FiiO E6 - story of the tiny amp continues... (w/ review on 1st page)
Aug 10, 2011 at 12:43 AM Post #16 of 611
Very interested in this. Seems like it would make a kick-ass portable rig alongside my Sansa Clip+.

Aug 10, 2011 at 1:51 AM Post #18 of 611
Aug 10, 2011 at 9:23 AM Post #20 of 611

Quote:
Such a tiny thing cant bring out much power, can it? I had the e5 and it literally didnt change the sound.

That depends how much power you need (* what you are trying to drive) and what your definition of 'change'. FiiO has always aimed for a neutral and transparent sound. If that's not what you want, there are other amps that provide coloration among with power.

Aug 10, 2011 at 10:44 AM Post #22 of 611
ClieOS, what about hiss from E6? Is this amp more suitable for high- efficiency low- impedance IEM's? I find E11 is too loud to listen comfortably on my SM3's. Do You know what is the output impedance of E6?

Aug 10, 2011 at 11:23 AM Post #23 of 611

Quote:
Eh, I think the amp/dac in the Clip+ is already very good. Pairing it with an entry-level amp like the E5/6 might make the set-up worse, no? 

With E5, there isn't much of a point. But with E6, the EQ (especially EQ2) itself is more than worth the admission fee. Plus I didn't find E6 to degrade Clip+ sound. If anything, it makes the headphone-out sounds less compressed.

Quote:
ClieOS, what about hiss from E6? Is this amp more suitable for high- efficiency low- impedance IEM's? I find E11 is too loud to listen comfortably on my SM3's. Do You know what is the output impedance of E6?

I can still hear hiss with the most hiss-prone IEM in my collection, the Shure SE530, but it is a tad lower than on E5. Like on E5, the hiss level increases with volume and it is mostly silent when the volume is below half of the total volume. Assuming the source has decent output, it is almost impossible to listen to SE530 at that high of a volume, so I have no worry there. Don't know how it will be with SM3 though, especially since E11 is totally different to E6 in design.

As for output impedance, I don't know the number nor have any gear to measure it. But I will venture a guess and say it is probably close to E5 and E7 since the amp section should be very similar. That means it will be around 0 to 1 ohm. Well, I'll ask to confirm.

Aug 10, 2011 at 1:33 PM Post #24 of 611
Just got some confirmation:

1) Though the opamps are the same as in E7, the overall structure on the amp section design is different. Now the preamp stage works with +/- power supply to give better performance.

2) The output impedance should be < 1 ohm.

Aug 10, 2011 at 2:48 PM Post #26 of 611
Aug 10, 2011 at 9:52 PM Post #28 of 611

Quote:
Oh, and btw: what's the battery runtime in e6?

The listed spec says over 10 hours. I haven't had the time to test it yet.

Aug 11, 2011 at 7:48 PM Post #29 of 611
ClieOS, how would this compare to a cmoyBB?

Also, have you paired the E6 with an Xcape IE? I find the IE to be good straight from my Fuze, but it does need fairly high volume.
Hoping something small like an E6 could take the xcape to a higher level. Maybe more bass definition and soundstage (with LOD from Fuze)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back