FiiO E6 - story of the tiny amp continues... (w/ review on 1st page)
Aug 11, 2011 at 10:12 PM Post #31 of 611

Quote:
ClieOS, how would this compare to a cmoyBB?

Also, have you paired the E6 with an Xcape IE? I find the IE to be good straight from my Fuze, but it does need fairly high volume.
Hoping something small like an E6 could take the xcape to a higher level. Maybe more bass definition and soundstage (with LOD from Fuze)?

I did a quick A/B with E7 and cmoyBB. I find that the E6 is a tiny tad more revealing and less warm that E7, otherwise they are very similar. As for cmoyBB (on default opa2227), it has a warmer, richer, more expensive layer of soundstage, but other than that, the performance is comparable. I would say E6 is right between E7 and cmoyBB (which I think is already pretty close in performance, though different in flavour). It won't win cmoyBB, but I think the gap is smaller than the price difference between them.

Aug 12, 2011 at 12:29 AM Post #32 of 611
This looks great 
atsmile.gif
 Almost missed this little amp, should work well with my DAP.

Aug 12, 2011 at 1:27 AM Post #35 of 611

Quote:
westone's web site is already showing "AMP'D" versions of their universals, but doesn't say anything about the E6... yet.

If you look at the W2 AMP'D, it says 'Westone E6 amp by FiiO' in the description.

Aug 12, 2011 at 10:09 AM Post #36 of 611
I eagerly await ClieOS's review on this new little amp.

As ClieOS mentioned, this amp was "ready" quite some time ago. In fact, you can see some mention of a E5 replacement in Head-Fi forum history many months ago. This time around FiiO addressed some of the main wishes that people had with the E5: more gain, more EQ choices, and more original aesthetics. I believe the overall ergonomics is a huge step up as well, and the quality of the bundled accessories also received a significant upgrade.

FiiO indicates that the E5 will stick around as they have different plans for the E5 and the E6. While most consumers will probably find it worthwhile to go for the E6, the E5 remains a mature product with a lot of value and market recognition. I am guessing this is kind of like how you can still buy a Sony PS2.

Jack

Aug 13, 2011 at 4:51 AM Post #37 of 611

Quote:
I did a quick A/B with E7 and cmoyBB. I find that the E6 is a tiny tad more revealing and less warm that E7, otherwise they are very similar. As for cmoyBB (on default opa2227), it has a warmer, richer, more expensive layer of soundstage, but other than that, the performance is comparable. I would say E6 is right between E7 and cmoyBB (which I think is already pretty close in performance, though different in flavour). It won't win cmoyBB, but I think the gap is smaller than the price difference between them.

How would you say it compares to SoundMAGIC A10 in terms of clarity? I have found that the E5 didn't bring much to my sources or IEMs but A10 pulled some really nice clear signal out of my iPod.

Aug 13, 2011 at 7:58 AM Post #38 of 611

Quote:
How would you say it compares to SoundMAGIC A10 in terms of clarity? I have found that the E5 didn't bring much to my sources or IEMs but A10 pulled some really nice clear signal out of my iPod.

E6 is more revealing when it comes to micro detail. With A10, you'll get more texture on lower end and body, that's because A10 is inherently a warm sounding amp with a colored FR curve. If you are looking for amp with a warmer, richer tone, cmoyBB with an upgraded opamp is probably the best option for you.

Aug 14, 2011 at 2:42 PM Post #40 of 611
Just a thought for future designs, shape the clip so that it easily clips onto other daps. Back in the day I had an e5 and Sansa Clip and I would just snap the respective clips together and put it in my pocket, but the clips didn't quite line up right so it wasn't as compact as it could be. Just a minor thought. 

Aug 14, 2011 at 11:11 PM Post #42 of 611

Quote:
very nice!
so, have you tried it with some high-impedance like the er4s, re262, pk1? or even the RE0 ?

Yes, I have tried them, just not the PK1 as I haven't used it regularly these days. Overall it pairs better with the warm sounding RE262 than ER4S/RE0 synergy wise, though it is able to drive them all to very loud. With teh colder sounding IEM like ER4S and RE0, I tend to use it with the EQ.

Aug 15, 2011 at 12:14 AM Post #43 of 611

Quote:
Yes, I have tried them, just not the PK1 as I haven't used it regularly these days. Overall it pairs better with the warm sounding RE262 than ER4S/RE0 synergy wise, though it is able to drive them all to very loud. With teh colder sounding IEM like ER4S and RE0, I tend to use it with the EQ.

but i guess, it cant get the 100% out of  them like the E11does, right? but still, sounds much better like the E5

Aug 15, 2011 at 12:34 AM Post #44 of 611

Quote:
but i guess, it cant get the 100% out of  them like the E11does, right? but still, sounds much better like the E5

100% is a tricky word. If it is by pure driving power, no, E6 isn't as powerful as E11. But as good as E11 is, there are still better amp that can drive RE262 / ER4S / etc to higher level.

Aug 15, 2011 at 6:13 AM Post #45 of 611

Quote:

how is the staging of E6 itself? can it really add the soundstage depth of IPod video???(i.e. increasing the presentation of soundstage layer)

Quote:
100% is a tricky word. If it is by pure driving power, no, E6 isn't as powerful as E11. But as good as E11 is, there are still better amp that can drive RE262 / ER4S / etc to higher level.

how is the sound quality of E6 itself compared to E11? is E6 brighter than E11??? because it seems that E11 is too dark for me....

thx~~

Users who are viewing this thread

Back