Fiio E7: Worth the investment?
Dec 30, 2011 at 11:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Nightowl217

100+ Head-Fier
I've recently been looking into getting an upgrade from the little THX usb dongle i've been using for a bit, and i've heard good things about the Fiio, and i was wondering... Is it worth the $90?
Thanks!
-NOwl

Dec 31, 2011 at 12:52 AM Post #2 of 14
IMO no.

In head-fi's opinion yes.

If you are running terrible on board that produces a lot of unnecessary noise it's worth the investment. I don't hear any massive sound quality improvements however.

If you do order one. Make sure you can return it if you are unsatisfied.

Dec 31, 2011 at 1:15 AM Post #3 of 14
Quote:
IMO no.

In head-fi's username cifani090's opinion yes no.

If you are running terrible on board that produces a lot of unnecessary noise it's worth the investment. I don't hear any massive sound quality improvements however.

If you do order one. Make sure you can return it if you are unsatisfied.

IMO it's not a good deal, piece its a piece of crap and will fall apart. Made in China out of .00002 mm steel,  compare it to a 1/3 inch Woo headphone amp, there is no comparison. So i ask myself (not theoretically), "why did i waste $90?" "Ohh, because its a "headphone amplifier" and im a bass head and i really need that new bass bump"

Dec 31, 2011 at 1:33 AM Post #4 of 14

Quote:
IMO it's not a good deal, piece its a piece of crap and will fall apart. Made in China out of .00002 mm steel,  compare it to a 1/3 inch Woo headphone amp, there is no comparison. So i ask myself (not theoretically), "why did i waste $90?" "Ohh, because its a "headphone amplifier" and im a bass head and i really need that new bass bump"

Aside from flimsy audio inputs the chasis is very solid. I have no idea what you're talking about.

Dec 31, 2011 at 1:35 AM Post #5 of 14

Quote:
Aside from flimsy audio inputs the chasis is very solid. I have no idea what you're talking about.

My unit was actually very sturdy. It was also the older version so not sure if that could have anything to do with it. I found it to improve my audio when I first started. But once I upgraded to the UHA4 is just collected dust, so I sold it. For a beginning headfier its well worth it, unless you can add a bit more to your budget and skip having to upgrade later... (UHA4).

Dec 31, 2011 at 10:32 AM Post #6 of 14
I have a launch day E7 and I abuse it almost daily. It works wonderfully to this day, with no build issues whatsoever.

Anyone expecting to hear BIG differences from anything that isn't a direct change of headphones, is a fool. There is sheer hyperbole here on Head-fi, but subtle differences and improvements can be expected. Subtle here tends to be misconstrued as MAJOR.

If you have a decent soundcard and headphone out that isn't causing major distortions, then yes, the changes won't be anything but slight and subtle going to the E7. The E7 is a decent DAc that gives you a clean signal to your headphones. What the hell else do you expect? Again, the most improvements you will ever get is going from one headphone to another. Everything else will change the sound in minor but good ways, especially if you've been in this game long enough to appreciate the slight percentages of improvements.

All that being said, I'd hold out for the Fiio Alpen (formerly known as E17) as the DAC/AMP to get in the sub $200 range.

Dec 31, 2011 at 10:37 AM Post #7 of 14
lol Who are you directing that comment to? Not sure if its me, but I don't think I said anything to offend.

Quote:
I have a launch day E7 and I abuse it almost daily. It works wonderfully to this day, with no build issues whatsoever.
Anyone expecting to hear BIG differences from anything that isn't a direct change of headphones, is a fool. There is sheer hyperbole here on Head-fi, but subtle differences and improvements can be expected. Subtle here tends to be misconstrued as MAJOR.
If you have a decent soundcard and headphone out that isn't causing major distortions, then yes, the changes won't be anything but slight and subtle going to the E7. The E7 is a decent DAc that gives you a clean signal to your headphones. What the hell else do you expect? Again, the most improvements you will ever get is going from one headphone to another. Everything else will change the sound in minor but good ways, especially if you've been in this game long enough to appreciate the slight percentages of improvements.

Dec 31, 2011 at 10:47 AM Post #9 of 14
No problem lol. I know what you mean though some times people can over embellish :). Hopefully I don't come off that way but when I feel something sounds good I want the world to know it lol. Speaking of that, the Studio V keeps amazing me. It pairs so ridiculously well with the IE80, its scary.

Dec 31, 2011 at 2:15 PM Post #11 of 14
Thanks for the input guys! I think i should have worded that better though... What i meant is i cant spend more than $100, and was wondering if the E7 was the best for that price range.
Thanks!
-NOwl

Dec 31, 2011 at 9:56 PM Post #13 of 14
If you need a pure portable amp, the Fiio E11 will be better. If you need desktop amp, the E9 would be better. If you need a USB DAC/AMP, the E10 would be better. They are all better than the E7 and cost around $100, more or less.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back