[FiiO BTR15/BTR5 2021/BTR5]Bluetooth DAC and Headphone Amplifier Discussion & Impressions Thread
Nov 4, 2019 at 6:23 AM Post #17 of 3,639
yeah, btr3, the btr5 is their new product and is marketed as the next step up, so one would assume the information of a different device does not apply :wink:
Just pointing out that Fiio has never said LDAC eq would work on any of their products, whilst you are saying that this is a bug. It isn't, it is a feature :wink:

Nov 4, 2019 at 6:33 AM Post #18 of 3,639
2019-11-04_113051.jpg
Just pointing out that Fiio has never said LDAC eq would work on any of their products, whilst you are saying that this is a bug. It isn't, it is a feature :wink:

I understand what you're saying, but I don't own a btr3, nor did I look up what the btr3 can or can't do.
The btr5 product page clearly states it does have a 10 band equaliser, no asterisks stating it doesn't work in ldac or usb mode :)
So from my point of view, I never knew it wouldn't be able to work on LDAC or USB, don't get why it would be a feature in your eyes.

Nov 5, 2019 at 3:55 AM Post #19 of 3,639
@FiiO is it possible for you to post here when there's a firmware update or support app update?
I am very keen to get the on board equaliser working on LDAC and USB and hoping you will release a firmware update soon which fixes these issues.
I am currently on firmware version v1.0.1 and support app version 1.0
Dear friend,

It is not a issue to be fixed. Since the audio processing process of LDAC is more special than other Bluetooth formats, we are still doing related debugging, and strive to achieve the same effect as other Bluetooth formats, but it will take a certain amount of time. And we did not mention the EQ will support in USB DAC mode in other devices as well.

Best regards

Last edited:
FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Nov 5, 2019 at 4:00 AM Post #21 of 3,639
Dear friend,

It is not a issue to be fixed. Since the audio processing process of LDAC is more special than other Bluetooth formats, we are still doing related debugging, and strive to achieve the same effect as other Bluetooth formats, but it will take a certain amount of time. And we did not mention the EQ will support in USB DAC mode.

Best regards

please see the post above yours, it clearly states you have a 10 band equaliser, nowhere does it mention it won't work on ldac or usb.
You should make this clear for potential buyers.
I still can't get an answer whether you will support the eq over ldac in future, so I think I'll be returning my btr5.
It's a simple question which I feel keeps being avoided by telling me your debugging.
Don't really get what that is supposed to tell me.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2019 at 4:22 AM Post #22 of 3,639
Regarding EQ over USB DAC - since a person must be using either a PC or smartphone as source, I would think using EQ on the source would be just as easy (and probably more advanced than what is on the BTR5) and shouldn't be much of an issue for most. For example EQ on apps like Neutron or UAPP is well beyond the capability of FiiO's own app.

My guess is the built-in EQ function is likely implemented using the DSP function inside the BT chip, which is not used when it is in USB DAC mode (which only required the XMOS and ES9218P to work) and thus it is probably unavailable on the hardware level.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2019 at 6:28 AM Post #23 of 3,639
Regarding EQ over USB DAC - since a person must be using either a PC or smartphone as source, I would think using EQ on the source would be just as easy (and probably more advanced than what is on the BTR5) and shouldn't be much of an issue for most. For example EQ on apps like Neutron or UAPP is well beyond the capability of FiiO's own app.

My guess is the built-in EQ function is likely implemented using the DSP function inside the BT chip, which is not used when it is in USB DAC mode (which only required the XMOS and ES9218P to work) and thus it is probably unavailable on the hardware level.

yeah, the btr5 has potential but for now I think I might stick with the es100 till the qudelix lands.
The app on the radsone just edges the scales in favour for me and I made a promise to myself not to keep both :)
Going to miss it, but will return it.

Thanks for all your helpful posts guys, much appreciated, see you on the forum elsewhere :-D

Nov 5, 2019 at 6:37 AM Post #24 of 3,639
yeah, the btr5 has potential but for now I think I might stick with the es100 till the qudelix lands.
The app on the radsone just edges the scales in favour for me and I made a promise to myself not to keep both :)

Thanks for all your helpful posts guys, much appreciated, see you on the forum elsewhere :-D
How do you have a BTR5? In China?

Nov 5, 2019 at 6:43 AM Post #26 of 3,639
I pre-ordered it months ago as I thought the specs sounded great.
It got delivered to me in the UK about a week ago.
So they shipped me a first batch one, it's gone now though just posted it :wink:
Oh. Very nice of Fiio! Did you pre-order direct with Fiio on AliExpress?

Nov 5, 2019 at 6:50 AM Post #28 of 3,639
Nov 5, 2019 at 9:38 AM Post #29 of 3,639

Besides the fact the EQ isn't working on LDAC, I actually like the app on FiiO better than that of Radsone I don't use EQ in general so whether it works on LDAC or not is not a big concern for me, but all the extra filters / clock / distortion setting is a big plus as they offer much finer control over texture / tonal balance that what ES100 can offer.

Also I like the balanced output on the BTR5 just a little over than of ES100, especially when pairing with a pair of neutral headphone.

Nov 5, 2019 at 5:59 PM Post #30 of 3,639

Besides functionality, could you detect bigger sound differences between the two?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back