[FiiO BTR15/BTR5 2021/BTR5]Bluetooth DAC and Headphone Amplifier Discussion & Impressions Thread
Jan 16, 2020 at 10:24 PM Post #527 of 3,635
Hi all. Newbie here. Just got my btr5 yesterday.
Just want to ask, for using the btr5 in Bluetooth mode with an android phone, how do you guys set up the volume on both devices?
For e.g.
phone volume 100% X btr5 volume 25%
Phone volume 50% X btr5 volume 50%
I'm wondering how to set it up for best sound quality.

Also, have anyone tried to change the android LDAC audio output quality to 990kbps in developer option? For me, the music breaks up at this bit rate and I can only set to 660 for proper usage.

Jan 16, 2020 at 11:02 PM Post #528 of 3,635
Hi all. Newbie here. Just got my btr5 yesterday.
Just want to ask, for using the btr5 in Bluetooth mode with an android phone, how do you guys set up the volume on both devices?
For e.g.
phone volume 100% X btr5 volume 25%
Phone volume 50% X btr5 volume 50%
I'm wondering how to set it up for best sound quality.

Also, have anyone tried to change the android LDAC audio output quality to 990kbps in developer option? For me, the music breaks up at this bit rate and I can only set to 660 for proper usage.
Source volume should always be maxed out

Jan 17, 2020 at 3:45 AM Post #529 of 3,635
I have been using the BTR5 now for a couple of months, and it's dawning on me just how much it's changed my portable usage.

Previous flagships for my musing listening are now playing 2nd fiddle:

X7ii is now currently quite redundant.

My M11has been relegated to desktop DAC use with the ageing MOJO now being used in another room fed off a Chromecast optical out to run some good active monitors.

Conversely I've revived my M6 which had been languishing in my gadget drawer, and am LDACing that with the BTR5, for easy portable use, and for streaming using my cellphones with BTR5, either Note 8 or V30.

Basically, because of its astonishingly good sound quality, this little widget has redefined my portable and wireless expectations.

Jan 17, 2020 at 3:46 AM Post #530 of 3,635
Can be mixed both ground signals from balanced to have more power lineout ? Like single ended from ifi.

Jan 17, 2020 at 4:17 AM Post #533 of 3,635
Hey does it come with usbc to usbc cable ? Was just wondering about wired to my galaxy......cheers.

I don't know to be honest I didn't open the accessory pack as I already have an USB A to C cable I used for charging. I will check tonight if nobody else as replied by then.

I also have a C to C cable here already that came with my 1TB Samsung SSD drive so I will try wired to my V30 soon

Edit: I just tried V30 wired to BTR5. UAPP is outputting streamed Tidal no problem, BTR5 is showing the correct 96Khz bit rate too. This is a great little device.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2020 at 4:29 AM Post #534 of 3,635
The more I listen to my SE846 balanced with BTR5 fed from my S10+ over LDAC BT I keep thinking a sub £80 BT device should'nt be possible to sound this good!

I've listed my Sony A105 for sale and hardly even using my Dragonfly Cobalt at the moment as I'm enjoying the sound quality/sig so much out of the BTR5, plus its convenience.

Not even tried it as a wired DAC yet, just for BT.

Now tried as wired DAC to PC & S10+/UAPP and you know what, the DFC is also now going to be sold. The BTR5 is an "all-in-one" wonder. I might now have finally found the one device that meets all my needs when used with my balanced SE846's, then just coupled to any decent daily use phone that does LDAC when out & about. Currently use an S10+ 512GB + 512GB mSD so plenty of storage.

Native DSD playback with UAPP is up their with the Mojo for me.

Jan 17, 2020 at 4:34 AM Post #535 of 3,635
I also use my BTR5 with my v30. If I keep them both on the same side of my body I can use LDAC (600 and 900) without dropouts. If my body is between them I will have issues - more if I force 900 than if I force 600, though. Can't remember if the ES100 was as bad - will have to take it out of mothballs to test out.

I do have a weird problem where the BTR5 will power itself off when it has been playing for about 40 minutes. I can power it back up without an issue. Will update the FW and maybe that will go away.

No problem with my S10+ with BTR5 at 600 but S10 has issue with 900 unless screen is off! Otherwise OK at 900 to. Never dropped once anywhere around me at 600.

Jan 17, 2020 at 4:37 AM Post #536 of 3,635
]
Can be mixed both ground signals from balanced to have more power lineout ? Like single ended from ifi.

Technically there is no 'ground signal. in the balanced path. For each channel, you'll have an non-inverted (normal) signal on one conductor wire and an inverted signal on the other conductor wire. So the right channel are made up of R+ (*non-inverted) and R- (*inverted channel), where the left channel are L+ and L-. The non-inverted and inverted signal acts like a pulling-pushing force, doubling the transient speed of the transducer. An 'S-balanced like' ground channel uses an buffer to only pull / sink the signal (R+ or L+) in, giving a similar effect as balanced but via a different mechanism - Since there is no active signal in the S-balanced ground channels, shorting them out isn't a problem. But for a true balanced circuit, you are effectively shorting the active L- and R- signal together - the best case is that it will affect the SQ and performance of the amp section, while the worst case is that you will burn-out the L- and R- amp section all together and destroy your BTR5 (or any balanced source).

Again, never plug any single-ended headphone into a balanced socket, with or without adapter. It will never work that way.

Hey does it come with usbc to usbc cable ? Was just wondering about wired to my galaxy......cheers.

Nope, you'll have to buy your own C-to-C cable.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2020 at 5:01 AM Post #538 of 3,635
I don't know to be honest I didn't open the accessory pack as I already have an USB A to C cable I used for charging. I will check tonight if nobody else as replied by then.

I also have a C to C cable here already that came with my 1TB Samsung SSD drive so I will try wired to my V30 soon

Edit: I just tried V30 wired to BTR5. UAPP is outputting streamed Tidal no problem, BTR5 is showing the correct 96Khz bit rate too. This is a great little device.

Good stuff, I do have a usbc to usbc cable that came with my galaxy s10 but i will purchase a shorter one.

Jan 17, 2020 at 6:16 AM Post #540 of 3,635
Anyone, help! :frowning2:

@FiiO sorry I haven’t reply your comments but now my USB function is doing good only until...

...today my FiiO BTR5’s LED screen goes off permanently! Is anybody experiencing the same? Luckily it didn’t happen while it turned off (otherwise I thought it doesn’t turn on).

I still can hear music but screen is not turned on and so unable to navigate. Was just randomly clicking the power button with phone bluetooth in order to turn it on for now.

Oh no...What am I gonna do? Or What should I do? Been after 1.5 week before this happens. Kindly advise. Thanks...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back