Fiio e12 or other for Senn HD650?
Dec 25, 2014 at 1:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Connahhh

New Head-Fier
Hey guys!

I'm eventually going to buy a Bottlehead Crack for these phones, but I also want something portable that will hold me over until I have the funds. I will likely end up with either a Modi or E17k DAC, so amp only. I'm just looking for a good sounding, under $200 amp that will drive these high impedance phones.

Is the e12 a good choice or should I look elsewhere?

Thanks!

Dec 25, 2014 at 11:41 PM Post #2 of 5
Hey guys!

I'm eventually going to buy a Bottlehead Crack for these phones, but I also want something portable that will hold me over until I have the funds. I will likely end up with either a Modi or E17k DAC, so amp only. I'm just looking for a good sounding, under $200 dac that will drive these high impedance phones.

Is the e12 a good choice or should I look elsewhere?

Thanks!

I would really find a place to demo the BC before just outright buying it. Many newcommers to the field may find themselves dissapoitned if such equipment(amp/DAC) doesn't turn their bread into wine miraculously. 

A DAC doesn't drive headphones. The amp does it however some DACs have pre amps right after that may give it enough oomph for cans. 

The E12 is not a DAC. It is an amp.

Your post is all over the place. You start by naming the two DACs (one of which also is an amp) and then notes that you want an amp.But then you say you want a sub $200 DAC before naming an amp?

For $200, I would say you can do better. I've heard the HD 600/650 and the E12 but never together. If you are thinking of getting a Modi, then why not the Magni2? 

Your device selection is also all over the place. The E12 and E17/K are portable devices (that can also function as desktop ones). But because they are portable, some of your buck is being lost in that convenience.

Unless you have other needs/considerations, with an HD 650 you are looking towards full desktop dedicated rigs. The Magni and Modi are popular combos in this range. So are the Objective 2 desktop version and ODAC or even a complimentary Stoner UD series DAC.

You could also look at Audio-gd NFB units.

Dec 27, 2014 at 1:01 PM Post #3 of 5
^^ Hey, be nice to the guy. He doesn't quite have the experience that you do.
wink.gif
 And yes, his post needed a little clarification but let's spread a little holiday cheer.
biggrin.gif

I'm actually in the market for something similar on a portable rig to power my hd650.  BTW Bowei, I bought the x1 based on your selection as product of the year. I'm looking for big things from it!!

Dec 27, 2014 at 5:31 PM Post #4 of 5
  ^^ Hey, be nice to the guy. He doesn't quite have the experience that you do.
wink.gif
 And yes, his post needed a little clarification but let's spread a little holiday cheer.
biggrin.gif

I'm actually in the market for something similar on a portable rig to power my hd650.  BTW Bowei, I bought the x1 based on your selection as product of the year. I'm looking for big things from it!!

Hey Matt. Yeah, I wasn't really laying it on him or anything. I guess the lack of emoticons may make it seem so. But no way was it that way.

It was just that it seemed like he knew what the terms were (DAC and amp) but just interchange them partway through as to what he 'wants'. 

Nice and thanks for reading Matt! 
gs1000.gif

It's a nice thingy mabob for $100. My formal review is currently in the stack to be pubished. It doesn't have full audiophile sound by any means, but it has a nice feature set, options, and 128GB ability at $100

Dec 27, 2014 at 5:41 PM Post #5 of 5
Thanks for the reply. I'm not looking for flagship quality. Mostly this will be an occasional rig for me when I travel. I thought the Op and I were looking for something similar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back