FiiO Dynamic Driver Earbuds FF3/14.2mm large driver/Beryllium-plated dome + PU gasket diaphragm /316L stainless steel polished construction US$99
Jul 17, 2022 at 11:21 AM Post #17 of 32
The way these were measured is the correct way to do it. Remember that these were measured without foams and thus really represents a worst case scenario for anyone who will use these with foams. These measurements would sound too thin and bright for the majority of users as is and foams will put these closer to a balanced sound no matter the consistency of the foams used. These are ‘at worst’ very good measurements without foams. I’d be more interested in seeing how they measure with the foams on which would represent something closer to a real world use case because the foams change things greatly and are pretty much the only way these are going to couple to your ear properly. Foam thickness and density has a lot to do with not only bass response, but pinna gain/relative midrange and midbass levels and treble extension. I’ve done a lot of quasi ‘proper’ earbud measuring without foams and these would slightly edge out my best DIY efforts under the given circumstances. How they are coupled to the user’s ears is going to be the final determinant of how balanced these sound. I’d say these certainly look to have potential but the desire for visual appeal may have outweighed ear coupling and thus function. In other words: my bigger concerns are actually with the smoothness of the surface polish and the weight distribution of the buds. Will these be able to retain the foam in a stable fashion and thus remain stable in my ear while I move around? If so, these could be a knockout depending on how the foams change their frequency profile. This is a lot more information than certainly most other manufacturers post. I’d say it’s a good sign….

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2022 at 6:12 PM Post #18 of 32
09ABB04A-1F9C-42BE-8B46-F2684345DC81.jpeg

You can see in this set of graphs the way the bass response and the pinna gain change with foams applied. This driver is famous in the community for its inability to reproduce deep bass. You can see that the addition of foam, these are just normal density foams, adds a lot to the low end and decreases the pinna gain a lot. I would expect these new FiiO buds to sound very good with the right foams for your listening desires.

Sorry about the slightly noisy graphs. Earbuds allow a lot of outside noise in—which is what I like about them.

Jul 25, 2022 at 11:35 AM Post #20 of 32
Nice, it looks better than EM5. If it fits better than EM5 then I am in.
I got these in earlier today (for a review) and although it is obviously very early days yet, the first thing I noticed is that the build and fit are, for me at least, an improvement over the EM5. When I reviewed the EM5 I was heartbroken because I loved the sound, but could never get a secure fit, even the slightest turning of my head would cause the EM5 to fall out. The FF3 sit much more secure for me and so far it seems I can move around without any noticeable movement of the earbuds. No head banging obviously, but I can walk around and even with the cable dangling it doesn't pull the earbuds out. These are the first earbuds I have come across that I can use without ear hooks to secure them in place, after my wife's Apple earbuds I borrowed ages ago. It is not super secure, but that is also inherent to earbuds. Looking forward to testing them more extensively over the next few weeks.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2022 at 12:03 PM Post #21 of 32
I got these in earlier today (for a review) and although it is obviously very early days yet, the first thing I noticed is that the build and fit are, for me at least, an improvement over the EM5. When I reviewed the EM5 I was heartbroken because I loved the sound, but could never get a secure fit, even the slightest turning of my head would cause the EM5 to fall out. The FF3 sit much more secure for me and so far it seems I can move around without any noticeable movement of the earbuds. No head banging obviously, but I can walk around and even with the cable dangling it doesn't pull the earbuds out. These are the first earbuds I have come across that I can use without ear hooks to secure them in place, after my wife's Apple earbuds I borrowed ages ago. It is not super secure, but that is also inherent to earbuds. Looking forward to testing them more extensively over the next few weeks.
Thanks, that is good news.
Fit issues were the reason I had to let EM5 go.
I will be waiting for your impressions and review.

Jul 31, 2022 at 11:36 PM Post #22 of 32
Anyone has this yet ? I'm tempted and I'm just one tap away at ordering. Is it any good?
Yes and yes. I’d order it with a VE EX PACK. Their foams lighten this up a bit. This is a very bass heavy bud with all but the donut foams supplied with these.

interestingly enough, this is one of the best fitting and most secure in my ear bud I’ve tried as well… others will have a different take on that I’m sure, but these work very well with my ear I’m happy to say.

Jul 31, 2022 at 11:44 PM Post #23 of 32
Anyone has this yet ? I'm tempted and I'm just one tap away at ordering. Is it any good?

My impression on the earbuds thread here.

It’s outstanding. Can’t wait for FF5 to see what else Fiio can do. Hopefully they won’t mess it up :dt880smile:

Aug 1, 2022 at 1:02 AM Post #24 of 32
The FF3 is a great bud that FiiO will have to work hard to improve on. From my best buds, it lacks very little except some resolution and soundstage. It’s not bad in that regard by any means, just not the best I’ve heard. In truth though, I think I enjoy the FiiO’s midrange the most. The blend of warmth and resolution is slightly more towards the “ pleasing” rather than “engaging” side of the spectrum. It’s the HD650 of buds in that regard, but it has better bass, a wider soundstage, a much lower price, greater comfort and portability, and perhaps a better build quality. I really need to compare it with some others, but I haven’t wanted to listen to anything else yet. I’m just enjoying the new buds. When I saw the graph knowing how things have worked in my rig, I knew they were on to something. I have resisted a lot of temptation in the past couple months, but the devil got the best of me and I’m glad she did. With the neutral foams it’s too warm for me and the donuts are too shouty. The VEs are just tastefully warm.

Aug 1, 2022 at 3:06 AM Post #25 of 32
The FF3 is a great bud that FiiO will have to work hard to improve on. From my best buds, it lacks very little except some resolution and soundstage. It’s not bad in that regard by any means, just not the best I’ve heard. In truth though, I think I enjoy the FiiO’s midrange the most. The blend of warmth and resolution is slightly more towards the “ pleasing” rather than “engaging” side of the spectrum. It’s the HD650 of buds in that regard, but it has better bass, a wider soundstage, a much lower price, greater comfort and portability, and perhaps a better build quality. I really need to compare it with some others, but I haven’t wanted to listen to anything else yet. I’m just enjoying the new buds. When I saw the graph knowing how things have worked in my rig, I knew they were on to something. I have resisted a lot of temptation in the past couple months, but the devil got the best of me and I’m glad she did. With the neutral foams it’s too warm for me and the donuts are too shouty. The VEs are just tastefully warm.
They sure are improving and FF5 might be it. EM5 was one of the best sounding buds I heard but fit killed it for me. Hope FF3 and FF5 would be the keepers.

Aug 1, 2022 at 6:54 AM Post #26 of 32
The FF3 is a great bud that FiiO will have to work hard to improve on. From my best buds, it lacks very little except some resolution and soundstage.

There are earbuds out there with even better technical performance than these ones? That would put them in the ball park with the TOTL IEM for sure, given how great FF3 performs

Aug 1, 2022 at 10:18 AM Post #27 of 32
There are earbuds out there with even better technical performance than these ones? That would put them in the ball park with the TOTL IEM for sure, given how great FF3 performs
DIY. There are likely others, but I haven’t spent that kind of money and can’t say. These certainly don’t make me feel like I’m missing much with anything else. I bet the Tingo TG38 beats in resolution as well, but it’s limited in the bass department and can’t really do any electronic genre justice. It’s also got an aluminum VC like the FF3, but it’s cheap as chips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back