FiiO E17K Alpen 2 vs iBasso D-Zero MK2
Jan 31, 2015 at 2:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Progreacja

New Head-Fier
So both devices seem to be similar. Multipurpose USB DAC and headphone amp.. 

It is hard for me to figure out which one is better.

I am wondering which one is more reliable and most important, which one will be more compatible with various PCs and other devices... 

Maybe somebody tested  both? Or somebody can say something about which one is better by just looking at specs..
wink.gif

FiiO E17K Alpen 2 thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/747491/fiio-e17k-alpen-2-announced-23-12-2014

iBasso D-Zero MK2

http://www.head-fi.org/t/741541/new-ibasso-d-zero-mk2

Jan 31, 2015 at 6:14 PM Post #2 of 13
I think either is a good product. The E17K has a few more features, like the ability to accept input from a coax digital jack and the ability to be mated with the E09K dock. Those features might not be important to you. They use different DAC & amp chips, but both are good.

Feb 1, 2015 at 6:31 AM Post #3 of 13
I think either is a good product. The E17K has a few more features, like the ability to accept input from a coax digital jack and the ability to be mated with the E09K dock. Those features might not be important to you. They use different DAC & amp chips, but both are good.

So should I just assume that both sound good and the decision I should make only base on the additional features: if I need them or not?

Feb 9, 2015 at 2:40 PM Post #6 of 13
Here is a comparison of the amplifiers in the JDS Labs C5 and the older E17 (not the K) and older D-Zero (MK1): http://www.head-fi.org/t/620775/the-sub-200-portable-amps-shootout-13-11-amps-compared. Rankings follow the reviews.

I'd probably go with the C5D.

Feb 9, 2015 at 2:49 PM Post #10 of 13
Hmm, but I know that both the E17k and the MK1 got extremely updated. So I'm just wondering if they compare with the C5D.

What does that mean? I'm not trying to give you a hard time, but there's always hype when there is a new version of a device. And sometimes updated versions are less about improving audio quality (not saying that they don't, just how much) and more about different sourcing of components.

Best you can do is search those threads for each of the three models and see if a number of people have commented on the SQ in comparison to one or the others you are interested in.

That being said, iBasso, FiiO, and JDS Labs always seem very well priced in terms of price/performance value. It's hard for me to imagine that the E17K and D-Zero MK2 are as good as the C5D, given the dramatic difference in price. But that's just me :)

Feb 9, 2015 at 3:19 PM Post #11 of 13
On the other hand, you also have to consider that Fiio & iBasso are based in Asia, while JDS Labs is based in the US. That could also account for at least some of the difference in price (and possibly also in support).

Apr 19, 2015 at 3:32 AM Post #12 of 13
Well, according to the Schiit saga, it IS possible to find competitive prices for manufacturing within the states, so that isn't necessarily a factor, they probably wouldn't stay above water if their products weren't competitively priced. So the C5D costing nearly twice as much as the MKII or the Alpen 2 bodes well for the C5D's comparative SQ.

With regards to customer service, my experience with all 3 companies is excellent. Quick (1-3 days) and to the point responses, albeit to minor quibbles. (JDS about the ODAC, iBasso about the DX50 and FiiO about the E18).

If the C5D is out of your price range, I would probably go with the features you need or design you prefer if you can't get a sample listen anywhere. The chances of you being let down are slim, as are the chances of you discovering that you in fact prefer the sound signature of the one you didn't get.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back