FiiO E07K DAC/Amp Setup Help
Jun 14, 2013 at 12:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

KSIXephos938

Head-Fier
Hi, so I've bought a FiiO E07K for my gaming laptop. Its my first amp and need help on the setup. So I've connected the DAC to the laptop with the headphone jack and added my gaming headset and speakers on the twin jacks on the top. There doesn't seem to be a sound coming out, there is a very faint sound but almost unhearable. What's the problem? I've exprienced a simillar problem with the FiiO E6 on my Cowon J3. Any tutorials to set it up? Thanks

Jun 14, 2013 at 2:03 AM Post #2 of 14
Why use 3.5mm jack instead of USB? Just wondering...

Jun 14, 2013 at 4:55 AM Post #4 of 14
Ok, well if you're using Apple or Windows laptop you could read this article. http://www.ayre.com/usb-dac.htm It's pretty nice step-by-step tutorial how to set up computer and external dac using Foobar2k or J.River MC. Check the settings from laptop end first. They use Ayre USB/dac in this tutorial but FiiO works similarly.

Jun 15, 2013 at 2:01 AM Post #5 of 14
Ok, so I've finally managed to set up the DAC, thanks Moolok, my next questions is what else I have to do. Do I have to download any drivers? Do I have to put the volume up to 100% like other portable amps? Thanks.

Jun 15, 2013 at 3:38 AM Post #6 of 14
Quote:
Ok, so I've finally managed to set up the DAC, thanks Moolok, my next questions is what else I have to do. Do I have to download any drivers? Do I have to put the volume up to 100% like other portable amps? Thanks.

What OS are you using? Which version of Windows, MacOS, Linux? Which software are you using for playback?

I usually leave the digital volume on my Macs at around 80-90% and then use the volume on the Dac/Amp for volume adjustments.

Hope that helps,
K

Jun 15, 2013 at 4:49 AM Post #7 of 14
I'm using Windows 7 64-bit. Well I'm using a mish mash of playback software, windows media player, iTunes but mainly audio from games. Wanted a dedicated sound card for games like Battlefield 3 with such high res sound.

Jun 15, 2013 at 5:50 AM Post #8 of 14
Here's how I have set up my FiiO in Windows 8 (it's in finnish sry about that):

And my J.River MC18 settings

Result: bit perfect output for music.

Jun 15, 2013 at 11:02 AM Post #10 of 14
Quote:
Thanks.... But how did you get the second batch of photos. What software did you use?

My Windows-fu is weak... I used ctrl+alt+print scr for capturing and Paint for saving as jpg.

Jun 15, 2013 at 12:04 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:
No, I meant the software for setting up the DAC not the software for getting the pictures. ☺ Is there a FiiO version of what you're using for your J.River?

Lol :D My bad.
Software in pictures is J.River Media Center 18. It's like Winamp. I use it to play music, mostly flac files. It's not freeware but you can download fully functional 30 day trial if you want to try it.
Settings vary depending on software. I posted what I use in J.River for example. Some use Foobar2000, some Winamp or Mediamoney etc. Basically you can use all of those software with windows direct sound but if you want bit perfect output (for music) you have to use ASIO, WASAPI or Kernel streaming (plugins).

Jun 15, 2013 at 8:48 PM Post #13 of 14
Oh, ok. Well I'll be using my IE80 IEMs for music so it would be pretty easy to drive. Would the E07K make a difference with these? I'm mainly using my Razer Tiamat 2.2 for gaming (yeah I know gaming headsets are crap) and I want better audio for my games. Also I've got a set of 2.0 speakers, would they benefit from the E07K? Thanks.

Jan 6, 2016 at 12:06 PM Post #14 of 14
Hi KSIX. I have only heard the E7K over phones. They are noted for separation (nearly perfect) so I hesitate to comment on speaker use. Still waiting to get the DAC side working.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back