[FiiO BTR15/BTR5 2021/BTR5]Bluetooth DAC and Headphone Amplifier Discussion & Impressions Thread
Apr 13, 2020 at 1:27 PM Post #1,351 of 3,588
awesome thanks! What EQ settings are you using?

1586798795984.png

Using this one - also notice the -1 for the Clear Bass. My opinion is that they are a bit bassy, so that helped.

Apr 13, 2020 at 8:40 PM Post #1,352 of 3,588
Since my cat managed to destroy my XDP-300R DAP I am looking into the BTR5 as a cheap but capable alternative, hooking it up to a Samsung A50, instead of buying a Fiio M11 or iBasso DX160.

Hopefully someone has the Samsung A50 / BTR5 combination in use and can answer my questions:
1. Will it play bit perfect using the USB-C out of the Samsung using Tidal HiFi and UAPP, so as DAC?
- Googled a lot but still can't find the definite answer, only that Android is upscaling everything to 192kHz.
2. If it does bit perfect, what to look for into a usb-c to usb-c cable specifications, or will any Amazon cable do?
3. In Samsung developer mode I found a list of available (= supported?) BT codecs included LDAC, does this actually mean it can use LDAC?

1. This strongly depends n the USB driver used by the smartphone manufacturer, then it also depends on the particular app. Tidal will probably use the smartphone internal USB Audio driver - I don't know enough of Samsung to tell you much about it, UAPP uses it own driver so it will be bit perfect, as long as you have the right setting.

2. Theoretically any Type-C to Type-C cable will do. Take note to disable charging on BTR5 and maybe you will need to change between USB Class 1 / 2 as well.

3. Yes.

Apr 14, 2020 at 4:05 AM Post #1,353 of 3,588
1. This strongly depends n the USB driver used by the smartphone manufacturer, then it also depends on the particular app. Tidal will probably use the smartphone internal USB Audio driver - I don't know enough of Samsung to tell you much about it, UAPP uses it own driver so it will be bit perfect, as long as you have the right setting.

2. Theoretically any Type-C to Type-C cable will do. Take note to disable charging on BTR5 and maybe you will need to change between USB Class 1 / 2 as well.

3. Yes.
Thanks, alternatively I can play Tidal via UAPP.
Good to know that I am not limited to the SBC codec when using BT towards the BTR5.

Apr 14, 2020 at 6:15 AM Post #1,355 of 3,588
Anyone know how to setting BTR5 to Native DSD Playback so there's no downsampling ?...

The only way I was able to do it is by using foobar2000 with the WASAPI output support component (and SACD Audio Decoder component).

The Components tab in Settings/Preferences menu should show these two:

1586858965521.png

In Playback > Output you should select "DSD: WASAPI" (event or push, doesn't matter):

1586859021122.png

In the end, in Tools > SACD, you should choose "DSD".as Output Mode.

1586859066647.png

The only annoying thing is that you can only play DSD files like this, and you'll have to go back to Playback > Output and choose just "WASAPI (event or push)" (with no DSD) in order to play other normal files.

1586859205157.png

Something nice is that by using the WASAPI outputs, the sample rate on the BTR5 display will always match the one of the file being played.

Edit: When playing DSD via WASAPI, you won't be able to change the volume in the player. Volume change will only work on the device.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2020 at 9:52 AM Post #1,356 of 3,588
The only way I was able to do it is by using foobar2000 with the WASAPI output support component (and SACD Audio Decoder component).

The Components tab in Settings/Preferences menu should show these two:

In Playback > Output you should select "DSD: WASAPI" (event or push, doesn't matter):

In the end, in Tools > SACD, you should choose "DSD".as Output Mode.

The only annoying thing is that you can only play DSD files like this, and you'll have to go back to Playback > Output and choose just "WASAPI (event or push)" (with no DSD) in order to play other normal files.

Something nice is that by using the WASAPI outputs, the sample rate on the BTR5 display will always match the one of the file being played.

Edit: When playing DSD via WASAPI, you won't be able to change the volume in the player. Volume change will only work on the device.

