Fiio e17k/e09k setup to replace Nuforce udac-3?
May 24, 2014 at 10:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

br34kb34t

New Head-Fier
I'm currently using a Nuforce udac-3 but I'm thinking of switching to something that can be used as both a desktop dac/amp and a portable amp. I've been reading about the Fiio e17k/e09k pairing and this sounds like something that might work well for my needs. I'm wondering if anyone out there has used these products (the udac-3 and the e17/e09 combo) and if you can give me a roundup of your thoughts. I'm using a pair of V-Moda m100s listening to a variety of music files, but only listening to EDM - mainly trance and house with some dub step thrown in. My portable device is a Samsung GS4 but I also have an iPod Touch....although I don't use it often. Are there any issues using the e17k with an android device with an OTG cable? Is aux my best bet? I've watched a lot of reviews on the e17k and e09k pairing, but I'm wondering what the head-fi'ers of the world think of this combo. Is the amp in the e09k better than the amp in the e17k, hence the pairing? I'm thinking of ordering the e17k first and deciding on the e09k later.

While we're at it - what other portable dac/amp devices would you recommend? Because I listen to EDM, I like to idea of having bass controls and the m100s can certainly handle the added boom. Most of my listening is done at a computer, but having the option of connecting my phone or iPod Touch is high on the list.

Thanks!!

May 24, 2014 at 12:37 PM Post #2 of 5
The M100s are not difficult to drive. I don't think you will get a lot of benefit over the E17 with adding the E09K into the mix.

Yes. There have been issues with using the E17 with many Android devices. I have no idea about your phone.

Consider the E18. It is designed to work well with Android: http://www.head-fi.org/t/685414/preview-fiio-e18-kunlun-surprise-surprise

Or, the FiiO X3. It has the same dac/headphone amp hardware as the E17, it can be used as a USB DAC with your computer (so total replacement for the E17), and would give you a DAP to carry instead of just a headphone amp, so no need to hook up to your phone.

May 24, 2014 at 2:38 PM Post #3 of 5
The M100s are not difficult to drive. I don't think you will get a lot of benefit over the E17 with adding the E09K into the mix.

Yes. There have been issues with using the E17 with many Android devices. I have no idea about your phone.

Consider the E18. It is designed to work well with Android: http://www.head-fi.org/t/685414/preview-fiio-e18-kunlun-surprise-surprise

Or, the FiiO X3. It has the same dac/headphone amp hardware as the E17, it can be used as a USB DAC with your computer (so total replacement for the E17), and would give you a DAP to carry instead of just a headphone amp, so no need to hook up to your phone.

Thanks for the info. I started looking into the e18 as well, which also looks like a great little device - possibly more what I'm looking for. I read that the e18 will support YouTube on an Android device, but do you know if it supports a wide range of other applications? I sometimes use the SoundCloud app, or Spotify, and I'm not sure if those will be supported.

May 24, 2014 at 3:24 PM Post #4 of 5
When you hook a DAC up to an Android phone that works properly with it (the E17 does not with some phones), ALL sound then is processed by the DAC instead of the internal DAC. So definitely. Anything you listen to will work with it. :)

May 24, 2014 at 4:20 PM Post #5 of 5
When you hook a DAC up to an Android phone that works properly with it (the E17 does not with some phones), ALL sound then is processed by the DAC instead of the internal DAC. So definitely. Anything you listen to will work with it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Awesome, good to know!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back