FiiO E9 Review
Nov 27, 2010 at 7:32 AM Post #244 of 1,324
My E7's protective film has no scratches or blemishes on it and is completely invisible unless you angle it towards light and see the reflection. I will probably never take it off.
beyersmile.png

Nov 27, 2010 at 8:50 AM Post #245 of 1,324
Yea, the E7 has a mirror front surface. And I don't mean mirror like the data side of a DVD disk, but a perfectly reflective mirror.

I know FiiO is going to be selling a screen protector for the E7, I hope it maintains the shiny look of the device. That way, people can remove the protective film and install the screen protector in its place.

Jack

Nov 27, 2010 at 11:41 PM Post #248 of 1,324
Hi there,

anyone here who drives this: Cowon D2 - FiiO E9 - Beyerdynamic DT 990 or 770 Pro?
I'm looking forward to buying the E9 for that sound chain. Thing is, my 990 pro sound very well on the D2 without headamp, but sucking with 250 ohms they virtually eat battery life ... Now I think about getting the E9 to do the amping and leave the D2 on volume level around 5-10/50 instead of 35-40/50 to save battery. What do you think, could this work?
Another thing is the well known bass rolloff of the D2 with lower impedance phones. DT 990 deliver very good deep bass from D2, do you think the E9 would deliver the same? I have no idea on how the impedance of E9 would influence the sound sig of D2 compared to it being driven without headamp but higher volume level.

Any advice? Thanks very much guys :wink: !!!

Nov 27, 2010 at 11:49 PM Post #249 of 1,324
Are you talking about the E9 or E7? I ask because you mentioned battery life which would make me assume you are using this on the go. If that's the case you won't be able to use the E9 as it requires being plugged into a wall.

Also, regardless of which you meant, you do not want to use your headphone out to go into an amp. Does your Cowon have a line-out or is there some sort of line out cable available for it? Double-amping will add noise/distortion, and if you HAD to double amp then you would not want low volume, but near or at 100% volume and control the volume with the amp and not the source.

Nov 28, 2010 at 10:06 AM Post #250 of 1,324
Thanks Riku, I mean e9 and only for stationary listening at home. With battery life I'd like to spare I refer to cowon D2's battery.
Unfortunately the d2 has no line out option, that's why I have to use the phone out.

Do I read you right: you recommend to set D2 volume to it's max for using it with an amp like e9? In this case there would be no need for buying an amp at all to save d2's battery ... I just hoped to keep volume low on D2 and let the fiio do the amping since it's supposed to be a very strong amp.

Greets!

Nov 28, 2010 at 12:34 PM Post #251 of 1,324
The general rule of thumb is when multiple volume controls are involved is to have everything at max volume and except for the last part of the audio chain to keep the signal from degrading.

Nov 28, 2010 at 3:23 PM Post #253 of 1,324
are the second batch of E9's available for purchase or not yet?

Nov 28, 2010 at 4:50 PM Post #255 of 1,324
To answer a few questions:

Either the E9 or E7 will be able to "cure" the D2's low frequency roll off issue. Their input impedances are sufficiently high.

Even at max volume, the D2 will not be expending as much power driving a E7/E9 as a pair of headphones due to the high input impedance of the E7/E9. You can try this: 

1. Measure the amount of time the D2 can be used with volume at max driving the DT990
2. Measure the same with the D2 at max volume but no headphones connected
3. Measure the same with the D2 at max volume but into the input of a receiver

The times for 2 and 3 should be similar, and both should be longer than 1. 

The output impedance of the E7/E9 are less than 1ohm, I heard it was less than or equal to 0.2 ohms. The 3.5mm output jack of the E9 has a 33ohm series resistor for attenuation. 

Lastly, the second batch is not available yet. The only difference for the US version is that the second batch will have the white marking on the volume dial.

Jack

Users who are viewing this thread

Back