Fiio D3
Oct 24, 2011 at 12:49 PM Post #61 of 234
Recently received the Fiio D3 and I have to say it meshes better with my DT 990s. A majority of the shrill "digital" sounding treble that was present with the E7 through the E9 is gone. Using the E7 through the E9 with DT 990s was painful and almost unlistenable. I am pleasantly surprised with the D3 although I'm sure higher end DACs would put it to shame. 

Just my two cents...

Oct 28, 2011 at 4:26 PM Post #62 of 234
Any care to give a brief (or not brief.. either way) comparison of how this DAC would compare to something a bit more expensive like the Bifrost?

I've never even used a DAC but am thinking of getting one eventually and don't really have any idea what sort of performance difference there can be between DAC's. $30 for an a component that would make my music sound better sounds like a great deal. But if paying $300 would make a substantial difference I would probably do it.

Oct 29, 2011 at 2:24 AM Post #63 of 234

Quote:
Any care to give a brief (or not brief.. either way) comparison of how this DAC would compare to something a bit more expensive like the Bifrost?

I've never even used a DAC but am thinking of getting one eventually and don't really have any idea what sort of performance difference there can be between DAC's. $30 for an a component that would make my music sound better sounds like a great deal. But if paying $300 would make a substantial difference I would probably do it.

I can't compare the bifrost, but I will say compared to other dacs, the D3 just gets left in the dust

Only get it if you're on a strict budget and in desperate need of a straight up line out, otherwise, I've used 70 dollar dacs that blow this out of the water.

Bottom line:

Don't expect miracles from a 30 dollar dac.

Oct 29, 2011 at 5:26 PM Post #64 of 234

Quote:
I can't compare the bifrost, but I will say compared to other dacs, the D3 just gets left in the dust

Only get it if you're on a strict budget and in desperate need of a straight up line out, otherwise, I've used 70 dollar dacs that blow this out of the water.

Bottom line:

Don't expect miracles from a 30 dollar dac.

Cool, thanks for the info

Oct 30, 2011 at 9:24 PM Post #66 of 234
For the pice of an adapter plus coax/optical cable, plus D3, you can purchase a USB DAC or USB DAC/AMP negating any purported savings you might have had in mind.

Nov 2, 2011 at 5:08 AM Post #67 of 234
I have the D3 on order, and plan to use it as an external DAC between a Squeezebox Receiver and headphone amp (E9 or O2). I will post some impressions when I receive it.

Nov 4, 2011 at 10:10 AM Post #68 of 234
Ok, the D3 arrived. I did a quick and dirty comparison with the E7 with the following setup:

Source was a laptop with Foobar2000, using WASAPI output. Headphones used were the Superlux 668B.

E7 was docked in the E9 and the USB cable was attached to the E9. WASAPI output and USB DAC, 16 bit output selected in Foobar2000.

D3 was hooked up to the laptop using an optical cable and connected to the E9 using an ordinary OFC RCA->3.5mm cable. WASAPI output, optical out, 16 bit output selected in Foobar2000.

I wasn't expecting that I could hear any differences at all, but I was surprised to actually hear some. First of all, the output level seemed a touch higher with the D3, but the sound was cleaner and less harsh in the upper frequencies when listening through the E7. I think sibilance was less of a problem with female vocals.

I won't have any problem using the D3, though, as the differences were pretty small (but discernible nevertheless) and I can confirm that it supports 24 bit output.

Anyway, what a surprise and eye-opener for me. I've always thought that DAC's don't really matter all that much, and I was almost certain I would not be able to tell the difference.

Nov 4, 2011 at 10:33 AM Post #69 of 234
Just to expand on my previous impressions: I also A/B'ed the D3 and E7 with my HD650's, and the E7 clearly has more extension in the upper frequencies. The difference was not as easy to hear with the 668B's, which are a lot brighter than the HD650's, but the D3 actually sounds a bit muffled with the HD650's. Sibilance was not a problem with the HD650's though.

Nov 10, 2011 at 8:25 PM Post #70 of 234
Found this on search, so rather than start a new thread ...

I'm trying to decide between Sonos and Apple TV for multiroom listening.  As my wife and I are already "all in" with the iOS ecosystem, I grabbed an Apple TV that was on open box with no remote for $59.  I dug around, found my old Apple remote and it works great, and my wife has already made her decision - Airplay works, it's easy for her to send Pandora or iTunes music to the Apple TV - she's done.  So, I'm on the verge of buying a bunch of Apple TVs, spreading them around the house and using them for audio - but they only have optical and HDMI out.  So, I'll need a DAC for any room without optical input on the stereo.  For those who've used the D3 with an Apple TV - how was the sound?  Average, hi-consumer or audiophile?  My wife will only want hi-consumer, bur I'd prefer to edge that up a bit.  Any thoughts?

Nov 11, 2011 at 6:54 AM Post #71 of 234
I'll chime in with my impression of the Fiio D3. I bought it on a lark to use with a secondary setup and I've got to say that it offers tremendous bang for the buck. I've not done side-by-side comparisons with any of the other DACs I own or have owned, but as someone accustomed to using the Cambridge Audio DACMagic and PS Audio DLIII in combination with the HD-650, HE-5LE and ATH-W1000X, I can honestly say I'm very satisfied with the Fiio D3's performance and would have a hard time paying 15 to 28 times more for a subtle improvement in sound quality. 

Dec 4, 2011 at 10:03 AM Post #73 of 234
I´ve  replaced the original AC/DC power adapter,  by an USB/mini USB cable between the D3 and the PC (onboard Toslink--->optical cable--->D3--->RCA cable--->Edifier M3400) and the subtle "hiss" I was hearing before, has gonne.  Has anyone realized that already ?  (I wonder how it would sound with battery powered USB)

Dec 9, 2011 at 10:07 AM Post #75 of 234
Dear nagual,

You can buy direct in MP4nation without any problem.

Note: You live in a beautiful city! :xf_eek:)

Abraço,

Peter

Quote:
Well, I was very happy finishing the form to order my Fiio D3 from Amazon, when a message popped up advising me that "this product can´t be delivered to Brazil"...So,  is there any hope that, some day,  I could get my D3 ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back