FiiO E10 RMAA Tests
Nov 2, 2011 at 8:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

dfkt

Headphoneus Supremus
http://rmaa.elektrokrishna.com/index.php?dir=&search=e10&search_mode=f

The E10 is an excellent soundcard and headphone amp. It drives most anything with ease, it has almost no background hiss even with the most sensitive IEMs (at non-silly listening levels), and the two gain levels make it even more versatile. Bass boost sounds subtle and punchy enough on the E10, much better than on the E6. Treble appears to be slightly rolled off on the E10's analog outputs - it's not overly audible to my ears, it shouldn't matter much (Hifiman, anyone?
tongue.gif
).

I couldn't get the S/PDIF output working properly on two different machines, my desktop and my netbook. Not sure what's wrong here, but the measurements are not to be taken seriously (4% IMD, etc). On the other hand, I had no issues with the D5 S/PDIF output, makes me wonder what's wrong with the E10's digital output.

The E10 is a much better device than the D5 in almost every aspect. If you're looking for a soundcard with headphone amp, don't get the D5, get the E10 instead. The E10 is really an extremely high quality product with very little flaws.

Nov 2, 2011 at 9:50 AM Post #2 of 8
Interesting, but I didn't find any rolloff on E10 (reference against E7) in RMAA feeding into a Tone Weal UT24 audio interface with SE530 as load.

Nov 2, 2011 at 12:55 PM Post #3 of 8
Interesting indeed. May I see your RMAA results? You got a pre-production unit, perchance? Or maybe my E10 is faulty, considering I didn't get S/PDIF to work properly, unlike the D5. It doesn't sound faulty though, it sounds very good.

As you see, all my tests resulted in the same roll-off, the E10 connected to two different computers. Measured the same as I always do, into an Echo Audiofire (same AKM CODEC as in most RME cards), the roll-off definitely is there on my E10.

Nov 2, 2011 at 1:37 PM Post #4 of 8
Spectrumk.jpg

Roll off above 5Khz is the problem of the audio interface. E10 actually do a tiny bit better than E7.

Nov 2, 2011 at 1:47 PM Post #5 of 8
Hmm, doesn't look like a very reliable sound card. Even though RMAA is inherently flawed by itself, the results - yours and mine - sure are weird either way. My E7 measured generally flat, contrary to the E10 - http://rmaa.elektrokrishna.com/Various/FiiO%20E7%20%28Aux%20vs.%20USB%2C%20Vol.%2060%2C%20No%20Bass%20Levels%2C%20Var.%20Loads%29.htm

Nov 2, 2011 at 2:06 PM Post #6 of 8
I get similar result from my PC build in SigmaTel sound card actually. If there is roll off in my E10, it would have been showed on both tests.

Nov 2, 2011 at 6:14 PM Post #7 of 8
RMAA is inaccurate the E7 doesn't have rool off anything like that, the E7 when measured with a Prism dScope Series III with Version 1.4 software, usb is 20 hz to 20 Khz +/- 0.2 , line in is 20 hz – 20 Khz in is +/- 0.1, when driving a load this won't change because the Output Impedance is low at 0.13ohm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back