FiiO E11K &A3 Portable Amplifier Info/News Thread (Early Impressions)
Feb 10, 2015 at 9:49 AM Post #514 of 718
Hi. 

I am looking for enhancing the bass and want to improve its quality for a pair of Sennheiser HD 518. As source I use a Xonar DX sound card or a Sherwood stereo amp.

For now I am not very happy with HD518. And especially with low frequencies, for example, when I listen to a cello the low sound gets somehow muddy and mids overlaps with lows. And the sub-bass is really missing.

Do you think E11K will improve the sound and resolve the above issues? 

Feb 18, 2015 at 8:19 PM Post #516 of 718
I went on on a brief trip the other day and decided to take my Nuforce NE700X in-ear's (instead of my Beyerdynamic DT1350's). Mistake. Even on low gain, the E11K was too much for these IEM's. Distorted, unclear, yuck. When plugged directly into my iPod classic they sounded fine. Lesson learned, never leave home without the DT1350's. The trio of iPod Classic, E11K & DT1350 is a truly satisfying portable music system...and love the massive music library (@ 16/44.1) the Classic's 160G gives me.

Update on my earlier post...took my DT1350's with me on yet another trip and couldn't believe the tremendous sub bass I was hearing.  I checked my E11K's settings and noticed that the BASS setting was switched to HI.  My portable rig seriously rocked!!  Keeping it set this way.

Feb 20, 2015 at 6:23 PM Post #517 of 718
Hello everyone! I wish to help choose between two amplifiers: e11k and jds labs c5. I know there is a significant price difference, but i want to know if the sound and other characteristics of c5 justifies its price of almost 3 times the e11k. I plan to use the amplifier with the Fiio x1 and Momentum On Ear, and then i think buying a headphone for home use as the ath ad1000x/a1000x or dt770 80ohm or fidelio x2, that have not yet decided. But my priority for now is to have a decent source (dap + amp).

Waiting for your comments!

Greetings!

Feb 22, 2015 at 6:26 AM Post #518 of 718
Just ordered one, get it between Feb 6th and 9th! :beerchug:

Had a £50 amazon gift voucher given to me couple of years ago when rejoining a car breakdown service. Couldn't think what to buy with it until I discovered the E11K. £46 so still £4 to spare.
Is there any protective tin on amazon I could buy with the £4 to store the FiiO in? Also, where can I get hold of one of those logo black Fiio bands/straps I've seen in photos here?
...........saw this on amazon uk for £46. .Waiting for my Topping NX1 to arrive this week hopefully, .Also saw the amazon one fron a seller, selling this fiio for £46 but with free fiio cable ?..anyone used this seller before ? EA. Audio...?..Thinking of getting this item too.

Feb 22, 2015 at 10:24 AM Post #519 of 718
...........saw this on amazon uk for £46. .Waiting for my Topping NX1 to arrive this week hopefully, .Also saw the amazon one fron a seller, selling this fiio for £46 but with free fiio cable ?..anyone used this seller before ? EA. Audio...?..Thinking of getting this item too.

FiiO amplifiers always seem to come with the cables. My E10, E11, E5 all came with the cables they needed. I got my E11 from the other FiiO UK seller. AdvancedMp3Players at £35. Really good value. I have made so much use of my E11 and I would prefer to get the same one again. It depends though.

Who can compare both? Does this one boost the bass as much as the old E11? Also I like it to boost the really low end bass. The E11 I have does a good job at that. I am just not that keep on this one because I don't really like the disign since it should be a portable amplifier. It should be fine for home use though if the bass boost sound similar or better than the old E11.

Feb 22, 2015 at 11:25 AM Post #520 of 718
I never used the original e11 but I can say that the bass boost on the e11k is subtle, 4db@60 hz I believe, and doesn't bleed into mids.

Feb 22, 2015 at 1:51 PM Post #522 of 718
Going to order this unit...as its £46 , on amazon uk....one seller sells the unit as it is, the other same price says free fiio lead , the onbe on ebay on its own for about £8 , ?.......so which lead do you get in the normal e11k box ?.....the cheap black one, or the clear one ?....thanks.

Feb 23, 2015 at 4:19 AM Post #523 of 718
Agree that bass boost is more focused on sub-bass and not as strong as original E11. I prefer E11K bass boost, as it lends more grunt / punch in the low end with getting boomy or warm. Of course, YMMV.

Well, my ATHAD700s are very bass light. The E11 bass boost just isn't boomy with them at all. With some types of music, they do at times sound like they are trying too hard. If I don't use the E11k sraped to my X3, I can see the ports and volume control where they are being quite useful for me. I also would find it useful that it can charge while in use. I still don't see how you are supposed to connect it to the X3 without a right angled jack. If only the headphone out swaped plases with the high gain ore even better, the high gain switch was on the side of the unit near the volume control. When my E11 gives up, I may go for this next. It does sound like the bass boost will suid my headphones as it is the really deep bass they could do with more of.

Feb 24, 2015 at 1:52 PM Post #524 of 718
Well my FiiO  E11 k , arrived today...fast despatch...good price.....Anyway I also received the Topping NX1  the other day, ..On opening the box of the FiiO , QUALITY.  springs to mind..Very well packed, everything you would require,  inc a free FiiO  3,5mm - 3.5mm lead  which sells for £8 on ebay......so up to now everything top notch.....
Will post up my thoughts later when iv tried them out a bit more....at the minute ill be mainly using a sony mini disc player, which as radio shows iv copied onto from a dab radio, and a freeviev box , etc......Not the best sound......But I can still check the pair out.......Looking at the pair the FiiO  wins out...better made, feels better, looks better....everything....
It was  £18 .. more.......but like I say a free lead worth £8.......so FiiO... wins out in all aspects......
The only thing I will say the headphones I use iv already found out that the larger headphones sound much better.. using the high gain .. no extra bass req, ...my ear buds don't really sound that good on low gain, .even compared to just putting the ear buds direct into my players...etc.......BUT for my Grado sr325i, , and Sennheiser HD 580, ..and Goldring dr 100., and Grado sr 60....... both of these amps work good......Need to do a lot more checking with the ear buds ?......
Also need to check with different mp3 players.....But so far so good.......If I had to only choose one of these amps......The FiiO ....wins........Back later....mart

Feb 24, 2015 at 2:19 PM Post #525 of 718
  Well my FiiO  E11 k , arrived today...fast despatch...good price.....Anyway I also received the Topping NX1  the other day, ..On opening the box of the FiiO , QUALITY.  springs to mind..Very well packed, everything you would require,  inc a free FiiO  3,5mm - 3.5mm lead  which sells for £8 on ebay......so up to now everything top notch.....

but like I say a free lead worth £8.......so FiiO... wins out in all aspects......

I don't know if the exact same cable comes with the E11k as what came with my E11 but you can buy a better quality version of the same cable from EA audio for £5.99. The one that came with my E11 and E5 was thin and flimsy. One of them didn't last long. The new L8 I got for £5.99 is twice as thick, much better quality that what came with my E11 and E5. I assume that the same thin cable would come with the E11k. I would be surprised if people even sell the new and good quality cable for more that the price of getting it new.

This picture compares the new one I bought. I really expected them to be the same. But no, the thicker one is much more robust.
Sorry for the image quality!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back