FiiO E18: does your smartphone work with it for USB Audio? Tell us about it here and we will award you 10 internets!
Aug 24, 2014 at 12:43 AM Post #76 of 136
I have Nexus 7 (both original and 2013 versions). Both work using UAPP.

Nov 6, 2014 at 9:04 PM Post #79 of 136
Anyone know if the e18 works with the HTC Desire 816?

Nov 7, 2014 at 4:05 PM Post #80 of 136
I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and the E18 works great. I have used it through USB with UAPP, Neutron, and Samsung's Milk Music streaming player. I think I prefer Neutron over UAPP because UAPP is very picky about when the DAC is connected and requires the phone to be restarted if you pull the USB cable before closing the app. Overall, I am very pleased with the E18. I just wish I could find an easy way to carry them together. I hate rubber bands across of the front of that 5.7" screen.

Nov 10, 2014 at 8:23 AM Post #81 of 136
Hi.. new guy here.. just dropped by to tell that I tried the E18 with my LG G3 when I stopped by our friendly audiophile store, and everything worked perfectly.. even the staff was surprised.. :D

Nov 11, 2014 at 6:20 AM Post #82 of 136
Tested E18 on Kitkat 4.4.4 back-to-n00t rom ported by arter97 for I9300 Galaxy S3. Works flawlessly :wink:

Nov 18, 2014 at 4:51 AM Post #84 of 136
I can get it to work with my HTC 816 but it was challenging. My E18 came with 2, 2" micro usb cables, 1 one barley worked it made my phone unstable, and the other worked better , Im not sure what the difference are. The second thing is the stock music app and Poweramp are unstable even when the Buffer size and Audio Priority Thread is set to max. Finally Onlyo HF Player works really well, its really stable, so its my player of choice.

Nov 29, 2014 at 1:36 PM Post #86 of 136
I have e18 working with nexus 5 5.0. I can confirm that google music app and musixmatch app works fine. no need for UAPP. I think the output is only 16/44.1 as when i use dragonfly, it glows in blue.

However, there is an issue with e18. The dragonfly dont have this problem. Whenever i use the e18 with nexus 5, there is a bug where i can't lock the screen with e18 plug in. The screen will stay on forever. If i want the screen to turn off after a period of time, i need to restart the e18 while the phone screen is turn on. This is a huge bug that renders it useless as portable dac as it will drain the battery very fast.

It's still a good dac. i reckon it's better than dragonfly 1.2 and much higher gain. too much gain for portable use actually. 

Dec 6, 2014 at 10:30 AM Post #88 of 136
Moto G XT1033 not working well With KitKat 4.4.4 and Lollipop 5.0 Motorola Soak Test (the kernel is the same, 3.4.42). I have the same issues in both:

1 - After plug the OTG cable the lockscreen from lateral button do not work. The screen locks only after time out;
2 - After start an playback with PowerAmp or soundcloud the playlist stops, after first music ends. Neutron completly muted!
3 - During about 30 seconds after connect OTG cable, many Sound Clicks and Stuttering occur and, if poweramp is open my playlist is forwarded about 5 or 10 musics. Many times an entire album is changed to another;

So, maybe will go to CM11 or wait for CM12 stable.

Dec 7, 2014 at 2:21 AM Post #89 of 136
So does this definitively work with a Galaxy S5? I'm considering an E18.

Dec 8, 2014 at 1:47 PM Post #90 of 136
Hi there, I'm Joseph Yeung, an official customer service representative for FiiO now. *waves*

Right now, on our official website's product page for the E18 we have a compatibility list of smartphones supported by the E18 for USB Audio.  Only problem: there's a grand total of just 18 smartphones listed.

*Works with E18 using USB Audio Recorder Pro as music player.  Trial version download:
http://fiio.net/UploadFiles/main/Files/2013/11/20131111111354.zip
**Galaxy S4 works without requiring USB Audio Recorder Pro after OS is updated to Android 4.3 or above.

This belies the fact that the E18 was designed from the ground up to be the most android-compatible USB DAC ever.  Its USB driver was carefully written to provide maximum plug-and-play compatibility and crucially, it does not draw any power from the smartphone when working as a USB DAC. (thus avoiding any incompatibility caused by current supply issues and extending the smartphone's battery life)

The E18 *should* be compatible with a lot more than 10 smartphones out there.  Unfortunately, we don't have the budget to buy every smartphone out there and send them to FiiO labs for testing...

Did you try out the E18 at a store with your smartphone not listed here?  Did it work?  Or are you *gasp* a brave soul who bought the E18 on the hunch that it would work with your smartphone not listed here?  Did that work out for you?  Tell us about your experience here, whether it's positive or negative, and we'll be very grateful to you for helping us fill out our compatible models database!

I know there are a lot of threads on the E18 already, so to make up for spewing out yet another one, I will collate all compatibility tips / issues / advice on the E18 pairing with smartphones as they become available and add them to this opening post :)  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back