But, when i try it, the status of FiiO Control Panel is downsampling of my DSD Song

1586873143921.png

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2020 at 10:01 AM Post #1,357 of 3,588
But, when i try it, the status of FiiO Control Panel is downsampling of my DSD Song
1586872366447.png

I noticed that FiiO Control Panel shows that. But in a case like this, the BTR5's display was correctly showing DSD64.

So either FiiO Control Panel reports wrong data, which I think it's more likely, as DSD works only when choosing DSD WASAPI and other files don't work with this in our case, or either FiiO is lying and they actually just show DSD64 on the display, but deep down the data is downsampled.

By the way, it's not technically a downsample a 2822400 Hz and 1 bit DSD is kind of equivalent with a 176400 Hz and 16 bit PCM. So in this case we would say that maybe it's not native DSD, but the DSD is converted to a PCM signal.

Apr 14, 2020 at 10:08 AM Post #1,358 of 3,588
I noticed that FiiO Control Panel shows that. But in a case like this, the BTR5's display was correctly showing DSD64.

So either FiiO Control Panel reports wrong data, which I think it's more likely, as DSD works only when choosing DSD WASAPI and other files don't work with this in our case, or either FiiO is lying and they actually just show DSD64 on the display, but deep down the data is downsampled.

By the way, it's not technically a downsample a 2822400 Hz and 1 bit DSD is kind of equivalent with a 176400 Hz and 16 bit PCM. So in this case we would say that maybe it's not native DSD, but the DSD is converted to a PCM signal.

So technically BTR5 not capable DSD to DSD natively or what ?.. I hope it FiiO @FiiO have updated BTR5 firmware..

Apr 14, 2020 at 10:13 AM Post #1,359 of 3,588
So technically BTR5 not capable DSD to DSD natively or what ?.. I hope it FiiO @FiiO have updated BTR5 firmware..

I was saying that it can be one or another, I cannot say for sure. Let me rephrase it:

Option 1: FiiO Control Panel shows wrong info
Option 2: FiiO lied to us, and the BTR5 shows DSD on it's display, but it's actually converting the DSD to a PCM signal

Option 1 seems more plausible, as playing DSD files this way works only if you choose "DSD WASAPI". You would have to reach out to them and ask them why it shows 176400 Hz instead of DSD or something.

Apr 14, 2020 at 10:26 AM Post #1,360 of 3,588
I was saying that it can be one or another, I cannot say for sure. Let me rephrase it:

Option 1: FiiO Control Panel shows wrong info
Option 2: FiiO lied to us, and the BTR5 shows DSD on it's display, but it's actually converting the DSD to a PCM signal

Option 1 seems more plausible, as playing DSD files this way works only if you choose "DSD WASAPI". You would have to reach out to them and ask them why it shows 176400 Hz instead of DSD or something.

I hope the option 1 is make sense for me, i thought BTR5 have full potential capable to play DSD file natively...Option 2 maybe is happened. Maybe this firmware !.0.6 need be fixed
@FiiO have you check it the info of BTR5 in FiiO Control Panel is showing the downsampling the DSD via PCM mode ?.

Apr 14, 2020 at 9:53 PM Post #1,361 of 3,588

Probably just a wrong setting on your end.

DSD plays just fine with mine, with Jriver using FiiO ASIO.

BTR5.jpg

FiiO Control Panel showing DSD mode with 2.8MHz sampling rate when I am playing normal DSD album.

Apr 15, 2020 at 6:19 AM Post #1,365 of 3,588
Since my cat managed to destroy my XDP-300R DAP I am looking into the BTR5 as a cheap but capable alternative, hooking it up to a Samsung A50, instead of buying a Fiio M11 or iBasso DX160.

Hopefully someone has the Samsung A50 / BTR5 combination in use and can answer my questions:
1. Will it play bit perfect using the USB-C out of the Samsung using Tidal HiFi and UAPP, so as DAC?
- Googled a lot but still can't find the definite answer, only that Android is upscaling everything to 192kHz.
2. If it does bit perfect, what to look for into a usb-c to usb-c cable specifications, or will any Amazon cable do?
3. In Samsung developer mode I found a list of available (= supported?) BT codecs included LDAC, does this actually mean it can use LDAC?

Sadly I can't answer any of your questions I'm just curious how the cat broke your DAP

Users who are viewing this thread

Back