FiiO E5 or FiiO E6 ??
Nov 11, 2011 at 2:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

mps83

New Head-Fier
I've ordered the FiiO E5 to use with my Phonak PFE headphones and my ZuneHD mp3 player. I didn't realise that there was a FiiO E6 available.

My question is.......

Is it worth getting the E6 over the E5 model?

Thanks

P.S Sorry can a mod please move this to the correct forum.

Nov 11, 2011 at 3:10 PM Post #2 of 15
this review does a pretty good job of comapring the 2

http://anythingbutipod.com/2011/10/fiio-e6-portable-headphone-amp-review/

Nov 11, 2011 at 3:46 PM Post #3 of 15

Quote:
this review does a pretty good job of comapring the 2

http://anythingbutipod.com/2011/10/fiio-e6-portable-headphone-amp-review/

Thanks for that mate, althought it's all a bit over my head, i'm new to this portable amp business. Has anyone here have experience with them both? Is there any specific reason i should return my E5 and swap it for an E6?

Nov 11, 2011 at 6:09 PM Post #4 of 15

Quote:
Thanks for that mate, althought it's all a bit over my head, i'm new to this portable amp business. Has anyone here have experience with them both? Is there any specific reason i should return my E5 and swap it for an E6?

i had both before and they are almost the same , i just like the e5 more coz it feel solid whilr e6 feel cheap

Nov 17, 2011 at 2:43 AM Post #6 of 15
I have both the E5 and E6 and I prefer the SQ of the E6. The soundstage feels wider than on the E5 and I get the feeling that instrument separation is a bit better (of course it depends on your source and headphones).
However, I think that the bass boost on the E5 is much better. It feels like bass is boosted more whereas on the E6 it feels like the overall volume is just raised. In this I agree with the review from Anything but iPod.

But with bass boost turned off there is no question - the E6 easily triumphs the E5. If I want bass to be raised, I just EQ my player instead.

I agree with starNdust that the E5 feels more solid with its aluminum casing. The plastic E6 feels more "toyish". Both amps have their strong and weak points. The E5 is by no means a bad sounding amp, so you don't need to switch it for the E6. Since they both are so cheap, you could always get the E6 later and compare them yourself.

Nov 17, 2011 at 5:17 AM Post #7 of 15
I had the opportunity to compare both and I think E6 is better than E5 in terms of SQ (especially E6 reduces hiss, very present in E5 with many IEMs).

IMO It's worthless to get both because they're almost the same amp, I'd swap your E5 for an E6

Jan 29, 2012 at 4:40 PM Post #8 of 15
I don't have the E5, but I find that the E6, used with most decent (i.e. Shure SE215, SE435, Ety HF-5) canal earphones, simply cleans up the iPod amp 'mud' when used with the "line out" cable that pulls off of the dock connector. I don't use the bass-eq functions because I prefer accurate to exaggerated bass (just a personal preference inculcated over decades). But I am very happy with the $20 I spent on the E6. Good luck and good listening!

Sep 10, 2012 at 7:24 AM Post #10 of 15
E6 all day, it has more power and sounds better than the E5.  The E5 sounds strange to me, its not near as good as the E6.  I have the E11 along with the E5 & E6 and I still use the E6 for certain IEM's even though the E11 is better,  EQ setting 2 on the E6 gives the music a fun sound.

Nov 6, 2012 at 11:10 AM Post #12 of 15
If this thread is still alive, I'd love to know whether it is worth getting an E6 if I'm using it with the 3.5 - 3.5 and not line-out as I hate Apple :) Thanks in advance. (Koss Pro DJ100 btw)

Nov 29, 2012 at 3:47 PM Post #13 of 15
I've been looking at them as well. The problem I think I may have with the E6 is the clip. If I travel around a lot, it looks like it will break, or jiggle loose as im going around. Keeping portability/pocket use in mind how does the E5 compare?

Nov 2, 2013 at 2:32 PM Post #15 of 15
Sorry for thread necromancy but didnt want to make a new one for one question. Do ports amps simple increase apparent volume/loudness output or have an effect that enriches the sound quality in a different way

Users who are viewing this thread

Back