FiiO E9 Review
Dec 6, 2010 at 7:02 PM Post #331 of 1,324

Quote:
I just got a text from UPS that my E7/E9 was left on the front porch :frowning2:. My girlfriend does not get home until 6 so let's hope it doesn't rain.

Also I have another question that I posted in the E7 thread since it is related more to the DAC but maybe you guys can answer here. I bought the special edition Beatles Remasters that comes in a USB drive with 24bit FLAC files and 320k mp3. Since the E7 can only do 16bit am I going to get no sound when trying to play the 24bit FLAC files? I have been using my stereo receiver which does 24/192 optical from my PC so I did not think about it until now. 

They'll play, but you won't be utilizing the hit bit rate of the FLAC files.  The FLAC and 320kps will most likely sound comparable.  As much as it makes me cringe to suggest daisy chaining (my background comes from larger scale electronics), if you do have a PC sound card which does 24bit (a surprising number of computers in the last couple years have them) I bet running a 3.5mm male-male to the 3.5 input on the e9 from your headphone out will produce better results with the FLAC, but probably not as much with the 320kps.  You won't need the e7 docked for this if you wish because you won't be running DAC.  I plan on tinkering with this with when I finally pull the trigger on an e9 later this month.  Maybe I'll post something short for the community.

I also recommend playing with the volume outputs on each "amp" if you do this to find the optimal listening experience.  My guess is you want the e9 doing most of the work, depending on your setup.

Dec 6, 2010 at 11:35 PM Post #332 of 1,324
I just got everything hooked up and the red light on the E7 is on while docked which means it is being charged but when I go fire up the E7 it will turn off as soon as I power it up. Is the internal battery of the E7 just fully depleted and needs a charge before I can fire it up even though it is docked or is my unit defective?'

Edit: left the unit alone for about 20 minutes and the E7 fired right up so I guess it just needed some juice in the battery. So far have only been listening for about an hour but I will say this little amp has gobs of power. At the 10 o'clock mark it is insanely loud.

Dec 7, 2010 at 3:29 AM Post #333 of 1,324
Got e7/e9 today, did a quick a/b with my D4 before I mailed it off, e9 seems to have a (much) better soundstage, but is it just me or is it a bit muddy. Maybe it needs burn in.

Dec 7, 2010 at 3:53 AM Post #335 of 1,324
The separation is quite a bit wider and has a "little" bit of depth (vs. none at all before). The mudiness is hard to explain, I can't pinpoint the range that's muddy, I think the mid is more separated and toned down vs. my D4 and that might have something to do with it. I tend to focus on vocal when I listen.

Quote:
Never experienced any muddiness on my E9. I blame the recording/headphones. The E9 shouldn't have any difference in soundstage except in regards to separation.

Dec 7, 2010 at 1:04 PM Post #336 of 1,324

Quote:
Never experienced any muddiness on my E9. I blame the recording/headphones. The E9 shouldn't have any difference in soundstage except in regards to separation.

This. Perhaps the D4 was coloring the headphones in a way he liked, but the E9 is transparent, and if he has muddy/too smooth headphones, the E9 won't hide it. I had the ES7 myself, and the the prominent low end could sometimes make the details smoother than I'd like. The treble was always on the bright side though.

Dec 7, 2010 at 1:37 PM Post #337 of 1,324

It has on the HD600, but I think it might have been the (relatively) recessed mids.
Quote:
Quote:

This. Perhaps the D4 was coloring the headphones in a way he liked, but the E9 is transparent, and if he has muddy/too smooth headphones, the E9 won't hide it. I had the ES7 myself, and the the prominent low end could sometimes make the details smoother than I'd like. The treble was always on the bright side though.

Dec 7, 2010 at 1:41 PM Post #338 of 1,324
Yeah, you really can't blame the E9, as it doesn't add or take away anything. It just feeds the headphone/source the power they need to function properly. Perhaps a colored amp would benefit you more.

Dec 7, 2010 at 9:03 PM Post #339 of 1,324
Hey Mad you have a pair of AKG K701's right? How are they on the E9? My DT770 have a huge bump in the top end and with the E9 being such a neutral amp the highs can get pretty uncomfortable at a higher volume. The K701 measures a lot more linear throughout the frequency range so I am thinking they might be what I am looking for.

Dec 7, 2010 at 9:50 PM Post #340 of 1,324
I HAD the K701. I didn't particularly liked them for music with or without the E9, so I'm not the best person to ask. I did love them for Mixamp gaming though.

Dec 7, 2010 at 10:18 PM Post #342 of 1,324
I've got some K702's :)  Everything sounds great. Highs sound fantastic to me

Dec 7, 2010 at 10:19 PM Post #343 of 1,324
E9 Problem / Annoyance:
When I adjust volume on the potentiometer, I hear static from 9:00 to 3:00. It's kind of annoying. Does anyone else have this problem?

Dec 8, 2010 at 9:17 AM Post #344 of 1,324

Quote:
E9 Problem / Annoyance:
When I adjust volume on the potentiometer, I hear static from 9:00 to 3:00. It's kind of annoying. Does anyone else have this problem?

I hear it in my pre-production engineering sample, but I thought it was just an issue with the POT in my example. Also, this should not affect the normal sound quality of the amp as the noise is generated by the contact wipers in the pot sliding across the carbon deposit tracks - which doesn't occur when you are just listening to it.

Jack

Users who are viewing this thread

Back