FIIO E5 + HIPPO VB
Jun 22, 2010 at 6:19 PM Post #2 of 8

zero7525

100+ Head-Fier
Stop it with the caps is what I should recommend.

Also, no, the Hippo VB does not sound like the RE0
RE0 has more detail, less bass. VB has less detail but more bass

Pick one.

Jun 23, 2010 at 1:16 AM Post #5 of 8

kingpage

1000+ Head-Fier

Quote:
All in all the Hippo VB are like beefier, more “substantial” Head-Direct RE0 with better bass, more or less equal midrange but slightly less refined treble

That didn't sound like they have similar signature. The word "better" would be up for debate as well. (Emphasis from me)

Quote:
....they’re (VB) coming close to achieving sound characteristics similar to my IEMs of choice, like the UE11, SE530, or RE0 – at least, the VB combine many of the positive aspects of these. They’re maybe not exactly as refined sounding as those phones in all aspects, but the gap is rather narrow. They have exceptionally deep, punchy bass response without muddying the rest of the audio spectrum, slightly forward midrange, and decent yet slightly forward treble

He meant VB suits him better because they combine many aspects of other phones so VB are more of a all rounder I think.  Just based on the bass, you can already tell VB is rather warm. And RE0 is analytical and cold (from other reviews). RE0 wouldn't be considered to have just decent treble, rather, treble is right up there with many top-tier phones. Again, based on many reviews that is.

Quote:
The VB sound just about right to my ears.

I think he missed the bass from RE0 like many other disappointed people.

At the end of the day, sound perception is quit personal. And especially when only one guy, not some people. Hope someone with both phones can elaborate more on this. Perhaps, I am over analysing.

Jun 23, 2010 at 1:39 AM Post #6 of 8

JxK

1000+ Head-Fier

Quote:
He meant VB suits him better because they combine many aspects of other phones so VB are more of a all rounder I think.  Just based on the bass, you can already tell VB is rather warm. And RE0 is analytical and cold (from other reviews). RE0 wouldn't be considered to have just decent treble, rather, treble is right up there with many top-tier phones. Again, based on many reviews that is.
Only thing I'll disagree with is that the VB are warm. That's the best part about them. They aren't warm. They're not bright certainly, but they aren't really warm either. The increased bass is all sub-bass, so there's no mid-bass bloat (which accounts for warmth) muddying up the midrange. That's how they manage to retain clarity despite some very impressive sub-bass quantity.

At the end of the day, sound perception is quit personal. And especially when only one guy, not some people. Hope someone with both phones can elaborate more on this. Perhaps, I am over analysing.
Agreed. I'll go so far as to state that for most people sound signature, whether they are aware of it or not, is a far more important determinant of "quality" than any other objective measure.

Jun 23, 2010 at 1:43 AM Post #7 of 8

ClieOS

IEM Reviewer Extraordinaire
To answer the original two questions: First, no VB does not share similar sound signature with RE0. VB is warmer, balanced while RE0 is more neutral, better detail.Second, yes, VB will work well with Clip+ and E5. You probably don't need E5.

Users who are viewing this thread