'll be adding a cable that can potentially degrade SQ a teeny bit just because you added an extra link to the audio chain. That's really only an issue for the most anal of audio purists anyway. That and those who believe that more cables alter sq in a bad way. Cables should be the last thing to worry about anyway, IMHO.

Dec 3, 2010 at 3:16 PM Post #313 of 1,324

Quote:
Does the unit have a switch to change between usb and line-in or do you have to unplug the cable for the source you are not using?

Unfortunately there is not such switch available on the unit. And the priority is given to the 3.5mm line in, so source switch can only be done by plug and unplugs the 3.5mm line in cable. 
frown.gif

Dec 4, 2010 at 9:46 PM Post #314 of 1,324
I've been interested in obtaining the e9 as an e7 owner.

Does daisy chaining bother the SQ at all with this setup to anyone?  I know we have one "no".

I don't know how frequently I will be using the EQ, but it might be nice to add a little bass if needed.  I would appreciate the option at least.

Dec 4, 2010 at 9:54 PM Post #315 of 1,324
Quote:
I've been interested in obtaining the e9 as an e7 owner.

Does daisy chaining bother the SQ at all with this setup to anyone?  I know we have one "no".

I don't know how frequently I will be using the EQ, but it might be nice to add a little bass if needed.  I would appreciate the option at least.

The difference is very small; the pros heavily outweigh the cons if the bass EQ is needed. All it is really is a 'less than ideal' setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back