[FiiO BTR15/BTR5 2021/BTR5]Bluetooth DAC and Headphone Amplifier Discussion & Impressions Thread
Dec 10, 2019 at 5:03 PM Post #277 of 3,635
first day impressions are good - only tested against the Tin P1 so far, which are the primary reason I bought the device, everything else I use on the go works just find with my ES100

I have a limited selection of reference amps to test against (the E1DA PD was my go to for these IEMs previously) and the bass performance that doesn't exist when paired with the ES100 is way better, still not thunderous and labored at sub-bass levels (which works "better" on the E1DA)

The size, build, and interface on the device itself are awesome - the FiiO Music app as the only way to control the device from my phone is unfriendly. Pausing music already playing when I am going to adjust audio settings is NOT desired behavior.

Edit: got mine from HiFiGo as a pre-order, in case the person asking about amazon wants somewhere that is actually selling them

Dec 10, 2019 at 6:22 PM Post #278 of 3,635
@Devodonaldson @salla45

My listening for initial impressions was all done over bluetooth using my Samsung Note 10+ as a transport streaming via the Tidal app playing HIFI and master quality songs. I have long since enabled developer options on my phone and regularly adjust the bluetooth audio settings when switching connections. I briefly tried the FiiO app and could hear no appreciable differences.

I tested the USB connection from my phone and immediately noticed the veil. The mid range is recessed but it's not quite as bad as it was in previous cellphone models. I've used the USB output on my Note 10+ for other DACs previously, mainly the Grace m9xx, and was able to tune out the deficiency using a little EQ.

Next, I'll dig up my balanced mmcx cable from ALO and listen more.

Dec 10, 2019 at 6:58 PM Post #279 of 3,635
Just picked up my Btr5, have heard reports that the es100 sounds better in balanced mode in a youtube video made in Chinese. I will disclose my report in 2 days time. I was lucky to get one of the 60 units that arrived into Canada. Supposedly 180 units were expected to come but a fewer than expected quantity was delivered.

Dec 10, 2019 at 10:49 PM Post #280 of 3,635
@Devodonaldson @salla45

My listening for initial impressions was all done over bluetooth using my Samsung Note 10+ as a transport streaming via the Tidal app playing HIFI and master quality songs. I have long since enabled developer options on my phone and regularly adjust the bluetooth audio settings when switching connections. I briefly tried the FiiO app and could hear no appreciable differences.

I tested the USB connection from my phone and immediately noticed the veil. The mid range is recessed but it's not quite as bad as it was in previous cellphone models. I've used the USB output on my Note 10+ for other DACs previously, mainly the Grace m9xx, and was able to tune out the deficiency using a little EQ.

Next, I'll dig up my balanced mmcx cable from ALO and listen more.

Thanks.

Not really getting the veil you mention when using it either in LDAC or USB mode with my PC and Roon.

The BTR5 runs my Beyerdynamic T1s with aplomb and they're no slouches in the detail/resolution department.

In fact Im using it as my main device for the moment, relegated the Mojo to duties in the kitchen via chromecast to feed monitors in there.

I must have cloth ears! :)

Dec 10, 2019 at 11:26 PM Post #281 of 3,635
Sorry did an edit of my post after you quoted it.

Yes they do use same DAC Chips but there are other component factors as well that contribute to the overall sound.

The LG is my dedicated DAP. It is rooted and running in High Impedance Mode with plenty of power. Even so I’m finding myself enjoying the sound from BTR5 more across LDAC with Balanced output.

It could be that the Balanced output offered by the BTR5 is the only differentiator that is making the sound more musical for me. Sound is more holographic 3d, intimate and the bass sounds fuller.

Not sure how accurate it is sounding technically but it certainly has me listening to lot of music right now than I had intending to.
The Fiio has 2 of the same DAC chips that are in the v30. But only uses only uses one DAC in SO mode. That what the chip graphic illustrates on there site.
So there a huge difference. I wonder if we could use it with a balanced to single ended adapter to play in the car I rather use both chips I don’t know why only one chip is used in single ended mode.

Dec 10, 2019 at 11:34 PM Post #282 of 3,635
The Fiio has 2 of the same DAC chips that are in the v30. But only uses only uses one DAC in SO mode. That what the chip graphic illustrates on there site.
So there a huge difference. I wonder if we could use it with a balanced to single ended adapter to play in the car I rather use both chips I don’t know why only one chip is used in single ended mode.
I had read that you can go from balance to SO but not the other way. For whatever reason I have no idea.

Dec 11, 2019 at 12:28 AM Post #283 of 3,635
Thanks.

Not really getting the veil you mention when using it either in LDAC or USB mode with my PC and Roon.

The BTR5 runs my Beyerdynamic T1s with aplomb and they're no slouches in the detail/resolution department.

In fact Im using it as my main device for the moment, relegated the Mojo to duties in the kitchen via chromecast to feed monitors in there.

I must have cloth ears! :)

The veil I refer to only occurs when using the headphone jack or USB on my Samsung phones. I think it's the way Samsung processes music, but I don't hear it any other times I use my phones as a transport. It's why I started using bluetooth headphones years ago with my Note 5 or S8. Hopefully now we're talking about the same thing. Always trust your ears.

I tried out the balanced output with an old ALO silver cable on the Tin P1's a few hours ago and I haven't moved on from this pairing yet. If I'm reading the specs (and hearing) right, there's quite a bit more power from the balanced out and it really does the planars good. I wasn't expecting to use the balanced out, but this will surely be my go to. Any minor sound issues don't stack up with how engaging it is to listen to.

Sometimes there is fade in or a soft pop in that interrupts the beginning of songs regardless of BT or USB input. Anyone else pick up on this?

Dec 11, 2019 at 12:33 AM Post #284 of 3,635
The veil I refer to only occurs when using the headphone jack or USB on my Samsung phones. I think it's the way Samsung processes music, but I don't hear it any other times I use my phones as a transport. It's why I started using bluetooth headphones years ago with my Note 5 or S8. Hopefully now we're talking about the same thing. Always trust your ears.

I tried out the balanced output with an old ALO silver cable on the Tin P1's a few hours ago and I haven't moved on from this pairing yet. If I'm reading the specs (and hearing) right, there's quite a bit more power from the balanced out and it really does the planars good. I wasn't expecting to use the balanced out, but this will surely be my go to. Any minor sound issues don't stack up with how engaging it is to listen to.

Sometimes there is fade in or a soft pop in that interrupts the beginning of songs regardless of BT or USB input. Anyone else pick up on this?

Oh, sorry I thought you were referring to the output from the BTR5.

Yes i get you with the samsung line out signature sound. Ive always had samsung phones and never liked the sound from the 3.5mm jack. It's a lifeless sound to my ears. Just doesn't engage me.

It's why I got the V30 as my "fun" phone. I use the Note 8 for work as it really is a good workhorse, but for music... meh!

PS... I've really not used phones for music via usb at all as I had interference with my Mojo and stuck with DAP for the last few years, so I can't really comment on veiling via USB.

PPS... not noticed any anomalies with the lead-ins to track, like pops or fade-in. Will listen out for it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back