FiiO E7 v Firestone Audio FireyeII v Nuforce Icon mobile?
Feb 2, 2011 at 9:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

redrich2000

Headphoneus Supremus
No one responded in computer audio so I thought I would try here....
Thinking of getting a cheap DAC/amp for my laptop. I will use it into powered speakers watching video and with headphones. I don't want to spend heaps, just want something that will give an improvement on the laptop soundcard with headphone out. Looks like the FiiO E7, Fireye II and Icon mobile all fit the bill for around the same price. So I'm wondering how these compare as DACs and amps? Are there others I should consider in this price range?

At the moment my phones are Sony SA5000 and RE0s. Neither are super hard to drive.

Feb 2, 2011 at 10:06 PM Post #2 of 3
I'm interested in this also.  I'd add the udac-2 to the list.  It seems like it is a pretty good amp for the price.  I have a pair of DT 770 Pros at 250 ohm.  I'm leaning toward the E7 at the moment.  

Feb 3, 2011 at 10:07 AM Post #3 of 3
I've only had owned the Ibasso D2+Boa and currently the Ibasso D4 Mamba. I think both are great little devices. I know the D2 Boa can be found used on the forum for about $100-120. I paid $120 for mine a while back. The D4 Mamba is a little more money, around $150-175 used. I would recommend either one of those DAC/amp combos for an external soundcard. The D4 has dual DACs and the D2 only has one. The D4 has a bit more amp power, being it is driven by a 9V when not using the USB.

check out ibasso.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back