FiiO E11 Review - Loud Things Come In Small Packages
Jun 15, 2011 at 12:39 PM Post #46 of 83
wow! that'd be great news if it's for real!
popcorn.gif

Jun 15, 2011 at 2:16 PM Post #47 of 83

Quote:
Can anyone with any of those 'phones and an E11 confirm that for me?

Good discovery. I can confirm that E11 indeed will take the RE-ZERO without the adapter. It seems the 3.5mm socket on E11 will naturally act as a TRRS adapter.

Jun 15, 2011 at 2:26 PM Post #48 of 83
Thanks for confirming. I guess this would make this an even better budget portable to go with the RE-262 in that case. I wish I could afford a pair...

Jun 15, 2011 at 2:35 PM Post #49 of 83
Cool discovery!

I can confirm that this works with the RE262s as well. 
etysmile.gif

Quote:
Here's an interesting petit factoid that may be of some interest to people: I was messing around earlier with my RE-ZEROs and figure I'd try them without the TRRS to TRS adapter. And to my immense shock, I got even stereo sound! I was wondering whether it's was just that the two ground wires in my year-old IEMs had managed to meld together, but plugged into an iPod I had the regular occurence of a much louder signal on one side. To my perception on the E11 the sound was the same whether the adapter was used or not.

If this is true for other units too, it's good news for people with RE-ZEROs, RE-262s and HE-500s who don't want to use the balanced to unbalanced adapter (though you still might want to use the channel switcher on the 262). Can anyone with any of those 'phones and an E11 confirm that for me?

Jun 15, 2011 at 8:39 PM Post #50 of 83

Quote:
Thanks for confirming. I guess this would make this an even better budget portable to go with the RE-262 in that case. I wish I could afford a pair...

Its a couple of weeks of living on noodles. Or asking your little sister to go without a kidney. In either case, they are WORTH EVERY PENNY. 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jun 16, 2011 at 4:38 AM Post #51 of 83
I have heard the 262s at a meet, and considered them to be substantially superior tonally to all the Stax SR-007, HD 800s, LCD-2s, T1s, HE-6s and D7000s etc. that I heard that day. The annoying thing is that I probably could afford them if I wanted to, but the real bottleneck here is my parents, who control my online shopping with an iron fist.
My other previous issue was not having an amp for them, but that's no longer a problem...

Jun 16, 2011 at 9:42 AM Post #52 of 83

Quote:
I have heard the 262s at a meet, and considered them to be substantially superior tonally to all the Stax SR-007, HD 800s, LCD-2s, T1s, HE-6s and D7000s etc. that I heard that day. The annoying thing is that I probably could afford them if I wanted to, but the real bottleneck here is my parents, who control my online shopping with an iron fist.
My other previous issue was not having an amp for them, but that's no longer a problem...

eek.gif

I *HAVE* to get me a pair. 

Jack

Jun 16, 2011 at 10:09 AM Post #53 of 83
LOL, Who doesn't? I've got a few Stax and can't really agree (for me). Joker rates them highly but has a few others equal or better. That said, I think it's great when somebody finds their perfect phone. I should be so lucky. Joe, have you revisited the low/high power and gain switches to see if you can hear a dif?

Jun 16, 2011 at 11:27 AM Post #55 of 83
Quote:
LOL, Who doesn't? I've got a few Stax and can't really agree (for me). Joker rates them highly but has a few others equal or better. That said, I think it's great when somebody finds their perfect phone. I should be so lucky. Joe, have you revisited the low/high power and gain switches to see if you can hear a dif?

It's a lovely feeling, honestly. Especially at that price, the fact that they beat out all those other $1k+ 'phones for me is very reassuring to both myself and my wallet.

As to your other question, I have done some further playing around. I think that the high gain setting might make the highs very slightly more pronounced and clean, though I still feel that this might be due to being a little louder than anything. The treble is still not very invigorating, and the rest of the spectrum sounds pretty much the same. The effect seems to vary in intensity with certain cans and IEMs.
With the power switches, I still unequivocally prefer the high power setting. No matter what I listened to or what gain I used, the low power setting sounded bad to my ears. In fact I'm interested to know if Mochan's impressions came from a unit on high or low power mode, as those impressions mesh pretty well with my own on low power.

Jun 16, 2011 at 7:25 PM Post #57 of 83

Quote:
damn...i really am the only one...who doesn't like them

Far from it - I know its OT, but the RE262 seem to polarise people. Perhaps not to the same extent as the RE0, but even those who are fans like to use the 'flawed masterpiece' line (ok, I like to use that line). All IEMs depend on getting a good seal, but these are incredible when you eventually find that 'sweet spot' - I didnt want to take them out of my ears - prior to that I was kinda 'Meh, they arent much different to the PL50s ....'. How wrong I was.

Jun 17, 2011 at 1:09 AM Post #58 of 83

Quote:
Far from it - I know its OT, but the RE262 seem to polarise people. Perhaps not to the same extent as the RE0, but even those who are fans like to use the 'flawed masterpiece' line (ok, I like to use that line). All IEMs depend on getting a good seal, but these are incredible when you eventually find that 'sweet spot' - I didnt want to take them out of my ears - prior to that I was kinda 'Meh, they arent much different to the PL50s ....'. How wrong I was.

When I got them, i was like "damn, what did i buy here!"
I gave them a month the grow into me, but they really get better.

I'm looking to get some new tips, just to try it out. Already tried 5 of them...

Jun 17, 2011 at 6:58 AM Post #59 of 83

Quote:
It's a lovely feeling, honestly. Especially at that price, the fact that they beat out all those other $1k+ 'phones for me is very reassuring to both myself and my wallet.

As to your other question, I have done some further playing around. I think that the high gain setting might make the highs very slightly more pronounced and clean, though I still feel that this might be due to being a little louder than anything. The treble is still not very invigorating, and the rest of the spectrum sounds pretty much the same. The effect seems to vary in intensity with certain cans and IEMs.
With the power switches, I still unequivocally prefer the high power setting. No matter what I listened to or what gain I used, the low power setting sounded bad to my ears. In fact I'm interested to know if Mochan's impressions came from a unit on high or low power mode, as those impressions mesh pretty well with my own on low power.

They were on low gain, for the record. I was using the MS300, which is very sensitive. low gain at 2 was already almost too loud for me; I tend to listen at low-volume.  I should have switched it to high gain and used another pair of cans.

Jun 18, 2011 at 6:37 AM Post #60 of 83

Quote:
They were on low gain, for the record. I was using the MS300, which is very sensitive. low gain at 2 was already almost too loud for me; I tend to listen at low-volume.  I should have switched it to high gain and used another pair of cans.

That makes sense. It's a bit grainier in low gain. If you get another shot, try high gain and also low power if you want to snap it up a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back