FiiO e3 amp cellphone signal buzz
Oct 16, 2008 at 11:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

vvaffles

100+ Head-Fier
hey, i tried a serch on the forum i couldnt find a solution for the problem, basically whenever i recieve a call/txt or some 1 close to me with a cell phone i get a terrible buzz noise blasted from my earbuds. I am using Shure se210, is there a solution for this problem?

Oct 16, 2008 at 11:56 PM Post #2 of 17
Yes. Keep your amp as far from your phone as is reasonable possible. If it's still bad, perhaps you can wrap the the amp in ERS paper or something, since a faraday cage isn't really usable for portable applications.

Oct 17, 2008 at 12:38 AM Post #3 of 17
My Definitive Technology Sub Woofer buzzes just before I get a call on my cell phone if is within a few feet. It's just the nature of the beast.

Oct 17, 2008 at 1:57 AM Post #4 of 17
Just whatever you do, don't put a playing 5G/5.5G iPod with your cell phone; the wheel isn't shielded, so the damn volume goes freakin' HAYWIRE when a call comes through.

Oct 17, 2008 at 2:05 AM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just whatever you do, don't put a playing 5G/5.5G iPod with your cell phone; the wheel isn't shielded, so the damn volume goes freakin' HAYWIRE when a call comes through.

Quoted... Because Wow, I didn't know that. Good to remember.

Oct 17, 2008 at 2:08 AM Post #6 of 17
lol i am really screwed then, i use iphone for music, srry i forgot to mention

Oct 17, 2008 at 2:10 AM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Planar_head /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quoted... Because Wow, I didn't know that. Good to remember.

Indeed, my friend discovered this the hard way a few years ago on the way to school.
tongue.gif

The reason is that for those iPod models (I'm not sure about the Classic), Apple decided to make their own click wheels because of production costs or something, and it seems they overlooked that small necessity.
rolleyes.gif

Oct 17, 2008 at 8:57 PM Post #8 of 17
Some electronics are prone to this whereas others are not. My audio stuff is prone to it but strangely my 1967 Telefunken Bajazzo TS 201 radio doesn't really give a care if 15 cell phones are ringing next to it.

Just keep your cell phone a reasonable distance away from your equipment and everything will be fine.

Oct 17, 2008 at 9:58 PM Post #9 of 17
It's just a shielding issue. If the device is adequately shielded, this won't be an issue. If it is not, then it will be.

This is true for headphones as well as amps. My Blackberry drives my Sennheiser PXC350's nuts if the cord is near it. But move the cord just a few inches away, and all is well.

Oct 18, 2008 at 12:20 AM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have never had that happen with my 5.5 and samsung cell phone.

Oct 20, 2008 at 5:52 PM Post #11 of 17
mm i am gona give a try to those ers paper, where can i get a sheet of this stuff for cheap?

Oct 20, 2008 at 8:37 PM Post #12 of 17
Once heard a case where someone's phono section in their receiver was picking up AM radio so loud it drowned out any album which was playing. Turns out the guy lived like a quarter of a mile away from one of the highest power AM transmitters in the county.

Shielding is the key here, as others have mentioned. Generally, the more you pay for a piece of gear, the better shielded its low-level/susceptible circuits will be. When I still used a cell phone, I couldn't use it near my TV since the picture and sound would totally flip out. The signal gets amplified by the amplifiers and weird interference patterns shine through.

For portable, well thats a tough one since everyone and their momma has a cell phone (or two) in public.

Mar 2, 2009 at 8:07 AM Post #13 of 17
I'm often using my ibasso D10 (being fed by an optical signal form a h140) on the train and I can hear the clicks of cellphones every other second, which is quite annoying.

Do you think it is the amp picking up the signal or the headphone cable that acts as a recieving antenna? Would using shielded cables help? (I am using an ER6i and soon an audéo; any hints on good, light, non-microphonic and shielded cables?)

Mar 2, 2009 at 12:16 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by ElEsido /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm often using my ibasso D10 (being fed by an optical signal form a h140) on the train and I can hear the clicks of cellphones every other second, which is quite annoying.

Do you think it is the amp picking up the signal or the headphone cable that acts as a recieving antenna? Would using shielded cables help? (I am using an ER6i and soon an audéo; any hints on good, light, non-microphonic and shielded cables?)

It's annoying as hell. I'm pretty sure the amp is picking up the RF from the cell phones, not 100% sure though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back