FiiO E07K has severely distorted output
Jan 9, 2013 at 8:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

gnirrednow

New Head-Fier
I just opened the Andes a few minutes ago, hoping for some awesome sounds but instead everything is distorted and broken sounding. I was trying to search for a similar help thread and someone with a slightly different problem described their sound as 'a broken FM radio' and that's pretty much it. D:

The set-up goes: Macbook Pro (Clementine media player)-> included USB cable -> E07K -> 3.5mm to 2RCA cable -> Swan M200MkIII.

Everything is plugged in nice and tight and I know my speaker set-up and speaker cables are fine. Volume is at reasonable levels and all that. What's wrong?

If you need more info please let me know! This is my first DAC and so far this experience has been bum haha :p

Jan 9, 2013 at 8:48 PM Post #3 of 12
I thought Fiio E07K was intended to use as a headphone amplifier and not like a line out for other devices.

oh, I didn't realize you couldn't use them with speakers as well! Dang it, I can't believe I missed that. D:

However, I've just tested it with headphones and the problem persists. :/

Also: I realize head-fi isn't like tech support (and I've emailed FiiO for help as well), I was just wondering if someone has had the same problem and could identify what's wrong. I feel like I'm making some beginners mistake...

Jan 9, 2013 at 9:38 PM Post #4 of 12
Unfortunately I can't really help you. E07k is relatively new to find information

I had a similar feeling with my fiio E10 at the beginning, but it was only in my head. Hope you could fix your problem

Jan 9, 2013 at 10:08 PM Post #5 of 12
Check your gain setting and set it to zero gain, and be sure all the EQ are off. The other obvious things to do are to reinstall the driver, change to another media player, set the playback bitrate correctly (seem to be an issue for many Mac user), and try the E07K on another PC, preferably a Windows as this will clearly tell you it is a driver or setting issue if E07K can work fine under Windows.

Jan 12, 2013 at 2:07 AM Post #6 of 12
I just got my Fiio E07K today and setup was pretty easy.
My setup is as follows: Windows 7 Laptop > USB > E07K > HD280 Pro

Overall, it sounds really good. I'm not having any issues with mine.
Hope you get it figured out.

Jan 22, 2013 at 10:11 AM Post #8 of 12
I have read that you have to use alot of pressure when plugging the headphones in, sounds like this may be the problem.

The E07K has 2 headphone outputs. I would that out. But yes try the other one.

Also if you don't have another PC around try using an iPod or player as the source.

Jan 24, 2013 at 11:24 PM Post #9 of 12
Just to follow up, I ended up returning it :frowning2:

Thanks for the help people!

Edit: that sounded sarcastic, but really, thanks! I've learned a lot from lurking this community and I appreciate the comments ^_^

Jan 26, 2013 at 6:05 PM Post #10 of 12
If you do decide to get another one, the FiiO L7 adapter will give you a line out for speakers.

May 25, 2013 at 5:58 PM Post #11 of 12
Hi, I've been lurking here for a while and just became the owner of a FiiO E07K, Going to zombie this old thread because I had the same problem on a Macbook Air and a Windows 7 HTPC.

The Macbook after installing the E07K had the same distorted output. I downloaded a whole bunch of players but they were still distorted. What you need to do is hard shutdown and reboot the Macbook. Thats it. A Windows PC doesn't need to and seems to have no problems switching between sources.

The Windows HTPC I tried also had the same problem. Turns out the mini jack on the Fiio wasn't pushed in enough. The rubber case seems to  make it look like the jack is fully plugged in even though it clicks in but it can be slightly out. Just depends on the cable. So  try it without the case on.

Hope this helps anyone searching on this. Cheers

Aug 29, 2013 at 10:44 PM Post #12 of 12
I ran across this thread with the very same issues, yet I knew the E07K was working well with my iPad and iPhone.

After lots of research, I found that if you run the "Audio MIDI Setup" app in OSX, you can set the FiiO device to use "96000.0 Hz" and "2ch-24bit Integer" for the device and you will get all the quality you expect.  Default it was set to "44100.0 Hz" and "2ch-" somethingorother that wasn't 24bit.  Solved all my distortion issues.

I'm running my E07K through an E09 and it sounds pretty decent with these settings and my AKG K270 headphones, on OS X 10.8.4 on a MacBookPro8,2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back