[FiiO BTR15/BTR5 2021/BTR5]Bluetooth DAC and Headphone Amplifier Discussion & Impressions Thread
Dec 10, 2019 at 12:13 AM Post #241 of 3,590
I'm really enjoying the BTR5. I've been listening to it only since getting it last Friday. For me, that's a very +ve indictment, as if it were subpar and leaving me with doubts about its integrity soundwise, then I'd be crawling back to my "full cream" devices already (X7ii/M11).

The point is that the BTR5 is a really fun device which raises the Bluetooth bar to "good enough" to be usable for regular use without being drawn to deficiencies. It's really rather cool to know that there are now such devices available which can raise the status of a decent phone with LDAC output (for example) to compete with basic DAPs, without resorting to using extra wires, dongles and such.

Dec 10, 2019 at 12:20 AM Post #243 of 3,590
1209191931a.jpg
My BTR5 arrived today and I fired it up, connected to my phone via bluetooth and have been listening to music for a little while now. Using CA Atlas on the balance connection and Tidal hifi/YouTube Music videos.
Initial impression is that this BTR5 review that was recently shared nails what I'm experiencing.

One slight difference is that the reviewer didn't notice a difference between the DAC clock settings but I swear I notice a slight improvement when I raise the value to 1 (little smoother).

Compared to my BTR3/ES100 it is bigger/heavier enough that it keeps folding over when clipped on my shirt collar. If I'm looking at it correctly when mounted in the plastic clip the BTR5 has the iem cable plug on top which encourages the folding over. With the clip design it allows you to mount it upside down so I suspect I'll be doing that to lesson the stress/folding on the shirt collar.
All in all this thing is off to a good start, sounds good. I like to EQ so I do wish the BTR5 & BTR3 would support EQ over LDAC (like me ES100) but I don't know if my ears can really notice a difference between LDAC and APTX HD, I guess it's the principle of it.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2019 at 12:26 AM Post #244 of 3,590
Has anyone noticed any

interesting. Yes same DAC(s) in the BTR5 as LG V30 and V40, and possibly other LG series. Different implementation, like you say. When you say "more dynamic/louder" do you mean it sounds more alive, more incisive, via the BTR5, even when volume levels are as matched as you can make them?
Yes sir you described it very well.

Dec 10, 2019 at 12:40 AM Post #246 of 3,590
Does anyone know if this would work as a transport to feed another DAC like Mojo via Bluetooth?

I guess the USB is one way -> input only ->BTR5?

Better direct this to @FiiO - perhaps they could comment on the feasibility, viability and you could discuss rationale also with them? I can't quite see the need myself :)

For a device to receive BT signal then output digitally to an USB DAC, it needs to have USB Host function built-in (which probably needs some kind of OS, decent processing speed and ROM). That is not impossible to do technically, especially since BTR5 has XMOS chipset, but it is well beyond what an BT adapter is intended to do. To have all the hardware and software needed to implement this kind of features, you might as well build an DAP out of it.

Dec 10, 2019 at 1:20 AM Post #248 of 3,590
Sweet, I love my FH7s. I use the short FIIO mmcx balance cable connected to the ES100 and now BTR5. When I want some bass I can add with EQ and reminds me of going out to night clubs.
If you plan to clip the BTR5 on your shirt collar the short cable is the sh!#. I move around alot and hate having a longer cable rolled up and just hanging there tugging on the collar waiting to snag on something.
https://www.fiio.com/newsinfo/161830.html?templateId=1133604

Dec 10, 2019 at 1:58 AM Post #249 of 3,590
I returned my BTR5 yesterday. I would like to hear from Fiio as to whether they think my unit was faulty or whether it is actually incompatible with the Cayin N8 and or other DAPs. Did they only test this with mobile phones at a range of less than 1m?

If they think it was faulty I will order another. If not I am very unimpressed.

Dec 10, 2019 at 2:11 AM Post #250 of 3,590
Have you disabled the charging on BTR5 first?

Genius, thanks I hadn’t thought of that.

Can confirm that with charging turned off it works perfectly with iPhone via the camera kit/ USB adapter.

Also works fine through just USB C on my iPad even with charging turned on.

Even more pleased with it now.

Dec 10, 2019 at 2:27 AM Post #251 of 3,590
If you plan to clip the BTR5 on your shirt collar the short cable is the sh!#. I move around alot and hate having a longer cable rolled up and just hanging there tugging on the collar waiting to snag on something.
https://www.fiio.com/newsinfo/161830.html?templateId=1133604

Make this balanced cable myself, about 45cm in length and is perfect for BTR5 clipping to my shirt collar.

DSC_0009.jpg

Did they only test this with mobile phones at a range of less than 1m?

Just tested my BTR5 (with Sony Xperia 5, LDAC) in an open space, I get over 10m without any signal dropping out.

Dec 10, 2019 at 3:15 AM Post #252 of 3,590
Genius, thanks I hadn’t thought of that.

Can confirm that with charging turned off it works perfectly with iPhone via the camera kit/ USB adapter.

Also works fine through just USB C on my iPad even with charging turned on.

Even more pleased with it now.

Works perfectly with 24/192 files on iPhone, don’t have anything above this to test with but this sounds great.

Dec 10, 2019 at 4:00 AM Post #254 of 3,590
I got mine today.
Initial impressions with my Hyland Saturn One.
Drives them loud enough.
Comparing to my DFR (both usb mode and 3.5mm):
Slightly more congested (noticeably poorer imaging), bass is a little tighter, similarly wide and deep soundstage. However, I would prefer the BTR5 over the DFR because of the bluetooth convenience. I did notice any SQ difference in bluetooth and wired.

Anyone played with the filter and other settings in the control app yet?

Btw, if anyone is interested, you can download the latest firmware here :
https://translate.google.com/transl...oteContent.do?id=201910281104318430028&tid=16

For instructions on how to flash :
https://translate.googleusercontent...700283&usg=ALkJrhjxZp4p_WSSxsUl_zgm-XWCvzDpVA

Dec 10, 2019 at 4:01 AM Post #255 of 3,590
Out of the box impression. Player itself is a bit larger than I expected and not pleased they used a plastic tray for the packaging :angry: and the clip holder looks like thin brittle plastic. Should have put a lanyard hole on the player itself.

Build of the BTR5 itself looks quality.

And to initial impressions on SQ over LDAC (Best quality) form my Sony A105 :astonished:

We really are at a point where you can drop the wire. Sounds fantastic over SE or balanced with my SE846's.

Much better than the BTR3 and holds a signal over BT even when I'm two rooms away with walls between me and the DAP. I couldn't reliably use the BTR3 because even having my body in the way interrupted the signal.

Keeping this, but trouble now I have three great sounding devices with the DFC, A105, BTR5.

White is Balance, Black is SE
20191210_092502.jpg

Can only have the volume on 19 on the BTR5 with my SE846's (A105 BT is max).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back