FiiO E07K ANDES Review and Help Thread
Mar 1, 2013 at 6:08 AM Post #571 of 1,676
I am pretty happy now... And why? Because as I suspected, the problem with my connections between the note II and the Fiio E07K where the cable. Here my experience:

1. I tried several kind of cables, from adapters to... almost everything. As someone pointed, they weren´t "OTG" cables. "On the go" for Micro USB cables means that one of the five pins is connected to another ground pin, telling the device that is connected to another device which can manage. This said.

2. I bought Lindy USB 2.0 Cable Micro-A/Mini-B 0.5m, which is OTG. Big disappointment at first, because it is A, and I didn´t realize it does not fit in my note II. As I had an useless cable, I decide to manually sand the chamfers.

3. I got the cable to connect with my note. As soon as I connect the cable (even with nothing else connected in the mini USB side) I get the next message: "Conector USB conectado" (USB connector connected).

4. Time to connect the Fiio E07K. I just tried connecting the cable first to the Fiio, then turning on the Fiio, and then connecting to the phone. Then I start "Your song" of Elton John in spotify and put on my Jaycar Pro Monitor. Sound is clear and defined!

Enjoying it right now...

Wondering right now if I sold my Fiio E17 very fast...
E17 is hard to use with Android/ apple/ nokia as DAC as its power draw is too large.

You cant use it as dac unless you have a middleman power source in between.

Mar 1, 2013 at 8:31 AM Post #572 of 1,676
I'd still like to know if anyone on US carriers like AT&T or Verizon has gotten the E07k to work with the GS3 or Note 2. As stated much earlier in this thread, It worked for me exactly one time (played Spotify music for about 1/2 hour), but was never able to get it to play music before or after that. Also: I am able to use a USB audio tester app that processes any sound picked up by the mic and outputs to the earbuds. That works every time, so I know the cable works.

Mar 1, 2013 at 2:09 PM Post #576 of 1,676
can i use the E07k with a desktop amplifier, i mean just using this as a dac when i am at home?

Also even if i do get it to work with my s3 will it drain my phones battery?
Yes with an adapter. L7 allows you to use with computer and Only as dac and then you can use another amp if you dont want to use andes amp.

It will use your phones batteries yes. Possibly a bit faster than normal.

You are offloading dac and amp to andes but that barely saves power. Default usb power draw i would expect to be more than the power you save from offloading.

Mar 1, 2013 at 3:14 PM Post #577 of 1,676
Quote:
Yes with an adapter. L7 allows you to use with computer and Only as dac and then you can use another amp if you dont want to use andes amp.

It will use your phones batteries yes. Possibly a bit faster than normal.

You are offloading dac and amp to andes but that barely saves power. Default usb power draw i would expect to be more than the power you save from offloading.

Both E7 and EO7K have a menu option to turn off the charging thru the USB connector so it doesn't have to drain your phone's batteries right? Does it also turn off the charging thru the mini-USB connector on the L7 adapter?

If not I'm hoping the battery consumption won't be too big an issue for me since I use an extended battery on my GS3 phone that's little over twice the capacity as the original battery (4300mAh instead of the original 2100mAh). 

Mar 1, 2013 at 3:24 PM Post #578 of 1,676
Quote:
Both E7 and EO7K have a menu option to turn off the charging thru the USB connector so it doesn't have to drain your phone's batteries right? Does it also turn off the charging thru the mini-USB connector on the L7 adapter?

If not I'm hoping the battery consumption won't be too big an issue for me since I use an extended battery on my GS3 phone that's little over twice the capacity as the original battery (4300mAh instead of the original 2100mAh). 

No. You HAVE to already turn it off to use with a phone. But there will still be a standard USB power draw. By default.

That connector is only to charge the E17/E07K/E7. It ISN'T an input.

Mar 1, 2013 at 3:35 PM Post #579 of 1,676
Quote:
E17 is hard to use with Android/ apple/ nokia as DAC as its power draw is too large.

