Fiio e17 crashing windows 8.1
Apr 24, 2015 at 10:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

pickleweed

Head-Fier
So I know I'm not alone in this but I've yet to see a solution for it. I've been using my fiio fine for several years with my windows 7 machine. My new machine is unfortunately now windows 8.1 and nothing but again in my ass. Plug in the e17 via usb and it will eventually hard crash. Has anyone figured a solution to the blue screens? I've deleted the drivers, updated them....crash crash crash. I swapped USB ports, and it doesn't crash, but it stops outputting to spdif after random intervals of time. Better outcome but still renders it unuseable. I don't want to buy a new dac and amp over this. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Apr 24, 2015 at 11:20 PM Post #2 of 4
If your PC has USB 3.0 ports, you might need to update either the USB driver in BIOS or the whole BIOS as early USB 3.0 driver is known to crash when used with USB DAC.

The stopping of S/PDIF is more likely because Windows is trying to save power and put the E17 to sleep mode, which will break off the USB connection. You can disable it in the power setting.

Apr 25, 2015 at 12:06 AM Post #3 of 4
If your PC has USB 3.0 ports, you might need to update either the USB driver in BIOS or the whole BIOS as early USB 3.0 driver is known to crash when used with USB DAC.

The stopping of S/PDIF is more likely because Windows is trying to save power and put the E17 to sleep mode, which will break off the USB connection. You can disable it in the power setting.

Thanks so much. I'll give these a shot and report back.

Apr 25, 2015 at 4:49 PM Post #4 of 4
Also, the Fiio drivers are not perfect by any means. I've seen some hard crashes and really weird errors in Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 across USB2 and USB3. Even if you setup your PC not to suspend USB power don't be surprised if you keep having BSoDs, weird sounds, or no audio at all. Make sure that you don't have any audio playing or any applications controlling your audio device when you are switching to the Fiio in your playback devices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back