Fiio E11 v. E12 for Beyerdynamic dt 880 250 ohm
Feb 1, 2014 at 11:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

headphone960

New Head-Fier
Hello I've got a Beyerdynamic dt 880 250 ohm. I got kind of cheap, and am currently running it with a Fiio e11. Works decently, I can get ample power when used through my laptop... Was wondering if it's worth the upgrade to E12 and what the benefits of that would be.

Feb 1, 2014 at 11:46 PM Post #2 of 5
Can't say that I've heard the E11, but I do own an E12.
The E12 has enough output to drive my 600 Ohm Beyers, other than that, I'm not sure that an E12 would really sound better than an E11.

Feb 3, 2014 at 10:31 PM Post #3 of 5
I'm finding the e12 doing a remarkably great job driving the HD800 and DT 880 600 ohms. But I'm still curious about getting the more heavy duty amps like the Schiit and Woo etc. Problem is they are so pricey and I wonder how much of a difference will I experience going from the portable to a dedicated desktop headphone amp. The e12 is an amazing little amp.. I have the admit, the bass boost  is welcome on many occasions. Should I even consider an upgrade like the WA Fireflies or Schiit stack... or even the Sennheiser HVD800 ($2000) :xf_eek:

Feb 4, 2014 at 8:48 PM Post #4 of 5
  I'm finding the e12 doing a remarkably great job driving the HD800 and DT 880 600 ohms. But I'm still curious about getting the more heavy duty amps like the Schiit and Woo etc. Problem is they are so pricey and I wonder how much of a difference will I experience going from the portable to a dedicated desktop headphone amp. The e12 is an amazing little amp.. I have the admit, the bass boost  is welcome on many occasions. Should I even consider an upgrade like the WA Fireflies or Schiit stack... or even the Sennheiser HVD800 ($2000) :xf_eek:

For example, the Matrix M Stage does sound clearer and fuller than the E12, but the difference is not staggering!
It's actually quite subtle.

Feb 4, 2014 at 9:56 PM Post #5 of 5

For example, the Matrix M Stage does sound clearer and fuller than the E12, but the difference is not staggering!
It's actually quite subtle.

Thanks for your observations. I'll probably upgrade the amps down the road - but definitely happy with the e12.

In response to the OP, I too have not owned the e11 so I can't offer any suggestions. One factor that made me choose the e12 over the e11 was the fact that I can charge during operation. After several months, I only forgot to charge once overnight so not sure how much of an advantage it really is if you remember to charge regularly overnight or at the very least, don't forget to turn it off.

With the big moves being made in the headphone amp market, I have big expectations from Fiio's future amp offerings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back