You cant use it as dac unless you have a middleman power source in between.

My question is: Is the power draw that high? Because, I forgot to mention but I even use it with USB charging on without any problem at all. I don't think the power drain of the E17 without USB charging could be higher than the power drain of the E07K with it ON. Maybe my assumption here is wrong.

Mar 1, 2013 at 3:42 PM Post #580 of 1,676
Quote:

My question is: Is the power draw that high? Because, I forgot to mention but I even use it with USB charging on without any problem at all. I don't think the power drain of the E17 without USB charging could be higher than the power drain of the E07K with it ON. Maybe my assumption here is wrong.

I believe it is. Nobody was able to get it working with Android/iPad/Nokia even with USB CHG off.

I spent quite a lot of time helping out in the e17 thread. But of course, Android isn't set in stone like iPad.

Mar 1, 2013 at 3:56 PM Post #581 of 1,676
Quote:
No. You HAVE to already turn it off to use with a phone. But there will still be a standard USB power draw. By default.

That connector is only to charge the E17/E07K/E7. It ISN'T an input.

Okay thanks for the clarrification. I wasn't going to use the L7 connector myself but thought I'd ask about it when you brought it up.

I was actually planning to use the USB OTG adapter to with my SG3. In fact, I actually returned the E17 back to Amazon and ordered the E07K which should be arriving to me today. Hopefully I can get it to work.

Mar 1, 2013 at 4:07 PM Post #582 of 1,676
Quote:
Okay thanks for the clarrification. I wasn't going to use the L7 connector myself but thought I'd ask about it when you brought it up.

I was actually planning to use the USB OTG adapter to with my SG3. In fact, I actually returned the E17 back to Amazon and ordered the E07K which should be arriving to me today. Hopefully I can get it to work.

L7 allows you to bypass internal amp of Alpen,Andes and E7. The USB on the side of the L7 is because on some of those models, the L7 will block the USB input. So wait. The L7' MAY allow you to use it as an input. I'm not sure. Forgot about that sorry.

As you can see from this thread, many have, many haven't gotten them to work. E17 had never worked with any device I heard of in the E17 thread without a power source in the middle.

Mar 1, 2013 at 5:54 PM Post #583 of 1,676
Quote:
L7 allows you to bypass internal amp of Alpen,Andes and E7. The USB on the side of the L7 is because on some of those models, the L7 will block the USB input. So wait. The L7' MAY allow you to use it as an input. I'm not sure. Forgot about that sorry.

As you can see from this thread, many have, many haven't gotten them to work. E17 had never worked with any device I heard of in the E17 thread without a power source in the middle.

LOL... well I'm gonna give it a try and see if I can get the digital signal from the USB OTG directly into the mini-USB of the E07K. The guy from Fiio on the E18 thread said they confirmed it worked but of course (like you said) many on this thread have had problems. And if it doesn't work I'll just use it as an amp only while I wait for the E18 to come out (hopefully by as early as July).

At least I was able to return the E17 and now have the better unit (EO7K) to try it. Besides E07K is about $60 cheaper than the E17 so I save that money and also the two outputs of the E07K are more useful to me than the SPDIF input the E17.    

Mar 4, 2013 at 10:47 PM Post #584 of 1,676
Hello! Long time lurker here. I just got my otg cable and started using it with my galaxy s3. The cable I used: http://dx.com/p/micro-usb-male-to-usb-female-otg-adapter-cable-for-samsung-galaxy-s3-i9300-black-8cm-153644

For those with the audio skipping/super fast playback issue, make sure your music files are in the INTERNAL storage, not the external SD card. I get the same issue, but only with the files that are on my SD card. Works like a charm for anything in my internal storage. Tried both stock media player and poweramp.

Maybe the external SD card usages a same interface as the usb audio out and overloads the usb bandwidth perhaps?

For those who are curious:
Model:SGH-T999V (Wind Canada)
Android version: Stock Jelly Bean 4.1.1, unrooted

Users who are viewing this thread

Back